Cracked iPhone 2G screen what are my options?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Planky, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Planky macrumors regular

Hello,

My daughter has just dropped my original iPhone and has cracked the screen. The iPhone still works but the screen has a multitude of cracks running from the bottom left hand corner. :( :( :(

Do Apple still repair the original iPhone?
    Is there another screen repair company?

And I suppose the most important question - how much will it cost?

Thanks

P.S. I am in the UK.

2. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I had my 2G for over 1 year and it was in mint condition until I dropped my one time ever in my life. It had a slight crack. I sold it to my friend last week for 100 dollars because he wanted a iPOd Touch. Ill post a pick.

I would just sell it on ebay. They still go for a lot unlocked. You could 150-200 dollars if you lucky. Also depends on bad it is.

Apple charges 200 dollars.

3. bytethese macrumors 68030

bytethese

Apple charges about $200 I believe. Perhaps a good time to upgrade to the new 3GS? :)

4. Planky thread starter macrumors regular

I have spent ages trying to find out the answer to "will Apple repair my iPhone" on the Apple site and the only thing I found was to go to the local Apple Store and see a genius.

As the store is several hours away and involves a ferry journey (£20!) I tried to phone to ask the simple question.

I have just got off of the phone, I gave up after being on hold listening to awful music for over 40 minutes!

Why do they make it so difficult to answer such an easy question:-
    "can they repair my iphone and how much would it be?"
    :mad::mad::mad::mad:

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes they can. They will charge you $200. However, what Apple does (since its cheaper) is say they couldn't repair it and instead give you a new one or refurbished unit but more likely the later.

6. devonxo macrumors member

I don't think they can replace 2G screens, only 3G and 3GS (please correct me if I'm wrong). But screen replacements do cost $199. Someone else on the forums just got a brand new 3GS after their screen cracked for $200, so go to the Apple Store and give it a shot.

Might be better off just getting a new 3GS though for the price..

7. DenniZ macrumors 6502a

I've had multiple iPhones and iPhone 3G's replaced. I have those receipts of the exchange. I can't remember how much exzactly, but my iPhone 3G replacement was supposed to be £190 for 16GB or £140 for 8GB. So for the old first gen I'm guessing it should be around £90 or £50. Depending on the storage capacity.

8. Planky thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all prompt help guys.

Looks like a trip to the mainland to visit West Quays for me!

9. fygy5 macrumors newbie

I got a new screen and digitizer (the front glass w/touch film) off of amazon.com for like $70 bucks US. and just replaced it my self. I would recommend purchasing the tool kit for the 2g's to get the bottom plastic off first, the 3g's are a cake. There are several easy to follow guides all over the net for disassembly and assembly.

10. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

http://www.apple.com/uk/support/iphone/service/faq/

£146 should do you right. Phone the store you're going to and ask if out of warranty service applies to the screen (I'm pretty sure it does)

"For example, an iPhone that has failed due to damage or liquid damage is eligible for Out-of-Warranty service. However, certain damage is ineligible for OOW service, including catastrophic damage, such as the device separating into multiple pieces, and inoperability caused by unauthorized modifications."

11. deneenco macrumors member

deneenco

MissionRepair.com

http://www.missionrepair.com/default.asp

They did a screen replacement on my 3G phone.

They were SUPER fast (I paid for the 3 way over night shipping). The screen was replaced the same day they got it, and they got it shipped back out that very same day.

Got the phone back and couldn't tell it had been touched, other than non broken glass!

HIGHLY recommended.

Didn't see you were in the UK.. there has got to be a similar company over there? Much cheaper than the apple route.

12. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

ebay has a few repair stores for about 80 bucks, and based on the reviews, they seem pretty legit.