Cracked screen :-/

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by timiscute, Mar 8, 2013.

1. timiscute macrumors member

So my girlfriend cracked the screen of her iPad2 today. How much should this cost me to fix? I read somewhere that taking it in to Apple to get fixed would cost $300. That seems like a crazy amount since the 8GB iPad is 400. How much should I pay to get this fixed? If i brought it to a local computer repair shop should they be able to fix it? I found a few websites that offer to repair it for $99 but you gotta send it in and was unsure of the trutworthiness of these sites. Any and all info welcome. Thanks a bunch.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

3. timiscute thread starter macrumors member

4. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Cheaper courtesy of ifixit.

First to results are relevant to you.

5. Minitrouble macrumors newbie

I replaced the front panel on an iPad and it went ok. The parts cost about $35 delivered. Then my friends asked me to do theirs but after the 2nd one I called it quits. I ended up finding a local college student that does them for about $80 parts and labor and he's quick. It takes him about 20 min where it took me about 2 hours and I got glass bits everywhere!

My suggestion is to ask if anyone at the college or university knows someone fixing iPads/iPhones. Students break stuff and there's someone there fixing them.

Good luck,

6. tgi macrumors 65816

tgi

I think he is referring to pics of girlfriend.

7. timiscute thread starter macrumors member

lol she ended up taking it to apple and spending a crazy amount to trade it in. oh well