Cracked iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Gingerbread53, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Gingerbread53 macrumors newbie

I cracked my iPad yesterday. The crack was only on the side so I left it. When I went back to it about 2 hours after to find a crack on the other side and up the middle. Iv heard it's free for the first time by a lot of people but I'm not sure if it's true. I don't know if I should pay in an apple store or to find an online site.

2. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Sometimes Apple replaces broken or damaged items for free but it is not a sure thing. You can take it in to an Apple store if you are near to one and hope for the best.

Good luck.

3. falcora macrumors 6502

some people have had luck getting their iPads replaced for free, especially if they have applecare. But officially, Apple does not cover cracked screens, and they'll charge you like $299 to swap it out.

4. Gingerbread53, Feb 16, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2012

Gingerbread53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks I will try at the weekend. It was a gift so it needs to be done

----------

I found a site that wil fix it for £109 and it changes the colour to green but I don't want to send it to some site I don't know.

5. number84 macrumors 6502

what i find is just be honest about it. i was very honest about my wife's iPhone having water damage, and they swapped it out for free. but YMMV.

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Like said, go to Apple first. You don't lose anything in trying them out. They are sometimes nice, sometimes not. I had 1 tiny dead pixel on my MBP screen and the genius replaced the entire lid of the laptop for free. On the other hand, I had home button problems on the iPhone and they never did anything but clean it out (which didn't even work in front of them). So try your luck.

7. Lindenhurst macrumors 6502a

My son dropped his face down on the cement garage floor. Obviously shattered I called Apple and they told me it was $269 for a "swap" for another unit. Couldn't see paying $269 when the iPad 3 is due out in weeks. Last year they gave me a new iPhone 4 when I jumped into the pool with mine in my pocket, so I wasn't at all unhappy with the fact that they didn't replace iPad for free. After all, the damage was not their fault. They have always been super great when I called Applecare for anything at all.
    I decided to use a place on Ebay that repairs them and resends them out for $89.00. I could have bought the screen for $69 and did it myself, but I figure the extra $20 was worth having someone else break it by accident.
    When i get it back I'll post my review of the service. It is in NY City, so it is close to me here in Pa.

8. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Send a hot girl with your iPad and let Apple replace your tablet for free.

9. Gingerbread53 thread starter macrumors newbie

I will
    Does anyone know if it matters if it came from best buy?

10. saberahul macrumors 68040

That's actually funny. When my wife had a small case problem with the MBP, no questions were asked. The guy replaced her MBP in 5 minutes.

OP: No it shouldn't matter. Depends on warranty though.

11. Gingerbread53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well iv only had it since end of August. And I have everything it came with.

12. BillG53 macrumors member

lol... That might work. You might also get a feel replacement if you can convince them your are some kind of multi-billionaire. Ever see the rich sand famous go into a restaurant? Yup... free dinner. Seems only the peasantry are expected to actually pay for stuff.

13. Gingerbread53 thread starter macrumors newbie

Well I was think of going for kid with not much money. Works for me most of the time.

14. Arnezie macrumors 65816

Arnezie

If you are a multi billionaire are you going to try to get a free replacement ? I think not :confused:

15. Agent-P macrumors 68030

Agent-P

My girlfriend got her shattered iPhone 4 replaced but I wasn't able to get my messed up home button iPod touch replaced -.-

16. Gingerbread53 thread starter macrumors newbie

My nan called apple and they said they would fix it for £100 :( just wondering if I still go in and see if it will cost.

17. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

The Geek can replace it for free. It just depends. Go in and respectfully tell them the truth with a humble attitude. Apple has been know to be very good to it's customers.

18. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Go to the store if you can. My sister was quoted £140 for her iPhone (completely smashed, front too) and was charged £20 when she went to the local Apple Store. She was honest, too, which often pays off.

19. AlPlPlLE macrumors regular

If its a hairline crack, they will swap it for free, but if there is areas of shatter then you will be paying for it. Price will depend on the size of iPad and if it is wifi or wifi +3G

20. Gingerbread53 thread starter macrumors newbie

The corners at the bottom are webbed with on line through the middle. So I'm guessing that's a pay job.
    The worst part is the 90min drive.

21. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

When you say geek, do you mean any employee or a manager?

22. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

It can be either. The Geek/employees are instructed by the manager as to what limits they may go to for keeping the customers happy. It can vary from Geek to Geek and store to store. A friend got his iPhone replaced free of charge after being refused the day before.

Being nice to the Geek gets the best results but does not guarantee results.

23. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

Right. Depending on who you get. Happens all the time, I always pray I get a nice sales associate who gives me extra 10% off hehe (not apple stores).

24. BillG53 macrumors member

Think again. I work with people who make 6 figures and they don't like to pay for anything. Example: I was making solid oak wine racks. Cost of the wood alone was $40. Add in tools and such and my time as overhead. I was asking a mere $80. So here come a doctor and he's interested. This same doctor years ago build his house and had stone imported from Europe. Nothing here was good enough. So he paid the bucks. But then with me, a little guy trying to earn a little "milk money" on the side, he was asking me to drop the price to $40. He wanted the thing for nothing. I would throw it in a fire first. Believe me, rich people are use to being given things for nothing by businesses wanting them to grace their doorsteps.

25. Gingerbread53 thread starter macrumors newbie