Couple of questions about forums

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by mac_in_tosh, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mac_in_tosh macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

1. How do I stop receiving emails telling me someone posted in a thread I'm following? Alerts would be sufficient for me. I thought I had found out how but I'm still getting emails.

2. Why do I occasionally get a forum error message "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action" even for threads where I have already posted?

Thanks.

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Go in to Preferences and untick the "and receive email notifications of replies" box.

Are they news threads which have been moved to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum since you posted in them? As a new member you do not qualify to make posts in that forum.

3. mac_in_tosh thread starter macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Thanks for the prompt reply. That box is already unticked.

Yes, that's it.

4. rshrugged macrumors 6502a

5. mac_in_tosh, Dec 7, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2016

mac_in_tosh thread starter macrumors regular

mac_in_tosh

Okay, I see how to do that for each individual thread. Also I notice that not all my watched threads have "email" in the lower right corner, so maybe there was a delay between my unticking and receive email notifications of replies and it actually taking effect. Will see how it goes from here on out. Thanks.

Edit: or maybe unticking that box doesn't stop emails from previous threads, only ones going forward.

6. C DM macrumors Westmere

Correct, that setting applies from the moment you change it, while the previously subscribed threads retain the setting that was there when they were subscribed to (until you go back to those threads and change the setting for them).