Crack that Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bbapps, Apr 13, 2013.

1. bbapps macrumors regular

2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

When I bought my first unibody (Early 2009 17"), I was very impressed with the new design (having owned two 17" aluminum and two titanium models). My first impression was that it felt like a solid piece of aluminum when closed. Glad they've stuck with it - continuing and refining the unibody design with the Retina models.

That poor 13" sure took a beating and kept on "ticking" - at least until the corner of a 1400 pound boulder sat on it. (Actually made worse, because the MBP was suspended between two pieces of wood - there wasn't any support from the bottom. I think the display would have been toast in either case, though.)

Thanks for the link!

3. Satori macrumors 6502a

Satori

That rMBP is now listed on ebay as having "acceptable signs of wear and tear".
    :D

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Meh, just an attempt for clicks by cnet. Of course the soft aluminum construction of the MBP is not going to stand up to any torture tests.

5. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Did you see the same video I saw? The reporter was quite impressed.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

I think he means to criticize CNET's typical style over substance form of tech journalism. In a bid for as many clicks as possible their articles and videos aim for shock and entertainment value instead of providing any real, useful information.

Still enjoyed the video though. :p

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

That's not my point, its that - lets destroy a laptop just for giggles and drive some clicks our way. There's really no purpose for these types of videos

----------

I mean seriously a front end loader - how is this serious journalism - its not.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Yes, I'll agree with that.

But still, they did put the poor rMBP through the mill (almost literally) and it did surprisingly well.

Also, dents, though unattractive, do absorb energy and might have helped keep the rMBP "ticking" through the torture test.