Cracked glossy glass on my Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Orthank, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Orthank macrumors newbie

Damn, I barely fell with my laptop on stairs and now there is that crack on the screen's glass. Damn. What do you think how much will it cost to repair?
    I hope there is an opportunity to just change the glass, not the whole screen...
    Any ideas, guys?
    [​IMG]

2. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

As far as I know you have to change the hole screen.

You should take it to apple and tell them it only fell a little bit and this should not have happened.

Hopefully you get a nice guy who will take care of it for you.

3. Orthank thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, because I really fell so easily. It was just a minor hit. Normally nothing would have happened. Do you think there are any chances to get it fixed on warranty?

4. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

Big smile and a little begging may help. You get more with sugar than spice. Take that as a life thought as well

5. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Does it have any other damage on it besides the cracked screen that might make someone think it fell hard?

If not they probably will fix it.

6. Orthank thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, to my knowledge - nothing more. It's all just happened today. So far everything is working properly, no other bumps or damages.

7. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

maybe if you said that you closed the screen and heard a snap. but probably not.

8. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

No chance; I don't know why you would even think that there would be a possibility at all. If you take it to Apple they will probably replace the entire screen assembly at significant cost to you. Check out ifixit or another site for a replacement screen.

9. Beaverfish macrumors regular

I smashed the glass on mine too.......

Hi there,

First off, I know exactly how you feel. I smashed the glass on my MBP just before christmas, the Mac was less than a month old. :mad:

Ok first off the bad news. apple cant just replace the glass. they will only replace the whole top half (Clamshell) thats the entire screen including the metal case etc. this cost me something like £340.00 to have it repaired by apple in the UK.

A few points to note however. are you experienacing any problems with you wifi. I did and this was because the WIFi card on the Alu MBP is right underneath the black plastic on the screen where it sez MacBook Pro.

In my case Apple damaged my LogicBoard while they were replacing my screen. It took them nearly two weeks to get a new clamshell and logic board ordered in, so I complained and actually ended up with a brand new unit, although i still had to pay the £340 repair charge.

Hope this Helps :eek:

10. dlewis23 macrumors 6502a

Was thinking about this, and you have a few options.

1. Pay to get it fixed.

2. Say something broke, have apple send you a box to get it fixed and when it arrives and they see that the glass is broken 1. They either just replace it as damaged in shipping, or 2. they call you tell you its broken and say that must have happened in shipping, they fix it.

3. You break the glass even more and remove it piece by piece.

11. Kronie macrumors 6502a

Kronie

That's a good one, I'll have to remember that.

12. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

13. magamo macrumors 6502

Evil!

14. yaroldb macrumors 6502

I ran into this some time ago on Ebay and always keep it in the back of my mind just incase something like this happens to me. I've never used it or know of someone who has but it maybe worth looking into.

Ebay link here.

15. ubestbsteppin macrumors regular

Wouldn't say no chance. I've seen it happen multiple times at my local Apple store.

16. Psychmike macrumors regular

Genius!! I'm sure that Apple would never, ever anticipate such an approach! I'm sure that their suspicion would not be aroused when they don't find the fictitious problem. I'm sure they don't have structural engineers who anticipate common failure points and their likely causes. More likely, if you tried that approach, Apple would say that your laptop arrived that way and refer you to the shipping company who deals with fraud on a daily basis. People aren't stupid and they'll likely be less sympathetic to you if they suspect that you're trying to pull one over on them.

Unbelievable.

OP:

It's been common knowledge for months that Apple did not adopt the most customer-friendly approach in designing their unibody displays and that repairs would be very costly. If you buy their product and damage it through your own use, no one is required to fix it. Be honest and you'll get more sympathy. If someone wants to help you, they'll likely find some way to do so.

You do have my sympathy - I threw my Thinkpad around for years with nary a scratch but I am much more careful with my Macbook after hearing of cases being deformed with relatively little pressure.

17. Guy Mancuso macrumors 6502a

I would go to the apple store and at least see what they are offering and if it is going to be a ton of money say thanks and than go to tech restore and have them replace it. You can also get Matte if you want also

18. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

Does your home contents insurance cover accidental damage?

19. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LOL You guys don't honestly think Apple doesn't know? I'm not saying it will/won't work but chances are it won't. If OP goes to Apple Store, they'll note it. If he doesn't, OP will call AppleCare run through "troubleshooting" for his non-existent problem say it won't work and then setup a repair. AppleCare will ask if there are any other damages, OP will obviously say "no" and box will be sent out. Depot will finally get it, look at case notes and see what the problem is, then they're going to see the severely cracked screen and will link the screen damage to the "problem" the OP sent his computer for. If it's something small, sure you have a better chance but something that big, don't get too excited. I've dealt with customers who sent their computers in only to have it put on hold because minor damage was found that was not covered under AppleCare - Apple refused to fix it unless the customer paid for it, repair was put on hold.

You can obviously try, but something like that, isn't going to get repaired by sending it in for a fake repair.

20. The General macrumors 601

How did yours break but mine didn't? Mine fell 5 feet onto concrete!

21. Orthank thread starter macrumors newbie

Actually, that part out there on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/for-MacBook-Pro-15-inch-Screen-Glass-Lens-Repair-Part_W0QQitemZ110380386275QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110380386275&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) seems to be a good solution. I mean even if it doesn't work - I will only spend 20 dollars anyway. And then anyway I will go up to Apple Store tomorrow to see what they are going to say about it. Damn, adventure just begun... From one single miss-step :) Be carefull with your Macbook, guys.
    Replying to the question how it happened when someone's MacBook fell from greater height and nothing happened, but mine broke, I can say that the hit went through metal case on the back of the screen, so directly to it. I didn't think it was that vulnerable... Well, now I know :)

22. comptr macrumors 65816

23. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

jtgotsjets

Falling hard and falling soft make no difference when it comes to warranty. This kind of damage is not covered unless the OP has some kind of way to prove that the glass itself was faulty.

This is not to say that Apple doesn't sometimes make iffy warranty repairs—once fell off my bike right onto my iPod, sent it in saying it was making weird noises (it was) and they replaced it through the mail; never said a word about the huge dent in the back.
    This though... I just can't see them repairing this. If you can be without your computer for a few days, it might be worth it to just send it in and see what happens, but I wouldn't expect much.

24. brosmooth macrumors member

brosmooth

yea, send it in, it woudnt hurt to try and see if they repair it, but it is unlikely