(COUPON) Unlocking Explained (Very Well) AT&T Verizon CDMA and GSM (COUPON)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wesselya, Sep 10, 2014.

1. wesselya, Sep 10, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2014

wesselya macrumors member

I first of all want to say that I do not work for any unlocked service provider.

I have seen many threads about unlocking phones and many questions about the process. I just wanted to clear things up.

Unlocking BTW is always through Apple servicer and is requested by the main carriers or 3rd party people (Unlocking services Example Swift Unlock)

Verizon information:

1. Verizon Iphones are unlocked for CDMA (Verizon and Sprint) and for all GSM.
    2. Verizon Iphone 5 will work on GSM (ATT & T mobile - the rest of the domestic and the world) but will not connect to LTE! So GSM people buying IPhone 5 unlocked from verizion it does not pick up on LTE GSM bands.
    3. Verizon 5s/5c are the motherload. The will work on GSM and CDMA worldwide.
    4. Save your money if you have Verizon and don't fall for the unlocking scheme.

What is CDMA you ask? Well. Without going into to much detail it was a way to register phones through the carrier. These phones usually didn't have a SIM card slot and were more secure against theft. If someone stole your phone only the carrier could register it. THUS having good or bad ESN!. I wont go into more detail but bad ESN Verizon iPhones 5 and above can still be used on GSM carriers.

ATT:
    1. If you unlock your Iphone you can use it with any GSM carrier.
    2. Att will unlock any phone out of a service contract for free. This is why most unlock services offer a 60% success rate for half the price. They offer a service that you can get for free.
    3. If you are in service contract ATT will not unlock your phone. All these people saying you can call ATT and they might help, well you have a 0.000000002% success rate. You can pay the ETF but no one wants to do that. Most of the people looking to unlock their phone fall in this category.
    4. I would recommend SWIFT or Unlock Fusion! (same service provider) I used them ever since the unlocks were less than $2. I used it to try my luck with a 60% success rate for a iphone in contract and got a REFUND. Now I submitted an unlock for $45 for an iphone 5s.

** I have not used Chronic but I have been told he gets his service from unlock fusion. Maybe that's why he charges a premium for the same service. $65?!

I am not happy about unlocking at $45 but I sell my phones overseas and make a good profit.

What is GSM you ask. I wont explain but the rest of the world uses GSM. CDMA is a dying standard and I am not sure why Verizon is sticking to it. I guess that's how they keep their customers from switching with their equipment!

The only downside of unlocking with these services is. If you need to replace your phone with Apple (Warranty) the new phone might not be unlocked. I had an instance where apple server kept the new phone unlocked. The second issue is for the unlocking to work you need to restore your phone for it to get the unlock code from APPLE SERVER!

So you will need to sync all your songs and videos again. You can create a backup for everything else.

Unlocking does not affect any service or unlimited data plan. The carrier doesn't even monitor if you do it through these third party venders.

Hopefully this clears things up. I think all the bad reviews for swift unlock are people trying to save money and purchase the 60% success rate service on an in contract or blacklisted phone. As I mentioned before I am not happy paying $45! but that's the current price 30 days ago it was $110!

I am sure with the new unlocking bill making it legit unlocking prices will continue to go down.

Advice to the wise. If you get an IPhone at full price go with Verizon if you don't want to deal with unlocking it. I am a ATT customer but usually have a Verizon IPhone because I buy and sell them all the time. I hate ATT service because they make such a big deal about unlocking their devices.

Feel free to give me feedback. This was basic guide so I tried to dumb it down as much as possible.

PM me with any questions.

Here is a coupon for Swift: Its an extra 5% already reduced prices! UNLOCk your phone people!

coupon code: MACRUMORS14

http://www.swiftunlocks.com/unlock/att-iphone-3-3g-3gs-4-4s-5-premium-100-found

coupon code: MACRUMORS5

http://www.swiftunlocks.com/unlock/premium-at-t-iphone-5s-or-5c-guaranteed-method-100-success

2. thiswho macrumors member

So assuming that I purchase a Verizon iPhone 6, and then want to go to AT&T (Or Straight Talk), then I can use the VERIZON purchased iPhone 6 on AT&T LTE?

3. asp821 macrumors newbie

I have this same question.

4. wesselya thread starter macrumors member

No one knows if the new Verizon Iphone 6 will work the same way the 5C or 5S but everyone speculates that they will. APPLE was sick of making two different model phones after Iphone 4. (Iphone 4 Verizon had no SIM Slot) so they told Verizon: " Listen we will make you a CDMA phone even though the rest of the world only uses GSM but your phones will be unlocked to GSM. Take it or leave it!"

Verizon was probably cornered and said ok because we are not going GSM!

Advantage of having a Verizon phone is that you can go both ways CDMA or GSM. so yes straight talk (GSM)or anyone else will work. Friend of mine is moving to Italy and has a Verizon Iphone 5s. Told him to keep it.

Thank you.

5. asp821 macrumors newbie

Thank you for answering this. I made a thread asking this question and I was ignored. I appreciate you being quick with an answer.

6. wesselya thread starter macrumors member

NP. This has been a blurry subject for some reason. But its very simple and straight forward.

Enjoy!

7. Phone Junky macrumors 6502

I had Verizon service and a Verizon iPhone 5S. Switched to AT&T. Popped out the Verizon SIM card and put in the AT&T SIM card. That simple. If the iPhone 6 works the same, then yes, you can use the Verizon iPhone on AT&T.

