Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

quincymc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
SO.

I got home from work today, and pulled my phone out of my dedicated iphone pocket from my jacket.

The screen is cracked.

Waaoo.

Spoke to Apple.

No Use.

I treat this phone like a member of my family and this happens.

So now I have an AT'T contract on a phone that I no longer wish to own.

What do I do? I'd like a blackberry or go back to good old nokia, but can I do that on my existing AT'T contract?

Please help me!

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
SO.

I got home from work today, and pulled my phone out of my dedicated iphone pocket from my jacket.

The screen is cracked.

Waaoo.

Spoke to Apple.

No Use.

So now I have an AT'T contract on a phone that I no longer wish to own.

What do I do? I'd like a blackberry or go back to good old nokia, but can I do that on my existing AT'T contract?

Please help me!

Yes, just put your iPhone's SIM card into your blackberry or Nokia, and remove the iPhone data plan from your bill.

(Or sell your iPhone for parts and then buy a new one) :) :) :)

Mindflux

macrumors 68000
Oct 20, 2007
Austin
Yes, just put your iPhone's SIM card into your blackberry or Nokia, and remove the iPhone data plan from your bill.

(Or sell your iPhone for parts and then buy a new one) :) :) :)

I've been told by a number of folks that the SIM in an iPhone wont work in anything but an iPhone... which defeats the whole purpose of SIMS.

polishmacuser

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2007
Los Angeles
wrong it works on my 5 year old nokia that has the black and green screen you know th really old ones but it gets bad reception with it for some reason when my moto slvr and iphone got perfect reception :D

tbobmccoy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2007
Austin, TX
I've been told by a number of folks that the SIM in an iPhone wont work in anything but an iPhone... which defeats the whole purpose of SIMS.

its the reverse that's true: only the iPhone's sim will work in the iPhone, but it can give it's sim to anyone. Kinda like having type O blood :cool:

snook911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2007
Yorba Linda, CA
SO.

The screen is cracked.

So let me get this straight you have no idea how the screen cracked? You put it in your pocket and it was fine and when you pulled of out it was cracked? How big a crack is it?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
Apple will charge you $249.00 +TAX for a replacement. They give you a damaged iPhone credit of $150.

quincymc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 16, 2007
Update

So I visited my local apple store (cambridgeside galleria, Cambridge, MA) And spoke to a Genius there.

Within 5 minutes I had a brand new iphone at no extra charge!

Yipee!

kvasir

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007

My iPhone sim works in my wife's Blackberry Curve just fine....

silbeej

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2007
I think this is an example of how the Apple brand is so good. It's not the corporate people that help us, its the kids that work at the Apple stores that really don't give a damn about making the company money, who will go around and hand out new stuff to people and write it up as a product defect. God bless those kids....come to think of it, I should work there.

Haha

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
That is awesome it was replaced. Did you tell them the truth or did you make something up?

kixxx

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
broken screen NOT replaced

my iphone also cracked, but it had three "hairline fractures," as the people at the apple store called them. they said that if it had been one, it would be a factory problem and they would replace it free of cost. however, because it had a few more, it must be "inflicted damage" and could not be fixed.

of course, mine was just sitting in my purse when this happened. very frustrating... i have met other people who had the same problem. seems like it IS a factory problem to me.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Maybe I'm babying my iphone too much. Sounds like if I use it as a floatation device after using it as a hammer to hang some pictures I can just return it to apple for a free replacement.. cool! :rolleyes:

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I don't understand how it "just broke" sitting in a jacket pocket. It's far more likely that said jacket got sat on, got banged against something, etc.

You are very lucky that Apple replaced it for free, everyone I know who broke their screen, regardless of the circumstances had to do the one time replacement deal through Apple for $200.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Same thing happened to me. It was two days old. I called Apple and the guy asked me to send picture of the damage to make sure there's no sign that i dropped it. I decided to go to the Genius Bar instead because I doubt my camera could focus in on the damage since it was so small. I'll post back tomorrow after the appointment.

WeatherGuy

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
ummm...just get a 3rd party insurance plan on your phone, wait a few days and say it was stolen or something..done.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
I love that people are so blase about committing in store fraud (unethical) and insurace fraud (illegal). Especially when with Apple telling the truth will usually get you sorted out.

JD914

macrumors 6502a
Sep 24, 2007
Dutchess County NY
SO.

The screen is cracked.

Pockets are the worst place to put a phone and this is proof positive. You obviously mistreated your phone by putting it in your pocket.

mrat93

macrumors 68020
Dec 30, 2006
Update on my last post: The genius thought that my phone had more of a deep scratch than a crack, so she called over a manager so he could make the call whether I should get a replacement or not. He decided in my favor and the genius replaced the screen on the spot!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.