Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Danekero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
One of the reasons to buy a mac pro is upgradability, and that's very important to me. I know that the CPU can be upgraded, but to what extent? For example, if I buy the base quad core and in 2-3 years I want to upgrade to a dual-cpu system, would I be able to or would I have to replace my system?

Sorry if this question seems kinda trivial, haha. CPUs aren't my strong point as far as hardware goes.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
You will only be able to upgrade to a processor that uses the same type of socket, and if you buy a single CPU system now, you will be limited to single CPU. There are a couple other restrictions with the CPU specs as well

Danekero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
The single CPU models only have 1 CPU socket. So to upgrade to dual CPU, you need to replace the CPU/RAM daughterboard.

I figured it would be something like that. But would the new board be relatively easily available and compatible with the machine?

Also, with a few extra purchases, would my single-CPU MP be able to make the same upgrades as the dual CPU models?

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
if you buy the 2.8 quad you can go to the 3.33 hex that is it. you can buy a 3.33 hex from a real seller on ebay for about 879 you can sell your quad 2.8 for about 240.

putting in a cpu same socket to same socket is not hard. ( hardest part is pulling the cpu) also knowing you have about 1300 in parts that can break if not careful

changing the socket in a quad from single to dual is costly and far more difficult. it is cost effective to go from a quad 2.8 to a hex. you are wasting money to go from a single quad 2.8 to a dual core. there are serial number issues and more problems. you would be better off selling the pro and getting a new one. rahter then go from a single to a dual. not to mention that the dual eights do not compete with the hex core on a lot of levels in terms of speed.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I figured it would be something like that. But would the new board be relatively easily available and compatible with the machine?

Also, with a few extra purchases, would my single-CPU MP be able to make the same upgrades as the dual CPU models?

At the expense for an upgrade like that, you may as well buy a new computer. In 2-3 years, you'll be stuck trying to find and buy outdated processors, and they likely won't be a whole lot cheaper than they started. It wouldn't be a particularly easy upgrade either, I don't think.

Vylen

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2010
Sydney, Australia

Compatibility isn't an issue since you just need to get the right board, i.e. "2010 Mac Pro dual processor daughter board". As for easily available... they're not so available easily right now as far as I can tell, but who knows in a year or two.

OWC does however have this Turn Key program. Mail in your current CPU/RAM daughterboard along with (a lot of) cash, and they'll send you back the daughterboard and CPU you wanted to swap.

As for your additional purchases - yes. The same will work on both SP and DP Mac Pros.

rrdiaz30

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2010
Austin TX
Here are the part numbers and prices for the upgrade. I attached some Geekbench scores for performance comparison only between the different processors.

Processor Board, Dual 661-5708 $599.00
Processor Heatsink, Dual, A 076-1367 $239.00
Processor Heatsink, Dual, B 076-1368 $239.00

...now the price for the processors, you will need two :-0

Processor, Dual 2.40GHz 661-5712 $1099.00 ea. Geekbench score 14832
Processor, Dual 2.66GHz 661-5713 $1299.00 ea. Geekbench score 23771
Processor, Dual 2.93GHz 661-5714 $1899.00 ea. Geekbench score 25598

--------------------------------------------------------

I purchased a base model knowing that I would upgrade to a Hexacore when the processor prices drop...perhaps 2012.

Processor, Single 3.33GHz 661-5711 $1499.00 Geekbench score 16137

Prices are from here. Parts diagram is attached.

Rick

Attachments

• Mac Pro Mid 2010 Parts Diagram.jpg
    Mac Pro Mid 2010 Parts Diagram.jpg
    548.3 KB · Views: 145
Last edited:

Danekero

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Thanks for all that info, Rick. Greatly appreciated.:)

COWC does however have this Turn Key program. Mail in your current CPU/RAM daughterboard along with (a lot of) cash, and they'll send you back the daughterboard and CPU you wanted to swap.

Thanks for that link. If I do decide to do an upgrade like this it's possible I'd use a service like that.

At the expense for an upgrade like that, you may as well buy a new computer. In 2-3 years, you'll be stuck trying to find and buy outdated processors, and they likely won't be a whole lot cheaper than they started. It wouldn't be a particularly easy upgrade either, I don't think.

Yeah, the expenses and extra work required with an upgrade like that might not be worth the upgrade, especially when better hardware would be available. I'm mostly trying to understand the advantages and disadvantages of each system as much as possible before making a purchase.

putting in a cpu same socket to same socket is not hard. ( hardest part is pulling the cpu) also knowing you have about 1300 in parts that can break if not careful

Yeah. I'm arrogant enough to attempt a risky upgrade like that (and possibly destroy over a thousand dollars) and that's why if I did take this route I'd go for something like that Turn Key program Vylen mentioned.

changing the socket in a quad from single to dual is costly and far more difficult. it is cost effective to go from a quad 2.8 to a hex. you are wasting money to go from a single quad 2.8 to a dual core. there are serial number issues and more problems. you would be better off selling the pro and getting a new one. rahter then go from a single to a dual. not to mention that the dual eights do not compete with the hex core on a lot of levels in terms of speed.

Yeah, I think at this point I'd probably not make that upgrade, haha. It doesn't seem worth it.

Thanks a lot everybody for all your help, I'll bookmark all that info and keep it in mind when deciding which system to go with and what upgrades I'll consider (though I doubt I'd go with a dual-CPU system to start, the eight core's a bad value and the 12 core's really expensive).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.