Cracked iPhone 4... weird

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by skimblogger, Jul 5, 2010.

1. skimblogger macrumors newbie

So... i'm new to these forums, but macrumors has been a part of my everyday life for at least the past year.

I had a weird thing happen to me and wanted to see if anyone else experienced the same. I have an iPhone 4 that I pre-ordered and picked up on day 1. I bought the bumper when I got the phone. I've always babied my electronics and this one is no different. I also purchased Ghost Armor and put it on the front and back of my iPhone 4 (not the sides since I have the bumper).

I've never dropped the phone or set it down hard. I carry the phone in my pocket with no keys. Wallet and keys are in the other pocket. On Sunday, I was relaxing on the couch and I saw something on my iPhone that I didn't notice before. It looked like a crack, so I peeled the Ghost Armor back just a little bit (hence the fingerprints) and sure enough, there is a crack straight down the back of it.

WTF?! I'm taking to the Apple Store tomorrow to see if they will replace it. I think I'm going to get a full case instead of the bumper. I don't understand... Apple claims that this glass is supposed to be stronger than plastic and much stronger than before. I had a 2 year old iPhone 3G that never had any issues. I've attached a pic.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can definitely understand dropped phones cracking (not saying that it's excusable for Apple), but this is weird!

Attached Files:

2. Sleazy E macrumors 65816

Sleazy E

Something could have hit it when it was in your pocket? I dunno but with a crack like that it was definatly user error and it will not be covered by apple.

3. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

it looks like you may have leaned against something while it was in your pocket, causing it to crack.

4. skimblogger thread starter macrumors newbie

User error? Seriously? I wonder if I could argue that the case is defective in not protecting the iPhone entirely. It's not like I played football in it. I take it to and from the office in my pocket and I definitely don't remember anyone or anything bumping into me.

5. firewater macrumors regular

That really sucks...good luck @ the apple store hope u get it fix

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 68040

DeepIn2U

yikes & OUCH!

That doesn't look so sturdy, not like the video claims it to be, then again just what kind of impact was done for the screen? direct impact on a small object contact?

7. reservedegotist macrumors regular

Yeah that does look strange and it certainly looks different from damage resulting from a drop; I'm sure you can make a good case (heh) to get your phone or at least the back replaced. It looks as if there was pressure along the back glass ... though I can't really figure out how that would happen save from deliberate pressing (and that is quite the feat).

8. sectime macrumors 6502a

Maybe if you don't talk BS like a Bumper case is defective because BLA BLA BLA, the Apple rep might help you. That approach will piss them off, but they will be polite. An Otterbox might be better for you. Looks like you might have had the phone in your pocket with the screen pointed in and you might have leaned against a desk. Good Luck.

9. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

What does it look like without the bumper on?

10. skimblogger thread starter macrumors newbie

It looks the same. The crack goes up to the edge of the glass at the metal frame. I'll just keep my fingers crossed. Hopefully, they will be empathetic and give me a new one.

11. skimblogger thread starter macrumors newbie

An Otterbox does sound like a good idea. A little bulky, but built tough. Not sure when they are releasing one for the iPhone 4.

12. skimblogger thread starter macrumors newbie

Right? That's all I was trying to say. To the best of my actual knowledge, there was no impact to the phone. I definitely didn't put any stress on it since it's in my front pocket and not my back (and I don't wear tight pants). :p

13. EarthDawn macrumors 6502a

EarthDawn

That's what I was thinking...

Man that just sucks !

14. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

That seems really strange but unlike other have said, I don't think this happened by bumping into something while it was in your pocket.

I wear cargo shorts and when I put my iPod touch into the lower pockets, it can start swinging around when I walk fast and start weaving in and out of people in the hallway at school. My iPod has hit the metal poles in my school countless times, hard, usually making a loud noise and it never received a crack from this.

I guess if the phone got hit the "right" way it could potentially break in your pocket but I personally don't think that's how it happened.

15. mastershakess macrumors 6502

The design on these phones weren't thought out very well

16. InfinitiG macrumors 6502

this phone is a complete disaster

return it asap

17. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

This is the second thread today about the iPhone 4 glass cracking for an unknown reason. Perhaps there are "stress" issues with the iPhone 4 glass for at least a few units, much like you occasionally see cracks form on a windshield even though there was no direct impact to cause it?

I agree, return it to the Apple store ASAP, be polite, and hopefully they replace it with no hassle.

18. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I never even considered a bumper as adequate protection since it doesn't cover the back. If you dropped it on an uneven surface a bumper is not going to help.

I did understand that you never even dropped this phone however and that is cause for concern.

Is it possible you carried it in your back pocket and sat down on it? Did you place something on your lap with it in your front pocket?

19. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

This phone design is by far the most visually pleasing, but damn it's a horrible design durability wise. Epic fail, even.

That 1mm bit of plastic around the edge of the glass just isn't enough, and not only that, I think they tried SO HARD to make the phone thinner than the 3GS (which obviously they did) that there's no shock absorption left in the damn phone. There's no air, there's no padding, it's just packed SO tight that when the thing falls it's just instant stress spread throughout the glass.

I dropped my 3GS countless times, hard, even had it thrown across the room by someone, and it never cracked or broke. I'm afraid to drop this thing more than 2 feet.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I really like that case, but with its minimal amount of padding I wonder how well it can absorb and redirect impact forces away from the glass. Not to mention, how much does that aluminum surround block the antenna's signal.

21. NYRGirardi5 macrumors member

22. dub263 macrumors newbie

Did you have any luck getting the phone replaced by Apple? Mine has also cracked and wondering what the best way to activate Apple's warranty is? Any ideas?

23. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

I think Apple got sold a bill of goods on this Gorilla Glass.

And they did no testing of their own.

24. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

If they refuse to replace it and try to take $199 to replace it, just remove the two screws and push the back glass up. It'll pop right out and you can just buy another 'back'.

$33 from here.