Couldn't wait ordered my MacBook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BlackLight, Nov 28, 2008.

1. BlackLight macrumors regular

BlackLight

got it for $1,499.99 , the 2.4ghz model so now i have to wait.. hope its all defect free and alot of awesomeness :) since it's my first macbook in my life....soo guy what did u'll do to pass the time. i've ordered an external hard drive already. thinking of a wireless mouse and the invisible shield thingy :)

2. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Congrats, you'll love it. I'd recommend holding off on the mouse though. When you get used to the glass trackpad you'll find that for most things it's much better than a mouse. The multi finger swipes are amazing.

3. BlackLight thread starter macrumors regular

BlackLight

think so too ....think the excitement is getting to my head

4. redcrow240 macrumors member

I too am on the same boat as you BlackLight. I went to the Apple store on friday with my fiance and she bought me the 2.4 macbook and a 500gb time capsule. This will be my first mac as well. The time capsule purchase was spur of the moment, but she insisted that I get it so the "laptop doesnt have any excuses cause they'll both be N" lol. Looks like she did a little research beforehand.

Today I plan on opening the laptop to make sure there are no dead pixels or anything like that. If all is well, It'll get repackaged, wrapped and put under the tree. The screen is my top concern. Slanted keys and loose battery covers are problems that could be fixed much easier (in my opinion). Aside from those parts being more easily replaceable, there are youtube videos on user solutions to them. I know Those problems shouldnt be happening, but dead pixels are of greater concern to me.

I would hold off on the mouse purchase. Ive been reading the threads around here alot and people get really comfortable with the glass trackpad and the whole gesture thing.

I wanted to ask first time switchers, if they will be purchasing pc emulation software and a copy of windows? Personally I wanted to get a few more accessories for the macbook, but Im leaning towards saving up for a copy of windows xp builders edition from amazon, and perhaps parallels or vm fusion.
    Its not because I'm a superfan of pc's or anything.....but more because I'm planning to go back to school for my masters degree and want to be prepared just in case they require incompatible windows software and stuff (I'm going for an MBA, so maybe math programs or something).

PS- could somebody please confirm that a time capsule could be used as an external/network harddrive AND it can be used to backup my new laptop? I can do both and not just pick a single function? I only ask because if i cant use it as an external hardrive, I dont think id have much use for it.

5. StuBeck macrumors 6502

a time capsule is just a NAS (network attached storage) and with any time machine drive, you can use it as a normal hard drive as well. Just need to copy files over. After a while you'll run out of space on time machine, but it will just take away older backups.

6. ebika macrumors 6502

Before buying Fusion or Parallels (both nice software), you also should consider the free options of just using bootcamp and/or using VirtualBox (you're still on the hook for a Windows license). There's also CrossOver Office as an alternative to buying a license for Windows, but CrossOver Office has a hit or miss record of supporting apps.

7. redcrow240 macrumors member

Well I just wanted to let you guys know that I ended up having to go to the apple store today with my fiance to exchange my macbook :(. My worst fear basically came true lol . I had three dead pixels on the screen, but in very noticeable places.

I must give props to the apple store team, they handled the situation extremely well. They just verified the screen, went and got me another one and I checked it at the store to make sure I wasnt getting another bad screen. There was no additional charge.

8. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Congrats. Welcome to the Mac World. You will love that new baby. If anything does go wrong (heaven forbid) just call Apple and they will make you happy by taking in your defective unit and repairing it or replacing it entirely.

9. serega macrumors regular

I've ordered my self 2.0 ghz model so it will arrive in 2 -3 days. One concern I have is absence of FW port. I did not want to order a little older technology which is white one. Also I wonder if hard drive and memory easy accessible to replace if needed in the future.

10. BlackLight thread starter macrumors regular

BlackLight

I'm really hoping I'm one of the lucky ones... it would make my experience of switching to a mac even much better. After all I've never purchased a windows based pc and i had to return it.

11. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

I wouldn't say you were a lucky one to get a defect free MacBook. The vast majority of them are defect free. People that have perfect MacBooks just don't come on here to complain about it. Tech forums create a belief that 75 percent of these things are falling apart.

12. fandsw macrumors regular

Agree 100%. Got my 2.4 today from Apple online, it's perfect: No pixel issues, all keys are straight, the bottom battery is fine. Compared to the Acer PC it's replacing this MacBook is scary good...... Hope to have it for at least 5 years.......

13. socco macrumors regular

I just ordered mine too. Got the 2.4Ghz on eBay for $1220 (after $200 + $100 rebates). I'm nervous buying it off of eBay, but the seller had 100% feedback and I looked through all his past transactions and they all looked legit. Decided to go up to a 500GB HD and 4GB of RAM. Only cost $84 and $63 respectively. Under $1400 for all of that. It's my first laptop and my first mac, so I'm excited!

14. Elevendy macrumors newbie

I also order a 2.4Ghz on eBay with those rebates -no upgrades, though. It's also my first laptop and Mac, not to mention the first computer I purchased with my own money. I've been planning to buy the new MacBook since it was released but I still feel like it was an impulse buy. I'm so nervous. I'm already wringing my hands because I think something terrible will happen. I'm excited, too! I don't know what to do with myself.

15. BlackLight thread starter macrumors regular

BlackLight

I'm so excited myself can hardly contain myself always checking the status of mine ..hasn't shipped yet maybe tomorrow but I'm just praying nothing bad happens, nervous,excited..imagine i have already downloaded a bunch of stuff to install (am i loosing it?)..gosh... i just can't wait to hold it my very first mac

16. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

The most amazing thing about a Mac is that you can just take it out of the box and begin using it. With my previous PC notebooks the first thing I got when I turned the stupid things on were the dreaded

HEY GUESS WHAT, YOUR FREE 30 DAY TRIAL OF NORTON ANTIVIRUS HAS BEGUN! CLICK HERE TO UPGRADE TO THE FULL VERSION.

and other such crapware notices. Then like 10 different useless programs would load up in the tray covering half the bottom of the screen, and I'd need to spend the first two hours uninstalling all that junk.

With the Mac you spend like 2 minutes filling out an Apple registration form, and then you get a nice, uncluttered desktop with zero crapware. It's such a refreshing change :)

17. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Your fiance sounds like one intelligent lady, and she bought you a Macbook:D

18. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

^ Yea I agree. Not many ladies at my high school even know what a Mac is. I just point to our library's lab of white iMacs and they go "ohhh!" those white thingies. :rolleyes: anyway, glad to see some female know a little more tech stuff than average lol.

19. redcrow240 macrumors member

lol thanks for the compliments guys. I actually took her to see the movie Bolt 3D that very same day (she's 24 but appreciates animated films like I do). She pushes Disney, I push miyazaki :D She pointed out everytime she saw a mac in the movie lol. There was also a "blackbook" in the preview for that new movie starring Dwayne The Rock Johnson. Now that I'm an "apple owner" I'm seeing them everywhere :eek: . Its like when you like a car you start seeing it more often.

Tomorrow Both the macbook and the time capsule are coming back (to be put under my tree). Im sure its gonna be agony waiting all those days lol. I'm trying to watch all the videos at apple.com and reading as much as I can about how to get the most out of my new macbook. Any suggestions are welcome.

I might have had a laptop before, but I never really could take advantage of it. My HP dv1000 always had about an hour of battery life (when using wifi). Nowadays it has less than 40 minutes of battery life. With the macbook, I plan on at least going out to my porch without fearing a quick hybernating screen or something like that. I might even "risk it" and go to a library or coffee shop :) The possibilities are endless.

20. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

My wife is really good also. When I get something new that is electronics, she'll figure it out on her own. When she got her Mac, she figured out a lot on her own and she never owned a Mac before.