Cracked.... in Antarctica.... NOOOO

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rogo43, Jan 10, 2013.

1. rogo43 macrumors member

So I'm in Antarctica with my 13" 2012 MBP working until March. My screen got cracked by a buddy down here and hes offered to pay for the repair. What are we looking at price wise? any ideas? it doesnt seem like the screen is cracked but merely the plastic? cover over it....
    Any ideas?

Thanks

2. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Are you talking about the glossy glass cover that sits over the display assembly itself?

If so, iFixit has them listed for about $100. I would expect an Apple store will probably charge you somewhere between $400-$600 for repair. (A simple upper case ... keyboard and surrounding bezel part is $300, and Apple charges around $800-$900 to replace that.)

It'll be cheaper to get the part and tools from iFixit.com, and then follow their guide to replace it yourself.

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Antartica? Well, getting a good deal for the display is the least of your worries... what is going to kill you is delivery charges. No joke.

*flies away*

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Meh, they can just have FedEX take a shortcut through the seven levels of the Candy Cane forest. They should have it in a day ... tops!

5. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

Yea the picture its self is fine, it looks like its the clear coat cover over it. I will check out ifixit. hes gonna pay for the parts and then when i get home, ill fix it.

6. Ubele macrumors 6502a

Didn't they recently open an Apple Store at McMurdo Station, in the mall next to Starbucks?

Seriously, you have my sympathies. :)

7. rogo43 thread starter macrumors member

i wish!!!!