Cpu Noise In Macbook Alu Reports

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brikro, Jan 23, 2009.

1. brikro macrumors member

HELLO, i have a macbook alu 2.4 and in left up zone near the key "esc", "q" in this zona if you approach your ear near the zone listen a low "buzzing" high pitch cpu whine, i went to applestore and in a few weeks will change my logic
    . but i read in a lot of forums a people with some problem
    if you have this problem report it with your model of macbook alu (2.0 o 2.4)
    thanks Brian

2. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

I also have this "problem". But, as i understand it, it's not a problem. That is your CPU, and it's normal.

3. brikro thread starter macrumors member

why is not a problem? if that noise isnt normal.
    i have other macbook (black) and dont do any noise.

4. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

5. brikro thread starter macrumors member

you dont have reason because, i have a black macbook early 2008 with Penryn and dont have this problem.

6. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

OK. i am not saying that it happens in all penryn processors. i said it was common. good luck.

7. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

I think because of the aluminum structure all the internal noises are going to be amplified... thus the CPU, fans, HDD (especially since it's not very well insulated) will be louder. From a normal distance I can only hear my HDD hum, but it i put my ear tot he keys, I can hear the CPU and towards the center the fans (very faint).
    I think it's normal..

8. yousoldtheworld macrumors member

yousoldtheworld

Yeah, mine makes a faint hum/buzz there...but, I don't see how that's a problem. I don't expect a computer to run perfectly silently, and I don't know why you'd sit with your ear up to it there unless you were experiencing problems, anyway.

9. brikro thread starter macrumors member

because i work in complete silence and i listen all noises and for me is very annoying

10. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Come on Apple fanbots and wannabe smartasses.

If you know problem is there it's annoying. I have this buzzing noise from MacBook air. It's from q and left side of keyboard. It's not normal. It can be heard from quiet riom

11. brikro thread starter macrumors member

yes , and what do you do ?
    i went to applestore and they will change my logic in a few weeks..
    but you dont do any think?

12. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

The original MBP 2.0 did have a whining CPU problem and many users returned their machine for a complete refund, however on later models such as the 2.2/2.4, this doesn't happen. Also, I very much doubt it's CPU whine, cause the CPU ain't located there... it's actual location is under key's "4" & "5".

On the MBP 15 (Aluminium) the upper left hand side is where the charge circuit is, it's also the hottest area of the system thus the cooling fan is constantly "on". Chances are the sound your hearing isn't CPU whine but the noise given off by the fan?? It's possible, what your hearing isn't whine but the built-in speakers picking up noise from the electrical circuit??

13. brikro thread starter macrumors member

definitively no.. because when i open Photobooth the noise disappear , or when i use the "quietmbp" , dissapear.
    it is whine noise !, the zone is approximate...

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

if you believe to be so, just take it to Apple. I'm sure they'll sort it out if it's still under warranty.

15. brikro thread starter macrumors member

yes i do it and apple will change my logic in a few weeks , but a lot of people have this "problem" and dont do any think, and say that is common when isnt it , i think.
    well thanks for all

16. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I had it one day in November. I restarted and it hasn't come back since. Does it change pitch if you change the brightness?

17. netddos macrumors regular

You people are too OCD with your gadgets....

I'm not sure how loud the noise is but I also have this "issue." However, I can barely hear this buzzing if I put my ear up close to the top left hand corner. The problem is exacerbated when the unit has to charge battery.

This doesn't bother me at all as I have better things to do than to worry about buzzing noise that is common in electronics.

The noise is most likely NOT coming from your CPU, but rather your power supply. Poor transformer in power supply commonly exhibits buzzing noise.

Seriously, just "enjoy" the fantastic laptop that you have in your possession.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Sorry, in your original thread you don't say how old the machine is. If it's a brand new machine... like less than 14days old, you can take it right back in and request an exchange cause you're not happy...

19. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

What I did was I took my machine to apple store and explained the problem.
    They examined it in the backroom came back 2 minutes later, saying it us definitely problem with fan module. Well, changed fan and it's gone. Good luck with yours.

20. SummerBoy macrumors regular

SummerBoy

Older people
    Watch your language son

21. brikro thread starter macrumors member

i enjoy my laptop ofcourse but i paid a lot of money for it and i demand quality
    and the problem is the cpu !!!
    becouse the all symptoms indicate that
    - open photobooth and the noise dissapear
    - open the quietmbp and the noise dissapear
    - when the mac stay in idle the noise apear
    i dont have problem with brighness exept in bootcamp! , that is other problem
    (in bootcamp when i put the brigness in 50% the mac do a noisee, but i read in other threaths that this is normal, or not?)
    welll thanks.

please if someone DONT HAVE this problem please report and say 2.0 or 2.4

22. brikro thread starter macrumors member

23. brop52 macrumors 68000

brop52

I did only for one day. It hasn't returned.

24. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

If you believe you hear "CPU noise", the only possible causes are:

You are overmedicated.
    You are undermedicated.
    You are not human.

CPU's do NOT make any noise, regardless of what any friend or the guy at Best Buy told you. What you hear is a fan, a power supply related low-frequency hum, or a resonant vibration transmitted from the HDD to the case.

25. brikro thread starter macrumors member

JNB, if you are an ignorant, dont post.
    some cpus do a noise. electricnoise enter in youtube and put "cpu whine" .