Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Hey everyone!

I would like to upgrade the CPU in my Mac Pro 4,1 - xeon w3520 to x5690.

I now read that a delidding might be necessary. Mainly about be dual CPU models, but also about the single CPU models, such as mine.

Now I wanted to ask if it really is necessary or recommended (in this case, would you recommend getting an already delidded one or should I do it myself?), or if it’s not needed.

oliverc

macrumors newbie
Nov 11, 2016
Hey everyone!

I would like to upgrade the CPU in my Mac Pro 4,1 - xeon w3520 to x5690.

I now read that a delidding might be necessary. Mainly about be dual CPU models, but also about the single CPU models, such as mine.

Now I wanted to ask if it really is necessary or recommended (in this case, would you recommend getting an already delidded one or should I do it myself?), or if it’s not needed.
minifridge is right. Get a CPU with a lid. Skip the x5690. A x5675 is cheap, draws less power and marginally slower than a x5690.

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Thank you for your replies!

From the offers I’ve seen (at least where I’m from) the prices aren’t really that different.

May I ask, why exactly can CPUs for the single cpu model keep the lid, but those of the dual cpu models need to be removed?

adam9c1

macrumors 68000
May 2, 2012
Chicagoland
The 2009 4,1 dual CPU is the only one that uses dellidded CPUs.

2009 single CPU and all 2010 and all 2012 use regular CPUs.

In this forum there is a thread about supported processors. It outlines their speed, turbo speed, and watts used.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
Thank you for your replies!

From the offers I’ve seen (at least where I’m from) the prices aren’t really that different.

May I ask, why exactly can CPUs for the single cpu model keep the lid, but those of the dual cpu models need to be removed?
Why? Because Apple likes to Think Different.

minifridge1138

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2010
It's only my speculation that the lidless CPUs ran slightly cooler.
That’s the best guess anyone has. Even if true (and I think it is) after 1 year Apple decided it didn’t really make a difference and switched to “normal” processors.

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016
That’s the best guess anyone has. Even if true (and I think it is) after 1 year Apple decided it didn’t really make a difference and switched to “normal” processors.
Nehalem processors are much hotter than Westmere, there is a real improvement with temperatures and frequency with the process change from 45nm to 32nm. That's why Apple went back to lidded, no need to use and support cumbersome to install lid-less Xeons anymore. All mid-2010 (E5620/X5650/X5670) and mid-2012 (E5645/X5650/X5675) dual Xeons are Westmere from factory.

Single CPU mid-2010/mid-2012 Mac Pros are a mess and has from factory, Nehalem (W3530/W3565) and Westmere (W3680) Xeons.

Last edited:
Reactions: minifridge1138

sertrincia

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2021
Hi @ccrivia13. May i ask you how your upgrade went?

I have a 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1. I upgraded my single W3250 with a X5690 off of ebay. The issue that came up is this: on powering on it chimes, shows the apple logo loading screen, goes up about halfway the progress bar and then restarts. I already reseated CPU and RAM (tried both a set of 24 GB @1333 and the original 6 GB 1066 ecc), reset the NVRAM (multiple times), tried with both the original Radeon HD4870 and my Radeon rx560, tried recovery mode and booting from a Catalina installer, then downgraded to Mojave and tried with that installer; i also tried removing the hdd, ssd, and expansion cards, leaving in only the absolute necessary fot it to boot at least in recovery mode. It shouldn't be a compatibility problem, judging from what i read in the forum. The machine worked perfectly before. It could really be a faulty processor at this point, but it seems weird to me judging by the symptoms.

ccrivia13

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Hi @ccrivia13. May i ask you how your upgrade went?

I have a 2009 Mac Pro flashed to 5,1. I upgraded my single W3250 with a X5690 off of ebay. The issue that came up is this: on powering on it chimes, shows the apple logo loading screen, goes up about halfway the progress bar and then restarts. I already reseated CPU and RAM (tried both a set of 24 GB @1333 and the original 6 GB 1066 ecc), reset the NVRAM (multiple times), tried with both the original Radeon HD4870 and my Radeon rx560, tried recovery mode and booting from a Catalina installer, then downgraded to Mojave and tried with that installer; i also tried removing the hdd, ssd, and expansion cards, leaving in only the absolute necessary fot it to boot at least in recovery mode. It shouldn't be a compatibility problem, judging from what i read in the forum. The machine worked perfectly before. It could really be a faulty processor at this point, but it seems weird to me judging by the symptoms.

Sadly I haven't made the CPU upgrade yet, so I can't give you any information yet on how it went. And since I'm completely new to this form of upgrade I sadly can't give any useful assistance. I hope you can resolve the issue!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.