Cracks just started!! Will they go worse?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by avital, Apr 1, 2015.

1. avital macrumors newbie

Okey soo i just noticed that my dear macbook mid 2010 is broken now. I have really been OCD babying it since new, and its working very good. The battery is also like it was when new. :(

I really hate this, and i wonder if those cracks are likely to grow or stay this way?? If so, im gonna throw or give away my macbook right now, because this is really making me both sad and angry at the same time, knowing that i didnt drop it or do anything wrong with it.

Figure its gonna be VERY expensive to have it repaired.
    Heres a picture:

Attached Files:

2. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Ya, plastic will crack like that after 5+ years of use. Forget repairing it. Buy a new one, because your case isn't the only thing outdated.

3. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

4. avital thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh no..

I really liked my white macbook, but then i guess its time to buy something else, that will last and not crack like that :(

5. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Very common for the unibody macbook to crack there (either side)...mine did same thing,but never got worse over the next year that I owned it. With a ssd and maxed out ram,there really pretty snappy macbook's. Mine ran Yosemite quite well.

6. Steve121178 macrumors 68040

Steve121178

You expect a machine that's had 5 years use to still look pristine? Wear & tear should be expected.

7. avital thread starter macrumors newbie

I should last and not crack like this! It must be a design fault. Im trying to sell it on eBay or give it away. Remember that i paid a lot for it and taken good care of it.

My dads lousy old laptop (acer) doesnt crack to pieces, so again this must be a known design flaw

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'd just put a hard shell case on it to give it some support then use it until it no longer functioned.

9. Phyco126 macrumors member

If you are going to give it away, I'll pay shipping. My wife is getting tired of me trying to mess with her MacBook Air at my IT internship (we support Macs, I don't know much about them, so I have been taking hers and playing with the settings before messing with employee's Macs).

10. avital thread starter macrumors newbie

So its not likely the cracks wont expand i guess? :(

11. Brian Y macrumors 68040

Take it to an apple store - if it's not vintage, it should be a free repair.

That model has 3 known problems:

- The hinges crack like that
    - The plastic above the ethernet port cracks
    - The rubber base cracks.

I've never seen the cracks expand beyond where yours are now.

12. avital thread starter macrumors newbie

They would repair a 2010 macbook for free really?
    Omg are you sure? I mean its pretty much out of warranty by now. But if they do, then i will drive there today!

13. Brian Y macrumors 68040

It depends who you get, and it may not be the case any more, but it certainly used to be the case. It's certainly worth asking anyway (maybe call them to check if they still do it).

14. avital thread starter macrumors newbie

Just talked to Apple support, they said no. They wont fix it for free

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

They won't fix it at all...

It is now considered vintage and they do not carry the parts. Any 5 year old plastic laptop will be showing wear by now. The heat and general abuse will cause the plastic to get slowly brittle and start to crack. Thats the nature of the beast.

They are not designed to last forever, indeed all material science degrees now come with a semester on inbuilt redundancy to force people to buy new products. You may not like it but it is the way of the world and you just have to deal with that.

If it still works fine and the cracks don't impact how it works then just keep using it until it dies.

16. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

Wow. You really love your laptop. Sooner or later you're going to have to replace it. Not everything lasts you know.

17. avital thread starter macrumors newbie

Not true. My friends macbook well used 2008 has no cracks!

18. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

I'm confused. You don't want to spend money in order to fix your MacBook and you also do not want to buy a new one. These are your only options yet you don't seem to want to go for any of them :confused:

19. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Your far better to go to a local Apple store, as you may get a benevolent Genius who will grant the repair. Over the phone Apple will likely give you one answer and you have it...

Q-6

20. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Not gonna happen with a 5-yr old machine that is out of production and no longer even serviced by Apple. They won't even have parts for repair.

Dude - it's a crack in the plastic. Live with it, buy some epoxy, or buy yourself a nice new aluminum laptop. Them's the choices.

21. Queen6 macrumors 603

Queen6

Don't ask, you don't get, agree it`s unlikely, equally is the store is close why not...

Me I would just replace it, I have no special affinity with hardware, it`s just a tool to get the job done.

Q-6

22. avital thread starter macrumors newbie

But... if its just cracks i guess i can live with it.

I mean if its only cosmetic. But what scares me is that im wondering if it will stay like this, or grow untill its nothing left(?)

Some say yes, those hairline cracks are likely to expand. And some say no, they wont get worse :(

23. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

avital: take it into a apple store and ask if they will fix it....a couple years ago I took in a 2007 macbook that had the top chipping issue...they replaced the top for free! (least worth a try)

24. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

These cracks are a known 'feature', although it's difficult to believe that it suddenly appeared without the MacBook having taken a significant knock.

I've got two unibody MacBooks, bought ~5 months and ~12 months ago. Both were bought with minor cracks (shorter than yours) on one or both hinges, but none of these cracks has extended. And these MacBooks are being chucked about – literally – by my teenage daughters. So I wouldn't automatically assume that it will grow.

You can't see it when the MacBook's in use, but if the crack offends you that much then slap a case on it. They'll hide the crack, offer some additional protection, and can be had for <$15.

25. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I love mine. I mainly use it when traveling. I bought mine used about 15 months ago just to have it. It had AppleCare on it until last November. During that time, I had a couple of issues with the case cracking and breaking away around the MagSafe connector. Eventually it cause the MagSafe board to short out and stop working. Apple replaced the MagSafe board and the entire upper/lower case under the AC warranty.

I'm a very lucky and very happy camper. I love my iMac, but I also love the looks I get while traveling when I pull the white MacBook out and fire it up.