cracked itouch..steve jobs email

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by sashakelly, Apr 27, 2008.

1. sashakelly macrumors newbie

I just bought an iPod touch a month ago and the screen cracked. I was told I could swap it for a new one for $199. I think it should be covered so I tried to email Steve Jobs and got a response back.
    I used Sjobs@apple.com and I don't think this was really him responding to me.
    Does anyone have his email address.
    Thank you very much.

2. Pippen Man macrumors regular

Could you post the email and what he said?

And, if you want to, take your iPod touch, not iTouch, to an Apple Store and just talk nicely to them. Sometimes they understand, or just complain about a software issue. They'll most likely swap them our for you.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Unless it cracked by itself (which is probably impossible), there's no reason for Apple to cover the damage under a limited warranty that does not cover accidental damage.

By the way, Steve will almost never be the one responding to you. It's like writing to the president, you just get some assistant in his office.

4. Nightline macrumors regular

Nightline

5. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

6. sashakelly thread starter macrumors newbie

I carry it in my bag, and yes it cracked by itself. It started as a hairline crack. I went to the 5th ave store and was told to swap it out for $199 after just spending $300 a month ago. I have alot of different models of the Blackberry, carried it the same way and it never cracked, not even after dropping it many times. They are producing a fancy inferior product that is not suitable for daliy use!!

7. sashakelly thread starter macrumors newbie

Here is the email reponse:

My name,

Unfortunately, the screens don't crack by themselves, so this iPod
    touch must have been dropped or experienced some other harsh
    treatment. Neither is covered by its warranty.

I'm sorry your iPod touch is damaged, but I'm not sure what Apple can
    do.

Best,
    Steve

8. DeuceDeuce macrumors 6502a

DeuceDeuce

LMAO... Some people are flippin amazing. :confused:

9. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

you did something to it so its not covered regardless what you say

ask yourself what would cause it to crack by itself?

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

Aren't they all signed in his name, though? Even if they're just from someone in his office?

11. cheekybobcat macrumors 6502a

cheekybobcat

Now wouldn't that be identity theft in a way :p

12. Dustman macrumors 65816

Dustman

Wouldn't it be crazy if i accidentally revealed that I was Steve Jobs, and that I've been reading your posts all along?

Oops, disregard that. :cool:

13. aethelbert macrumors 601

Not if they're all named Steve as his emails don't get signed with his last name.

I don't think that he lives in Halifax and commutes daily to the American west coast.

14. mojohanna macrumors 6502a

mojohanna

I use mine with no sleeve or screen protector. I have dropped it twice on the concrete with no ill effects other than a few scratches on the case.
    Before you go making absurd blanket statements such as "They are producing a fancy inferior product that it not suited for daily use" I would suggest that you consider that something else could have happened to your touch while in your bag. Or it could have been a defect prior to to receiving it. Nonetheless, it is far from an "inferior" product as you state.

15. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

The sad thing is that glass can leave a factory with stress in it, and eventually develop fine and then larger cracks for no other reason than the minor temperature changes it experiences, something that is normal for portable devices.

4D

16. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Well, If he had put Cupertino in his profile info page, that would have been too easy. :p

17. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

As most everyone has pointed out, it did not crack itself. It was your poor judgement that cracked the screen. Anyway, I have heard from several people that sometimes Sir Steveness does reply personally to emails.

It'd be pretty neat if this were one of those emails. Why don't you print it out and frame it?

18. gethyphyyo macrumors regular

19. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Everyone here who believes a piece of glass can't crack by no fault of the owner is delusional. Yes, Apple will insist that is true. Yes, it would be rare. Yet in my life, including a stint designing glass topped furniture, I've seen plenty of glass develop cracks through no input of any person. All materials have coefficents of thermal expansion. It means that each material has a calcuable amount of dimensional change for each degree of temperature change. When you bond or mechanically relate two dissimilar materials together, a change in temperature will create stress in both materials. Minor stress usually won't make glass fail, but glass will often have pre-existing stress in it from the factory it was produced in. Tempered glass and glass coated to make it more scratch resistant have intentional stress put into them. Add that internal stress to a little thermal stress and you'll get a crack. How does an iPod get thermally stressed? By moving it from warm to cold to warm to cold and so on.

I'd be willing to bet that there is a higher incidence of reported cracks in winter than in more moderate months. We take our portable devices out into the cold then bring them back in several times in cold weather. Where I live my Touch can suffer 90 degree temperature shocks on some very cold days.

I contend that some Touch owners abuse their Touches and are responsible for cracking the screen. I also contend that some screens crack on their own.

It's easy to see why Apple will assume the first. Profit. Why do you folks assume the first absolutely? Just curious.

4D

20. sashakelly09 macrumors newbie

Why?

I'd like to know how many of the previous phones she carried in a similar manner were damage? I'm a PC guy, but what gets me hot under the collar is the guy was nice enough to respond in private to you and you couldn't show him an equal amount of respect and not plaster his email address all over the live net. It's too bad he probably wont do the same with ours that he has on file... What to go Kelly!

21. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

How does the screen just crack?

It seems that something happened to cause the crack.

22. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Yes, let's all ask questions to a member that hasn't been on this website in nine months :rolleyes:

23. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

And be the lamest kid on your block...LOL

24. synagence macrumors 6502a

I've been absolutely amazed at the toughness of the ipod touch .... i've (several times) had it in my back pocket and actually sat on it for a good while ... the back of the case even got a small crease in the metal skin but it still worked flawlessly and the screen itself was as scratch free as it was the day i got it....

I'm not disputing the OP's case in any way but having things in pockets/bags can inadvertently get something pressed against the screen causing pressure without realizing it ... so even though you think you didn't do anything, it's certainly possible you could have cracked it without doing anything in particult

25. meyer1131 macrumors regular