cracked iphone screen

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by joma, Sep 22, 2008.

1. joma macrumors newbie

I dropped my iphone for the first time yesterday. Has anyone ever heard of apple actually replacing one for free or am i screwed and have to buy a new one?

2. wgr73 macrumors 6502a

wgr73

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I thought you could get a replacement for $200 plus tax, and return your damaged iPhone. Sorry to hear about your damaged iPhone. :confused:

4. Jeremy1026 macrumors 68020

Jeremy1026

Correct, you can have Apple fix it for $200. (Which is better then paying the unsubsidized price of a new one.)

5. belmardays macrumors newbie

i dropped mine ( i was not using a case that night) and the creen cracked bad ... is it covered under the apple care policy they sold me ...?

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

NO. You dropped it, it isn't defective. If you crash your new car, should the car mfgr. fix it under warranty?

7. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Probably not, but you can do as the OP should do and that's to pay $200 for a replacement and exchange your damaged iPhone.

AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage, such as drops, and water damage.:(

8. iphonecode macrumors member

9. yode macrumors 6502

i dropped mine and the front got all scratched up and all these dents were on the side of my phone (no case), anyway I found 3 dead pixels on my screen and 2 specks of dust so I got it replaced for free at the apple store. So when in doubt, look for defects.. and the 3G has a lot of defects you can look for! (For a cracked screen though, I don't know if they will accept dead pixels or dust as an excuse..)

10. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

yep, if you have any accidental damage, that's your only hope of getting a free replacement.

11. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

In other news, gravity sucks...downwards. Back to you Chet.

12. belmardays macrumors newbie

the glass is defective when a PHONE cannot survive a 36 inch or 1 meter drop .....the same way you car can be in a 10 mph crash into the store wall and nothing happens ....APPLE SHOULD BE ASHAMED TO CHARGE SO MUCH FOR A PRODUCT THAT IS SOO FRAGILE

13. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Can any glass survive that kind of fall.

14. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

So, you're a Physics major, eh?

Here are your choices:
    1. Sleek, thin, lightweight iPhone
    2. Built to handle a 1 meter drop onto a hard surface

Pick one.

15. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Ha. I take it you've never crashed into anything at 10 mph?

Take a look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6D5vBDAVfhU
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kr94weg3oy8

Watch the slow motion. In BOTH tests the trunk buckles and is crunched. It would probably need to be replaced to the tune of several hundred dollars. Far more than any iPhone.

EDIT: And in these videos the cars both roll. A store wall ain't moving, which means even MORE damage than you see in these videos.

16. Inukami macrumors 6502

Ebay is your best bet unless you want to pay $200. I've seen the glass screen sold to people on ebay for this exact problem for only $50. The only problem is that you have to put it together yourself... that means taking the iphone apart and adding the new screen, etc. Its a bit risky if you don't know what your doing.

17. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

He did it again!

18. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

tempered glass can actually

19. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

Not if it's only 1-2 mm thick.

20. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

21. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

So how would you design it? How thick would it be? How heavy? Would it have a cushioned skin all around? What is your minimum acceptable height from which it can fall onto a concrete floor without damage?

22. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

Well first off i would take the average sized human and since im not the census bureau i have no idea what that figure is but lets say 5 foot 8 inches, then take the average height from a pants pocket to the ground, all the measurements you demanded of me aside, i would adjust them, to simply deal with this height, but then again im not thinking like a profit based company who is more than happy to accept hundreds on repairs and replacements rather than making a device that simply will resist a common thing, such as a dropped phone

23. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

That's fine, but there's more to the current design than financial decisions. To make a phone rugged enough to always handle a drop from 1 meter while offering a large touch-sensitive screen means it's likely going to be far bulkier than most people are going to want to carry. I sure wouldn't buy an iPhone if it was nearly an inch thick with a heavy rubberized casing. I think Apple probably did the best that can be done with regard to durability while keeping it an appealing form factor most people wouldn't mind carrying.

Also, if you don't mind that kind of protection in trade for durability, there are many case options out there that would fill this niche perfectly. Some might even offer protection from dust and liquids for harsh environments.

24. deimos256 macrumors 6502a

i use a silicone sleeve that has already survived a drop on a tile floor from about 5 feet, im just trying to further voice some peoples concerns, we may not share them, but as consumers everyone is entitled to their own input whether you or I want to agree with it or not

25. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

So why would you call it a "piss poor design" when it gives you the flexibility to either go slim and light as-sold or in a rugged case as you've chosen to do?