Couple Busted for Refusing to Pay Tip

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by mscriv, Nov 19, 2009.

1. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Link

Wow! How silly. It's a shame police time was wasted on this.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    I wouldn't have tipped either. Once an old man told me at one of my tables, that tips meant to insure proper service. I being a server myself don't like tipping when servers do a crappy job either. I know how the job is supposed to be done, and don't like when servers aren't attentive or nice. :)

3. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

That acronym would only work if you were asked to "tep" the server...

Steve.

4. harperjones99 macrumors 6502

They should go after the pub for their court costs and lost wages after it get's tossed out. It's embarrassing this kind of thing even gets to court. The police should have told the pub owner to get bent. You arrest people when they break a law not over this kind of crap.

5. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would have refused to pay the tip too. Though I would simply have walked away after paying the other part of the bill.

6. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

there re places that right on the menu has gratuity added to the price. it is really only raising prices without looking like they are getting raised. like smaller containers of food but that cost the same.

7. savoirfaire macrumors 6502

savoirfaire

The automatic gratuity thing is definitely annoying. I don't have any problem with the concept of tipping, but a lot of waitstaff don't really feel that they need to "earn" tips anymore. On top of that, I've seen other discussions where waiters and waitresses express outrage that a customer would dare to leave a paltry 15% tip. :rolleyes:

In this case, I'd say the European countries that don't allow tipping at all have it right.

8. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

I know. I was thinking about telling that to him too, but he would have gotten angry. ;) It was a nice try though. Ensure Insure same diff. :D

9. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

10. Scippy macrumors regular

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I understand suggested gratuity but mandatory?

I see the couple suing the restaurant out of oblivion.

12. sammich macrumors 601

sammich

Tipping, isn't it about the customer giving the server/waiter some money because they get paid squat? 18% is also absolutely insane, so it's some tax that gets levied on everyone?

13. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

A place that has a mandatory 18% gratuity is a place where I'm not going to patronize any sit-down restaurants! You have now entered a fast-food only zone. Of course, if they pass that where I live, then I can just eat at home.

15. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

A lot of restaurants have gone to mandatory gratuities for larger parties. There were 8 people in the group, so I guess the mandatory gratuity kicked in. Personally, I would have tried to talk my way out of the tip. If that didn't work, I would have paid it and told them I would never go back.

Hopefully, this will get thrown out of court. It seems hard to believe that they just couldn't settle this at the restaurant. Sad, that they were arrested for $13.

16. solchitlins macrumors regular

Large parties are notorious for not leaving tips. Every one seems to forget what they ordered when the check arrives.

Here in Michigan Wait staff make $2.65 an hour plus tips.

Allot of Bars/Restaurant's have started making their Wait Staff claim "pay taxes" on 18% of their sales whether they actually collected those tips or not.

The taxation of gratuity started in the Reagan era, btw.

It's a crummy job where everyone and their brother thinks your beneath them and take out their daily frustrations on you.

Not to forget that owning a Bar or Restaurant is one of the hardest ways to make money period.

My family owned a Tavern for 34 years.

This all said I still don't believe in adding the gratuity right on the bill but I understand why it is done.

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Probably around the same time that people started deciding that they deserve to be rewarded for just showing up.

I start at 15% and move up or down accordingly based on the level of service.

18. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

While I do understand there's the intrinsic need for tipping I will NEVER tip if the service isn't worth it, if they don't do their job why should I tip for that?

Depending on where I go also dictates tipping, why does a restaurant require a tip while Burger King doesn't?

19. solchitlins macrumors regular

Because Burger King is required to pay minimum wage where a employee working for tips only has to be paid $2.65 per hour.

"far below minimum wage"

20. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

In Utah, I was payed $2.13/hr as a server. :eek:

21. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Because except in rare circumstances, when you go to BK they don't service your table the way they do in a real restaurant.

22. 184550 Guest

Every sit down place I have ever been in has a policy/ statement on the back of the menu, underneath the drink selection usually, that states that for groups that are larger than 6-8 people, an automatic tip of 15 to 18 percent is included on the final bill for the table. This is not uncommon at all to me. It would seem that by sitting down and ordering the food you are agreeing to the terms and conditions of the establishment.

However, I think that is it pathetic that the police were called and had to waste their time over such a petty arguement.

Edit: So the party was eight people total and they really wanted to argue over $2 bucks a person??? If you can't afford that kind of change, perhaps you shouldn't be going out to begin with...

23. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I noticed the bit where they offered to "Comp" them for it. If that means either "Compensate" financially or even better, means the meal would be "Complimentary". Why the hell would they refuse it then refuse a tip? Anyone would have asked how they intended to "Comp" them and then make their tipping decision based on that.

I think getting the police involved is pathetic either way.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I am going to side with the people here for not paying the tip. I know at a resturant if I get crap service as describe by the people then you are damn right I will walk out with out paying a tip.

Requirments to get a tip from me.
    1.) keep my drinks full
    2.) I expect to be check on at every now and then

Basicly if they do their damn job I give them 15-20%

In all the times I hve gone out to eat I have only not tip once and the service was crap. i was never check on. My food sat WAITING to be brought to me a good 15 min (saw it sitting there the entire time) to get my drinks refilled I had to do it my self. my server never check on me once while I was eating.

My food was dropped on the table very rudely.

I tipped 1 penny to prove I though about it.

25. nick1516 macrumors 6502a

nick1516

I saw this earlier, with this kind of service, I wouldn't have tipped either.