Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dlewis23

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Genius!! I'm sure that Apple would never, ever anticipate such an approach! I'm sure that their suspicion would not be aroused when they don't find the fictitious problem. I'm sure they don't have structural engineers who anticipate common failure points and their likely causes. More likely, if you tried that approach, Apple would say that your laptop arrived that way and refer you to the shipping company who deals with fraud on a daily basis. People aren't stupid and they'll likely be less sympathetic to you if they suspect that you're trying to pull one over on them.

Unbelievable.

You would probably be surprised to find out how stupid companies are when it comes to things like this.

It's all about how you present your self in the way you talk to them, because sometimes its cheaper for them to just fix it then to argue with you over it.

My self and friends have gotten companies to take care of things that are not covered by the warrantee, and replace entire electronics that are out of warrantee at no cost to us, so It can happen.

BTW. for what I said to work there are some other things you would have to do to make it work, So they would repair it. Doing only what I said probably wont work.

NPMac

macrumors newbie
Apr 21, 2009
GreenVille, NC
Best Buy wont be able to do anything different, If we (Geek Squad) had a customer with the same issue come in we would have to send it out to apple since the stores don't have the ability to get parts, only the service centers can. But I can tell you it wont be covered, even if it only fell a few inches over a few feet it does not matter to the manufacture, its accidental damage and is NOT covered. You might get lucky with the shipping idea but would have to do that yourself as a tech at Best Buy will have to note the physical condition when sending it.

sorry to hear your situation but I just don't think there is any way to get it repair at no cost to you.

war eagle

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2008
Actually, that part out there on Ebay (http://cgi.ebay.com/for-MacBook-Pro-15-inch-Screen-Glass-Lens-Repair-Part_W0QQitemZ110380386275QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item110380386275&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50) seems to be a good solution. I mean even if it doesn't work - I will only spend 20 dollars anyway. And then anyway I will go up to Apple Store tomorrow to see what they are going to say about it. Damn, adventure just begun... From one single miss-step :) Be carefull with your Macbook, guys.
Replying to the question how it happened when someone's MacBook fell from greater height and nothing happened, but mine broke, I can say that the hit went through metal case on the back of the screen, so directly to it. I didn't think it was that vulnerable... Well, now I know :)

Did you purchase this? How did it work?

Mark2000

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2007
The crack looks in the right place that if you said it cracked under the weight of your hand while closing it it would be a likely cause. Give that a try.

Orthank

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Aight

Ok, guys, finally story got a happy ending. I bought new glass for screen off e-bay for if I remember correctly 50 euros (delivery incl.). So today I put it on, which was not insanely hard work, but pretty tough though. I had to remove current broken glass with two special plastic thingies, and I did that without even tearing-down the whole laptop - computer was even switched on almost the whole way. Only at the end I turned it off to actually stick my new glass over with pre-glued double-sided tape. Aight! Sweet stuff, guys! Looks as pretty as the new one :)

pmcb

macrumors member
Nov 3, 2008
good work! i was worried about that happening but 50 euros, meh things could be worse, :p

getz76

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2009
Hell, AL
2. Say something broke, have apple send you a box to get it fixed and when it arrives and they see that the glass is broken 1. They either just replace it as damaged in shipping, or 2. they call you tell you its broken and say that must have happened in shipping, they fix it.

Things like this make me hope there really is a karma-effect.

Nintenmac

macrumors newbie
Feb 17, 2009
Beware the ship away option because if they receive it and declare it accidental and quote the repair price and you decline they can charge you about $100 (it is in the fine print).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.