Couple of questions regarding White iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by richardc1983, May 31, 2011.

1. richardc1983, May 31, 2011
    Last edited: May 31, 2011

richardc1983 macrumors regular

I had my black iPhone 4 stolen/lost whilst on holiday last week and whilst waiting for the insurance people to sort my claim out I have just ordered a white iPhone 4 as a replacement.

Can anyone confirm what the differences (if any) between the black and white versions.

I have heard they fixed the death grip and the proximity sensor issues?

Is there improvement on battery life or any other improvements worth knowing about other than the obvious colour.

Thank you.

2. Hype2k2 macrumors 6502

Hype2k2

Only difference is that it is white.

3. Slix macrumors 6502a

Slix

The white one is not black, and that's all that's different.

4. richardc1983, May 31, 2011

richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

5. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

Everything you read on the internet is true, you know.

It's the same phone. There is no difference.

6. AndrewR23 macrumors 68040

Heres a better response. The screen is a little more yellower than the blueish tint of a new black iPhone 4.

Ive noticed that screen protectors and my Otterbox do not work with the white iPhone proximity sensor.

The death grip is a little better.

7. Los macrumors regular

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

There have been some reports saying that the iPhone 4 in white is slightly thicker. It's not really that big of a deal though.

9. awadeee, May 31, 2011

awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I was actually just about to post, regarding this issue. I was curious about this and am investing in a white iPhone 4 soon. I had never had my hands on one and had many questions about it before shelling out the cash. Fortunately for me, a guy in my psychology class has one and he let me handle it. I scrutinized it carefully under my eyes and discovered that the white iPhone 4 is NOT thicker than the black one at all. He also said that the proximity sensor and the camera worked amazingly.

10. pyro008 macrumors 6502

The difference in thickness was measures in millimeters, so its not really something you could see anyways.

11. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

On the photos even the millimeters were noticeable. The front piece was obviously thicker than the back. I did not see the same problem with this guy's 4.

12. Yog macrumors newbie

Yog

Interesting...

On the Otterbox web site, Otterbox says their Defender case will NOT fit the new white iPhone 4.

They did not give a detailed explanation.

I wonder what the issue is and what is the difference.

Yog

13. pyro008 macrumors 6502

Well I heard (and I may be completely wrong, but this is what I remember) that the article from engadget was based on a defective batch that were a bit thicker than the blacks, but the actual white models are a tiny bit (fractions of a millimeter?) thicker, but not really enough to make a difference.
    I think it has to do with the proximity sensor.

14. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well I was just pointing it out. To be honest, I doubt you'll be able to tell the difference of 2mm but that's not really that big of a deal. I mean, if you like white, just go for it. 2mm wont kill you, right? :eek:

I'm still on the fence on whether i like black or white more. white looks nice when its really white, but some photos show it as yellowish and thats ... yuck. will have to see it in person.

15. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

Same phone yellow tint maybe on some phones but not my white it matches my black one just fine. And the screen protector and prox sensor nothing the same as black it works

16. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

17. HPLouis macrumors regular

There is no difference. Here's my proof:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52763550@N02/

I have 3 of them, 2 black on 4.2.1 with the 1.59.00 baseband and the white one is on 4.3.3 with the 4.10 baseband.

One black one has a bluish screen and the white and the other black one has the yellowish screen. They all have good proximity sensors and all have the death grip if I squeeze them hard enough.

18. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Understood man! I wasn't trying to start anything. And trust me, it's white. The same white that the good old white iPod nano 2nd gen and iPod Video were. :D

The yellow lighting you saw in photos may have been from the lighting the environment?

It has to do with the screen protector and how the proximity sensor doesn't work when it's installed.

19. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I wasn't trying to start anything either! haha (looking back at my post ... maybe I should reword that :D )
    Thanks! Do you mean the 1st generation Nanos though? I'm pretty sure the second gens were solid colors. I have a first gen nano. It's pretty nice actually. I just hope that the iPhone 4 wouldn't scratch as easily. Still on the fence though ... not sure how I like the proximity sensor to be honest. I'll have to check it out in store.

20. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

It's okay bro! I think we've all come to realize that it's very hard to convey tone across text, I wouldn't worry too much! :p

And yeah, I totally meant first gen haha. Where the choices were black and white. And in my opinion, the proximity sensor looks kinda cool! Matches the black antenna bands on the silver midpiece. :D

21. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Hmm.. I guess. But the black/silver would match my macbook pro. With that being said, I think white looks nice! haha. *hopes there is a new iPhone next week so i can justify upgrading my cell phone" lol

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Since this sentence is as clear as mud, I'll ask the question. What happened to your black iPhone 4? Drop it in the toilet, leave in a cab, someone steal it?

23. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

good point, if the OP still had the phone, he could have paid $200 for a replacement instead of buying a new phone outright for full price

24. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

answer this, what is the difference between a black BMW and a white BMW. Then you'll find your answer.

25. richardc1983 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes sorry the phone was lost/pick pocketed whilst on a night out.