8. wxman2003 Suspended

Yes. That is how the Verizon 5S works. You can take it to T mobile or AT&T, swap sims and use their LTE network. All the LTE bands are in the 5S, as they will be in the 6.

9. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

just to make sure, i can bring my 5s verizon oversea (Hong Kong), get a prepaid SIM card and be on my way right.

10. wesselya thread starter macrumors member

yes! 100% don't pay Verizon for their bogus international plans!

11. asp821 macrumors newbie

Another question! I'm planning on using my dad's upgrade on Verizon to obtain an iPhone since I'm currently under contract on AT&T. If I get the Verizon phone and activate it on AT&T, will anything happen to his line with Verizon besides him losing the chance to upgrade for another 2 years?

12. richardbb85 macrumors 6502a

thank you

13. thehustleman macrumors 65816

Not quite, they kept the lock on the 4s and the physical hardware is the same but the FCC is the reason the 5 and later are unlocked.

14. wesselya thread starter macrumors member

Nope! Other than you taking advantage of your father nothing :eek:). He might need to activate the phone on Verizon. Than call customer service and ask them to switch him back to his iphone 5 (ESN). Then you can use his (Your) Iphone on ATT.

15. marvel2 macrumors 6502

So I guess the issue now is that we need to confirm that the Verizon iPhone 6 will work the same way as the 5S/5C where it is unlocked for GSM AT&T LTE use right out of the box.

I'm also one of those guys on AT&T and want to get a Verizon iPhone 6 for better resale value down the road.

16. wesselya thread starter macrumors member

Most people are ALMOST Certain :) but almost is not 100%. in concern with resale value, you can wait or unlocking down the line will be $45 or maybe the 2$ unlock will come back. All depends on ATT policy. Cant go wrong with either though.

17. marddin macrumors 6502

Just so I'm clear, once I upgrade to iPhone 6, I can take my iPhone 5S that is not longer under a contract and unlock it for free at At&T?

18. m3nphls macrumors member

Of course it will be certain, it's even listed on http://www.apple.com/iphone/LTE. You guys forget Verizon is mandated by the FCC to have those phones factory unlocked.

19. wesselya thread starter macrumors member

Yes just google ATT unlock request. You get 5 free request a year. I would wait a couple of days for your old phone to register as not being under contract.

----------

Where is the link to this mandate?

Why is ATT not mandated to have theirs unlocked. That wouldn't be fair to Verizon...

20. RollTideGrl macrumors newbie

Ok..Here's my question..I am purchasing the iphone 6 in full. I am on Sprint right now so can I purchase the Sprint phone and go elsewhere or will I have to purchase a Verizon phone and use it on Sprint network? I don't see anything about Sprint phones and just a little bit confused.

Thanks for you help

21. wesselya thread starter macrumors member

Everyone hates sprint that's why :) Sprint and Verizon use CDMA. As long as good ESN you should be able to use it on Verizon. The problem with sprint is that their phones do not come factory unlocked. from what I know its a pain to get them unlocked. They are usually the most expensive. If you buy full price I think they require that you stay an active customer for more than 30 days for them to unlock it free.

Personally I wouldn't get a sprint phone. I would prefer to buy a Verizon full price on craigslist.

Sorry I'm not biased but SPRINT really :)

Look what I found:

Unlock your Sprint device

Many Sprint phones or tablets ('devices') have been programmed with a master subsidy lock or 'MSL' that locks the device to certain operational parameters for use on Sprint's network and prevents the device from attempting to be activated on other carriers' networks. Sprint will provide any applicable MSL code, upon request, provided you have met the unlocking requirements provided below.

Not all Sprint devices have an MSL code or a locking function that can be unlocked by Sprint (e.g., Apple devices cannot be unlocked to accept another domestic carrier's SIM card). On certain devices, not all functionality may be unlocked (e.g., for some smartphone devices, Sprint may be able to unlock the CDMA/voice functionality of the device but unable to unlock the GSM/UMTS/LTE portion of the device). Even if unlocked, Sprint devices will not necessarily work on another carrier's network.

http://www.sprint.com/legal/unlocking_policy.html

22. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

Verizon is mandated to keep theirs unlocked because when they bought the 700mhz spectrum that they use for their LTE, their terms were that all LTE devices had to be completely unlocked.

AT&T doesn't have to abide by any rules like that.

23. Slicktype macrumors 6502

Slicktype

Not sure if this has been asked. I have an iPhone 5s and I am currently on the mobile share value plan with AT&T and my contract is up on September of 2015.
    If I buy an iphone 6 on launch day and replace the 6 with my 5s (same line), would AT&T unlock my 5s since the 6 is now taking its place on my contract ?
    Thanks

24. m3nphls macrumors member

Too lazy to link it, google it or you can find it in this forum. Sprint iphones can only be unlocked BY SPRINT after 3 months of usage and in a non ASL account, even after unlocked you can only use it overseas and not with another US carrier.

25. manhattanmania macrumors regular

no. i recently asked this same question and went through the same thing. had a space gray iPhone 5S, switched to gold that i bought full price. would not unlock space gray even after i activated the gold. it's because the contract is tied to the line of service/IMEI not the phone itself. after the two years are up you'll be able to unlock the phone.