Cracking Macbook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sergiuria, Nov 25, 2008.

1. sergiuria macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I have no idea how this happened. It started smaller, and getting bigger and bigger as time goes on. This is happening on my dad's black macbook. Was this made by our fault? or bad quality from Apple? I was shocked when it started to happen, because I really take care of my laptop. And was shocked when my dad told me it was happening to him too

Attached Files:

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Its bad apple quality, happens to lots if not most plastic macbook owners in they're lifetime. On the plus side, if you're in warranty they'll replace it for free.

I hope it doesn't happen to me, mines a 4th revision model so i might be ok.
    So far, everyone I know with one pre 2008 has had the problem, everyone with a early 2008 model is fine thus far.

When did you get yours?

3. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

Known issue in SOME of the previous generation MB, and you shouldn't have a problem getting it replaced if you have Apple Care.

4. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

Members of this forum even reported that Apple replace these on out of warranty MacBooks.

5. greenday123 macrumors 6502

Thats interesting, ive never seen cracking on the lcd housing, but the keyboard/trackpad cracking is pretty common, just take it to apple, they should replace it for free whether your under warranty or not, is a design flaw on their part and its not your fault.

6. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

February 2008

7. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

One more question.
    I live in Nicaragua, and there is no Apple Store here :eek::( Can I ship it to them and have it replaced?

8. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

You bought yours then? That would probably mean it was made in late 2007.

9. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Can't I check that with the serial number? If so, how?

10. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

11. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Here is when it was built

Attached Files:

12. jlwillia macrumors regular

I've also heard of this happening to people who carry around their macbook by the front (where the palms rest) when the screen is open using one hand.

Sorry, that's hard to follow. Basically, if you carry it around with one hand while the screen is open, that puts a large amount of pressure in one spot. I know people who did this quite often and now have cracks around the palmrest near the front.

13. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Not me, I always put my hand or hands, at the bottom

14. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

From my understanding they changed the "plastic" in March of this year. If that is a fact (I heard this from a friend who works at an Apple Store---I can also tell the difference in my current Blackbook from the previous one I had), then you would of had the older plastic. Even then I never had a crack on my previous one or this one. I don't really take good care of them either and travel with it everyday. Guess I have been lucky.

15. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    it can also happen if the lid gets closed to hard. I carried mine around in my backpack and the pressure from all my things caused that to happen.

16. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Once again :p
    One more question.
    I live in Nicaragua, and there is no Apple Store here Can I ship it to them and have it replaced?

17. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

This is a question you probably have to call Apple yourself to find out.

18. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

Thanks! I'll give AppleCare a call tomorrow and let you guys know how it went!

19. andrewag macrumors 6502

The plastic falling off on the computer has occurred in quite a few of my Faculty's staff MacBooks. If it were my personal one I would be upset.

20. ref26 macrumors 6502a

ref26

This happened on my Blackbook and the topcase was replaced, no problem. The woman at the Apple store told me not to carry my MB in a bag with books, but that's kind of silly for a computer geared largely towards students. Oh well, if it happens again I'll replace it again.

21. pscraig macrumors member

I have seen this on several Macbooks and finally figured it out one day, watching my girlfriend close her Macbook, then grab it by the corner, with one hand, and put it in a case. The bending stress caused by the one-handed handling on the front and corners has caused her screen bezel and top case to crack very similar to the posted photos.

The Genius at the Apple Store was sympathetic but as it was out of warranty (early 07 purchase) we were out of luck.

The screen bezel and keyboard/topcase were a total of $60 on Ebay, and the instructions on iFixit were great.

22. FieryFurnace macrumors 6502

FieryFurnace

23. jamin100 macrumors 6502

They will replace the top case even out of warranty. I brought a macbook off ebay a few months back (06 model) and they sorted it out no problems.

24. Jeffrosproto macrumors 6502

Chances are Shanghai. To the op, applecare should replace it, however the shipping thing may be a bit iffy.

25. sergiuria thread starter macrumors 6502a

sergiuria

I called AppleCare, and explained what happened, and they asked me where I was right now. I said Nicaragua, and it looks like they DO have Apple Stores here. Well, they are more like two authorized dealers, and not Apple Stores per se. They said they were going to ship the parts to my local store, and when they arrived, they would call me, to replace them :)

Thanks everyone!