Cracked iPhone 4, Should I Wait For the White iPhone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Orange™, Feb 1, 2011.

1. Orange™ macrumors 6502

I cracked my iPhone 4 last month and the crack has been getting progressively worse week after week and so now I'm ready to replace it. I hear Woz said the white iPhone was on the way, any educated guesses? Perhaps it'll come out when the Verizon iPhone launches? :confused:

So I guess my question is this: Does Woz have a good track record and when he has said soon in the past, was it in fact, soon? I'm willing to wait a month tops. Thanks. :apple:

2. Shasta McNasty macrumors 6502a

Shasta McNasty

What's cracked, the back or front? If the back apple will replace it for $29

3. gta50419 macrumors 6502

no one knows,personally i think the white iphone 4 will be an AT&T only exclusive around the 5-10th right before the verizon phone launch.
    it's been spotted on att website.

4. benhollberg macrumors 68020

benhollberg

I heard Apple will replace the front also for $99, is that true?

5. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I think its $199 not $99

6. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

I cracked my front a few months ago, and I was also told (on the phone) that they would replace my screen for $99. This was not from a genius. When I went there, they replaced my iPhone on the spot, and the genius told me that they could not do front screen replacements because of the LCD digitizer. Not sure if this is in fact true, or if he was just being nice and giving me a replacement.

The $199 is for a complete phone replacement.

7. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Even if you wait for the white iPhone to come out, they aren't going to replace your black one with a white one. You'd have to buy it for full retail or do an early upgrade on your account.

8. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

I don't remember Woz giving enough frequent info to say track record. I could be wrong.. Over all the speculated products, updates that I recall I don't remember him being a source.

Question for you though. Front screen, back screen? Does it still fully function?

For me. If it was hairline or something where it's cracked not shattered. I'd probably just use it till it broke at this point.

9. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

Go to an Apple Store, explain the situation, explain that you had an accident and that you usually take care of all your stuff. Be as polite and honest as possible tell him/her if there's anything there can be done. Chances are, Apple will do it free of charge.

:)

10. Orange™ thread starter macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

You know, this is still the sexiest phone I've ever had. :D

It was a small crack at first, but as you can see the damage escalated. I don't want to throw $200 at this (the phone itself works fine), but since I'm going to sell it in two years I might as well buy the replacement now. Also, I fear glass falling into my ear. Spending $150 for the parts is a complete joke when I could get a new phone for only $50 more anyway. I wanted the white iPhone from the start but it wasn't available. Maybe it will, as others have suggested, come out this week to help combat the Verizon sales.

Sadly, this will prevent me from buying an iPad, oh well. Revision 3, here I come. :apple:

11. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Right, they charge you $199 and give you a new phone if the front glass is cracked, there's no way to repair it.

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I don't think we will see the white iPhone until this summer. It looks like your best bet OP is to pay the $200 to have that replaced.

13. Trentolol, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011

Trentolol macrumors member

Trentolol

www.missionrepair.com

This website is good and they guarantee their work. It is (I believe) $139 for the repair and it would save you money.

The only reason, (in my opinion) to buy a white iPhone(if one comes out), is that is might have a slightly higher resale value.

And no, I do not work for mission repair.

14. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

When you say $150 to repair is a joke when a new one is $50 more, you do realize that the $200 price was only because you signed a new contract.
    Unless At&T is giving you a really early upgrade, a brand new one will cost you $599. $150 repair don't seem too bad when you are looking at $600.

15. JASApplications macrumors 65816

16. Orange™ thread starter macrumors 6502

You are mistaken, I can walk into an Apple store right now, hand them my broken phone, and get a replacement (brand new iPhone) for $200 without extending my two year contract. To reiterate, replacing the phone has nothing to do with the contract.

I signed a two year contract in June, got my phone for $300 because I got the 32GB, I am going to trade that in for a 16GB for $200 in the next week. I've decided to see what happens and put off my purchase this week to see if the white iPhone 4 becomes available.

17. jfyrfytr25 macrumors 6502a

jfyrfytr25

You are mostly correct. First, you did not make it very clear that you meant trading your broken one in. Second, this process will yield you a refurbished unit (not brand new) I did this process a few months back and they are refurbs at this point.

Third, I think this situation is moot when it comes to the white model because if the white one comes out and you bring in your broken one, they will not give you a white one. I was told when I went in that they will only give you the exact model back that you turn in.

So, if you plan is to use this process to try to get the white, you may want to talk to your local apple store first. I am almost positive the answer will be no.

18. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

Check out my "cracked" screen lolol.....heading to apple next week to get a replacement.

Attached Files:

19. JASApplications macrumors 65816

phew! How did you do that!