Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Just got an email from CPW (I'm on all the lists :p).

"Please note, iPhone 3G is initially available on pay monthly contract only."

cpw.png

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home

(dammit.. how do people embed emails on here?)

Go to advanced options and add a file -
It might be easier just to get the email up, take a screen shot, and upload the image that way.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I got the email as well, the line reads:

Please note, iPhone 3G is initially available on pay monthly contract only.

TomB88

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007

No 3G iPhone for me, at least for now. I never use contracts, so this is a deal-breaker for me. Shame...

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I suppose this email is now just going to add to the confusion and make some people very unhappy. I'd be unhappy too, glad I'm going on contract :p, but I do feel sorry for the PAYG crowd, if this turns out to be true.

moabon.rob

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2007
Cardiff, UK
No 3G iPhone for me, at least for now. I never use contracts, so this is a deal-breaker for me. Shame...

Same here :(... Here's hoping (completely wildly) that o2 do offer PAYG on launch, but only at o2 stores (or online)... Completely unrealistic, but they could get £300 from me on the day...

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
In a way it's less confusion.. at least we know now. Funny how CPW tell us but O2 still don't know...

I can swallow the £30/mo but I don't like the idea.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Great, just the best news of the day. (sarcasm) I knew O2 would do this. They are absolute w*****ers! Im also ready to fork out for an iphone but it looks like O2 couldnt organise a row of chairs and actually make some money! It could be months till we see it on PAYG and the worst thing is the "leaked" prices. If they were done on purpose to get some excitement going but they knew all along they werent going to delay it, its just sick!

I cant believe O2 are throwing away this chance, forcing people to go the route of contract and making it impossible to anyone that cant upgrade yet to get hold of the new phone. Missed opportunity O2, well done.

Im getting a blackberry...or a 1st gen off ebay. S*d O2!:mad::mad:

sananda

macrumors 68030
May 24, 2007
this isn't looking good. so much for the o2 press office saying pay and go would be available on launch day.

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

captain kaos said:
Great, just the best news of the day. (sarcasm) I knew O2 would do this. They are absolute w*****ers! Im also ready to fork out for an iphone but it looks like O2 couldnt organise a row of chairs and actually make some money! It could be months till we see it on PAYG and the worst thing is the "leaked" prices. If they were done on purpose to get some excitement going but they knew all along they werent going to delay it, its just sick!

I cant believe O2 are throwing away this chance, forcing people to go the route of contract and making it impossible to anyone that cant upgrade yet to get hold of the new phone. Missed opportunity O2, well done.

Im getting a blackberry...or a 1st gen off ebay. S*d O2!:mad::mad:

I replaced my iPhone last Saturday. Last one's battery was no good.
when I get my new one next week my first gen will be up for sale.

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
If I was anyone wanting to buy the iPhone on PAYG I would still wait it out for more information either tomorrow or on Monday. Although CPW may have said that they wont have the iPhone on PAYG this doesn't necessarily mean O2 stores wont. I'm pretty sure that the Apple Store will only sell the PAYG version, and the store in Birmingham Bullring does have a lot of signs and posters up advertising the iPhone3G and the launch date of July 11.

There is hope yet!

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
Someone on the O2 forums just said they had a conversation at the apple store where they said they won't be stocking the iphone at all, in any form.

Personally I'm sceptical in the extreme... apple not selling their own product?

Mostly I think that conversation proves that even apple haven't got an f..ing clue what O2 are up to.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

I replaced my iPhone last Saturday. Last one's battery was no good.
when I get my new one next week my first gen will be up for sale.

Lovely! I may be up for that! Is it a 16giga?:D

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
Someone on the O2 forums just said they had a conversation at the apple store where they said they won't be stocking the iphone at all, in any form.

Personally I'm sceptical in the extreme... apple not selling their own product?

Mostly I think that conversation proves that even apple haven't got an f..ing clue what O2 are up to.

Completely agree. Apple WILL sell their own product, otherwise the advertising in store is pointless. What will they tell customers who turn up to the store on launch day, "Yeah we was advertising it, but that didn't mean we were going to be selling it" :confused:?! Can't see that happening to be honest :)

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Completely agree. Apple WILL sell their own product, otherwise the advertising in store is pointless. What will they tell customers who turn up to the store on launch day, "Yeah we was advertising it, but that didn't mean we were going to be selling it" :confused:?! Can't see that happening to be honest :)

This is my only hope, but last weekend i spoke to a guy in the brighton Apple reseller (in the laines) and he had no idea whatsoever. He did say if resellers were selling the iphone it'd be the PAYG option and would also be selling it....but he didnt know about the "leaked" prices and was asking me the cost!

It would be so simple for them to sell the PAYG, it has an O2 sim already in, off you go! But i find it strange that a week to go Apples web site still says the only places to purchase an iphone is O2 and CPWH!

I hope they do, as at this moment i'd love not give O2 any money!:D

modelbehaviour

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2007
UK
O2 customer service told me they will be selling the PAYG on the 11th, I posted the email in the 'official' PAYG price thread.

TomB88

macrumors member
Sep 18, 2007
O2 customer service told me they will be selling the PAYG on the 11th, I posted the email in the 'official' PAYG price thread.

Thanks for that. The email you posted seems pretty reliable - he says the price of the handset and PAYG tariff options haven't been announced, but that it definitely will be available on 11th in O2 stores. Perhaps, in order to enhance contract sales, O2 are delaying PAYG price announcements until the last minute and not selling them at all in CPWH stores. It seems vaguely plausible... annoying nevertheless.

getti

macrumors member
May 12, 2006
Sorry O2 but you have totally c**ked up the whole launch for a lot of people with the information or lack of it.

• Firstly you leak pricing only to pull down after and blame a "technical problem"
  • Then you make people wait to see pricing when you KNOW we want to know now
  • Then you have some staff saying its on PAYG from day 1 and others saying no it's not...... i expect some of them dont even know what an iPhone 3G is

We are now reaching 1 week before launch and if you expect people to just get together between £300 and £400 for a phone in that short space of time i am sorry you are going to loose a lot of people and interest. Now i know its because they want to make as many people take on contract as possible but its not fair to tease everyone like this with PAYG pricing.

Tell you what O2..... give me a PAYG iphone 3G now and il keep you updated on my website when you can have your money??.. il post up a teaser telling you i will be paying you £369 on a set say and then take it down minutes later and say i will let you know 'soon'.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
ARGH! Im thinking i may shut down the mac for a week and come back when its safe! All this is driving me round the bend!:rolleyes:

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Sorry O2 but you have totally c**ked up the whole launch for a lot of people with the information or lack of it.

• Firstly you leak pricing only to pull down after and blame a "technical problem"
  • Then you make people wait to see pricing when you KNOW we want to know now
  • Then you have some staff saying its on PAYG from day 1 and others saying no it's not...... i expect some of them dont even know what an iPhone 3G is

We are now reaching 1 week before launch and if you expect people to just get together between £300 and £400 for a phone in that short space of time i am sorry you are going to loose a lot of people and interest. Now i know its because they want to make as many people take on contract as possible but its not fair to tease everyone like this with PAYG pricing.

Tell you what O2..... give me a PAYG iphone 3G now and il keep you updated on my website when you can have your money??.. il post up a teaser telling you i will be paying you £369 on a set say and then take it down minutes later and say i will let you know 'soon'.

Ha ha!

Exactly! i couldnt agree more. What an almighty c**k up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.