Cracked screen Repair or Replace?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jagooch, Jun 1, 2019.

1. jagooch macrumors 6502

jagooch

My Apple watch 4 screen was cracked by a Soccer ball hitting my arm that was wearing my Apple Watch 4.

There is a round shattering of the screen glass with about 4-5 hairline cracks coming out of it and going all the way across the screen. It works but I think the cracks are spreading. it's a matter of time before the screen falls apart.

My watch is over a year old and without Apple Care.

I see 3 options:
    1. Take it to Apple to repair the screen.
    2. Buy a used Apple Watch on Craigslist.
    Prices are around $350 in my area.
    3. Buy a new Apple Watch 4 from Apple.

What would you do?

I was shocked at the amount of damage, and looked into getting it repaired. I think it's like $300 to replace the screen since I don't have AC. Actually, from reading this thread it sounds like Apple Care would not have covered it anyway

2. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

How is your Apple Watch Series 4 over a year old, when it released in September 2018?

Anyways, I would probably just not pay the repair fee, and spend a little bit extra money for a new Series 4, or even yet, maybe wait to see what the Series 5 offers, if one is released in the fall.

3. jagooch thread starter macrumors 6502

jagooch

you're right, somehow my search in evernote brought up the wrong Apple watch receipt. that was probably the series 1 I had.

I searched again and looks like I ordered late September w with estimated delivery date in
    October 2018.

I doubt they would fix it for a reasonable cost. see image.

Attached Files:

4. rgyiv macrumors regular

rgyiv

I'd see what Apple would do for you, and if it's not a reasonable price, I'd buy something new or refurbished from Apple or Best Buy.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

The images have the classic look of impact damage but you never know what Apple will say.

6. jagooch thread starter macrumors 6502

jagooch

Thanks for the replies. I decided to live with the cracked display and use the watch as long as it lasts. I blocked another shot on my team's goal yesterday, and the Soccer ball hit my arm right where the watch would have been. I took it off this time so it was just my arm that took the impact. :)