Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
1. How do I stop receiving emails telling me someone posted in a thread I'm following? Alerts would be sufficient for me. I thought I had found out how but I'm still getting emails.

2. Why do I occasionally get a forum error message "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action" even for threads where I have already posted?

Thanks.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
1. How do I stop receiving emails telling me someone posted in a thread I'm following? Alerts would be sufficient for me. I thought I had found out how but I'm still getting emails.
Go in to Preferences and untick the "and receive email notifications of replies" box.

2. Why do I occasionally get a forum error message "You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action" even for threads where I have already posted?
Are they news threads which have been moved to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum since you posted in them? As a new member you do not qualify to make posts in that forum.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Go in to Preferences and untick the "and receive email notifications of replies" box.

Thanks for the prompt reply. That box is already unticked.

Are they news threads which have been moved to the Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum since you posted in them? As a new member you do not qualify to make posts in that forum.

Yes, that's it.

mac_in_tosh

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 6, 2016
Earth
Okay, I see how to do that for each individual thread. Also I notice that not all my watched threads have "email" in the lower right corner, so maybe there was a delay between my unticking and receive email notifications of replies and it actually taking effect. Will see how it goes from here on out. Thanks.

Edit: or maybe unticking that box doesn't stop emails from previous threads, only ones going forward.

Last edited:
Reactions: 997440

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Edit: or maybe unticking that box doesn't stop emails from previous threads, only ones going forward.
Correct, that setting applies from the moment you change it, while the previously subscribed threads retain the setting that was there when they were subscribed to (until you go back to those threads and change the setting for them).

Reactions: Scepticalscribe
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.