Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Hey everyone, I'm looking into buying a 13" MBA, i5, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM, US Keyboard and I have a dilemma. I live in Portugal, and in the online Universia education Apple Store, the aforementioned model costs 1.563,33 €. But in the corresponding Spanish store, it costs 1.517,48 €, AND it comes with an 80 € "back to school" gift card. So naturally, my choice would be to buy through the Spanish online store, have it sent to someone I know in Spain, and then pick it up/have it shipped here. The thing is, I have no idea how this whole thing works in terms of warranty and service.

In the first year, the warranty should be provided by Apple, universally, so regardless of where I bought it, I should have coverage wherever I am, right? So if something goes wrong, I should be able to go to a Portuguese service provider, and get service, right?

Now, according to European consumer laws, the seller should provide 2 years warranty to the sold product. If I buy from the Spanish online Apple Store, and I have some problem down the road (let's say a year and a half from now), could I go to Apple service providers here in Portugal to fix it? Or would I need to call the Apple online store in Spain? And physically go to some service provider in Spain?

Cheers

EDIT: Since this isn't really a matter specific to the Macbook Air, I guess it could be moved somewhere more general...

Last edited:

RocketRed

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2012
Yes. The warranty on all Macbooks are universal, so with my Macbook Air that I purchased in USA, should it have an issue and I happen to be in China, the Apple Store there will take care of my Macbook Air as long as I have the serial number of my machine.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Yes. The warranty on all Macbooks are universal, so with my Macbook Air that I purchased in USA, should it have an issue and I happen to be in China, the Apple Store there will take care of my Macbook Air as long as I have the serial number of my machine.

Ok, thank you. What about the second year?

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
It shouldn't matter. Both Portugal and Spain are EU members, hence convered under this EU law.

Of course, that's what I mention in the OP. However, are the Apple online Store in Spain considered the same "seller" as the Apple online Store in Portugal, to the extent that if I buy from the Spanish, the Portuguese could provide the second year of coverage?

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Ok, thank you. What about the second year?

I'm Spanish and I can tell you these big companies don't care about the 2-year warranty law. They just give 1 year.

I think they're pretty clever. Try getting a free repair after the first year. They'll gently tell you NO. You could obviously sue them and try to make them fix it, but I think you'd spend much more money than buying a new machine.

ghettochild

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Of course, that's what I mention in the OP. However, are the Apple online Store in Spain considered the same "seller" as the Apple online Store in Portugal, to the extent that if I buy from the Spanish, the Portuguese could provide the second year of coverage?

Why don't you call support and ask them? For example, say you bought a mac in Spain, about 1.5 years ago and the screen (or whatever) gives you trouble.

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
I'll resume you the call.

- Hey, I bought a MBP 18 months ago and the screen is all red when I turn the computer on.
+ Do you have Apple Care.
- No.
+ Then it's out of warranty.
- But in Europe you must offer 2 years.

Guy already hang up.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012

- Hey, I bought a MBP 18 months ago and the screen is all red when I turn the computer on.
- No.

Guy already hang up.

They've been getting some bad publicity about it in the last couple of month, Italy's consumer protection sued them big time, if I'm not mistaken. It may have been like that before, but I'm confident that they've straightened up a bit. My only question is regarding cross-country operations...

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
They've been getting some bad publicity about it in the last couple of month, Italy's consumer protection sued them big time, if I'm not mistaken. It may have been like that before, but I'm confident that they've straightened up a bit. My only question is regarding cross-country operations...

I assure you they haven't changed a bit in that aspect. Simply put: They care **** all about that law.

I friend of mine's MBP just died (when turned on/pluged to charge it starts beeping non stop). Went to the Apple Store and they intend to make her pay. She mentioned this law. They showed themselves pretty sensitive, but told her to either pay the repair or get a new one.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005

- No.

Guy already hang up.

The manufacturer doesn't have to offer anything. It is the seller. If you called a number where Apple as the manufacturer gives support, or if you didn't buy directly from Apple, then they are totally right.

If you buy a Mac at the Apple online store, the Apple online store is responsible, depending on the laws of the country where you bought. If you buy from an Apple bricks and mortar store, that store is responsible. If you buy from PCWorld, then PCWorld is responsible.

No, Italy sued them for a very subtle point about Apple Care: They said that Apple should have told customers more clearly what rights they have against the seller, because the value of Apple Care is what rights AppleCare gives you, minus the value of the rights that you had anyway. So when you look at the description of AppleCare, it will tell you now more clearly what rights you have against the seller - it doesn't change what Apple will or will not do for you.

I'm Spanish and I can tell you these big companies don't care about the 2-year warranty law. They just give 1 year.

That's because the big company that makes your computer doesn't have to give you any warranty. It is the little shop that sold the computer to you.

They are a different seller. What you should also consider: If something goes really wrong, and you have any real trouble with your computer, you will be in Portugal, the seller will be in Spain, and most likely no court in Portugal will help you.

Last edited:

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
Here in Spain, when a Mac is bought in our WallMart kind of stores, they do give those 2 years. Go to the actual Apple Store and ask. They'll tell you it's just 1 year. You tell them that Europe says it must be 2. They say "OK, buy the AppleCare then".

And I know this because I had this conversation last week when I bought my MBA.

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
No, Italy sued them for a very subtle point about Apple Care: They said that Apple should have told customers more clearly what rights they have against the seller, because the value of Apple Care is what rights AppleCare gives you, minus the value of the rights that you had anyway. So when you look at the description of AppleCare, it will tell you now more clearly what rights you have against the seller - it doesn't change what Apple will or will not do for you.

Sure, it doesn't change what they have to do, just exposes a situation of lack of compliance with international law. Their documentation didn't mention at all those 2 years you get by EU law, and constantly mentioned that if you wanted more than 1 year, you had to get Apple Care. They were intentionally hiding information in order to boost Apple Care sales.
The fact that they have changed positions and published new documentation addressing this shows that they at least recognize that they, if contracted not only as a product manufacturer, but also as a product seller, through both the regular and online Apple Store, have to provide service for the second year, in compliance with the established law. If they refuse, you can just point them to that article on their website...

dasx

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2012
Barcelona
That's because the big company that makes your computer doesn't have to give you any warranty. It is the little shop that sold the computer to you.

Isn't an official Apple Store part of this big company? We didn't have actual Apple Stores some years ago, but now we do. And they just offer a 1 year warranty!

Blackened Apple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Ok, so if you were in my situation, what would you do?

If I buy from the Universia Apple online Store in Spain, it comes to 1.517,48 €, plus the 80 € gift card, versus 1.563,33 € in the Portugal Universia store, no gift card. If I buy from a physical shop, with the 6 % student discount, it comes to 1.597,06 €, no gift card, and it takes longer to arrive.

The physical store would naturally be the best option when it comes to support, with both the Portuguese and the Spanish online stores seemingly getting their hands off the 2nd year of warranty. But hell, even if I buy 3-year Apple Care from the Spanish Universia store, it still comes to a total of 1.692,12 €, when you factor out the 80 €, it becomes 1.612,12 €... Isn't that the best option?

Oh, decisions, decisions...

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
The eu warrenty laws only cover you for a Pre existing fault so yes buy AppleCare!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.