Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

soapsudz

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
AASPs aren't shafting customers at all. We cannot authorize a free replacement when the user has caused the damage. If the user calls 800 MY APPLE and BMCs until the rep authorizes a replacement we can proceed with the repair for free. We make the same (pittance) either way, from Apple.

Also there is NO glass on the front of an Air's screen.

My initial words were a bit harsh on AASPs but Apple's policy on accidental damage seems inconsistent. It seems the people getting free repairs/replacements on MBAs with broken screens and liquid damage are getting it done at Apple Stores by lenient Geniuses, even though Apple's warranty doesn't cover accidental damage.

Why is it that one Apple Store will fix a broken screen for free while another won't? For one happy customer you end up getting many more who are frustrated and shocked at having to pay almost the price of a new computer just for a new display.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
Why is it that one Apple Store will fix a broken screen for free while another won't? For one happy customer you end up getting many more who are frustrated and shocked at having to pay almost the price of a new computer just for a new display.

Well, it is a discretionary situation, but the warranty doesn't cover accidental damage, so they always have that to fall back on.

Apple's customer service is second to none, among major computer manufacturers, and results like the ones people have described in this thread aren't uncommon.

I don't know about other AASPs but we do allow some leeway in our replacement, and we always give a customer the information to call Apple and appeal our decision.

shaneomac.28

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
I feel your pain.

I highly recommend a company called expert mac repair. I would post a link but I do believe they frown on that. you can goole it. They provide over night shipping free of charge and can do your repair in about a week. They provide on line price quotes right away...got$399 to replace a macbook air screen. They repaired my water damaged macbook pro and replaced the screen for a fraction of what Apple would charge....even replaced the aluminum casing because it was scratched....just frigin awesome.

soapsudz

macrumors member
May 14, 2011
Techrestore are now offering repairs to 11" and 13" MBA models as well as matte screen upgrades. It costs $399 for a 11.6" matte screen but it's only for the US. I'm not there so I'll probably have to do a DIY repair.

Screentek also has the 11.6" screen in stock. At least that's what the website says...
http://www.screentekinc.com/Apple_M...nch--1366x768-wxga_hd-laptop-lcd-screen.shtml

Has anyone here actually tried to replace the screen element on the MBA 11"? Just the screen and not the entire top assembly.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
If you go in the store, go with the attitude that they don't owe you a new screen because the don't. That attitude will probably help increase the chances that they may do it for you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.