Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Jun 28, 2017
I emailed Federighi about the disaster that is iOS 16 notifications at the bottom of the screen and the fact that it disappears ‘old’ notifications to the hidden submenu. Imagine the huge percentage of iOS users that don’t know that exists, and how unbelievably stupid it is to hide notifications at all….

A notification SHOULD NOT GO AWAY UNLESS ACTED UPON BY THE USER. SIMPLICITY IS GREAT DESIGN COMPLEXITY IS TRASH DESIGN.

paulrustad

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2013
Apple could use all the AI NEURAL engines that they claim are superior and take al the feedback, sort them into caregoreis and then rate each category appropriately. They then see a nice list of what people are suggesting first and foremost, and also see what bugs are at the top.

MysticCow

macrumors 68000
May 27, 2013
isn't effective in giving users the amount of influence and interaction they desire.

PEBKAC problem, also known as a 1D10T error.

No you don't get to say "everything is wrong and this is correct" in beta testing. That is alpha testing, not beta.

We had this same issue in the World of Warcraft alpha vs beta. Best friends and streamers come in for alpha testing and don't want a dang thing changed because they're afraid of losing their "alpha tester" status. Beta is the bug fixers, where tons of users devour the content and look for bugs/issues.

The problem lies with the alpha testers, just like with Warcraft. You need new alpha testers and not your best friends.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
At their large scale, I think it’s time Apple considers non-annual releases. Too much rushing features which never launch at launch anyway.

We need a Snow Leopard era again.
A little annoyance a lot of people forget about SL is that it completely cut out PPC and that the Mac market was TINY compared to it is now. I'm not sure everyone would be ready to completely cut out Intel.

A better example that everyone needs to reference is a "Mavericks reboot" since Mavericks was a true OS optimization release without changing any hardware requirements. I personally left my Mac Pro on Mavericks until High Sierra.

TriBruin

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2008
Long-winded explanations are probably skimmed over, if not overlooked, and your "legitimate report" is whittled down to what it should be...short and concise.
That is a completely WRONG suggestion. Talk to any Apple SE, they want details. When I file feedback, I give a complete description of the issue, how to reproduce, what the impact to my environment is going to be, and (since I am a Mac Admin), whether this issue will prevent me adopting the upgrade in my organization.

A simple "it doesn't work" is not a good response.

anthogag

macrumors 68020
Jan 15, 2015
Canada
That is a completely WRONG suggestion. Talk to any Apple SE, they want details. When I file feedback, I give a complete description of the issue, how to reproduce, what the impact to my environment is going to be, and (since I am a Mac Admin), whether this issue will prevent me adopting the upgrade in my organization.

A simple "it doesn't work" is not a good response.
Short and concise does not mean it lacks details or a complete description.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Imagine the pain of users having easy access to turn their daily driver devices into day 1 beta testers. Devices would be constantly unstable and that would be socialized into Apple products are buggy and low quality. The current method is a safer way to protect the brand and users from themselves.
Is it?
I actually know a lot of people, people who knew absolutely nothing about how beta testing works, who downloaded profiles from shady websites to get lock screen and home screen widgets early, I don’t think that’s any safer.
Also, as I pointed out, it’s already this way on tvOS.
Are you suggesting that customers of tvOS are just naturally better beta testers?

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
Is it?
I actually know a lot of people, people who knew absolutely nothing about how beta testing works, who downloaded profiles from shady websites to get lock screen and home screen widgets early, I don’t think that’s any safer.
Also, as I pointed out, it’s already this way on tvOS.
Are you suggesting that customers of tvOS are just naturally better beta testers?
You "know a lot of people" equals about 5. We are talking about millions. Also, not a lot of people have Apple TV to begin with and average users aren't searching for the "Turn on Beta Updates" options. They simply don't care like you do.

Last edited:

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Just stop releasing software while it's still obviously buggy. No one is in a rush for a new operating system these days. Keep polishing and refining and maybe focus on stability and completeness rather than meeting the stupid annual cycle deadlines.

The first step is to admit you have a problem.

At least he publicly admitted it, hopefully it means they will take steps to address it.
This is the exact reason why I love Craig. He keeps everything real. There is no sugar coating. He is not afraid to admit the faults/flaws. He doesn’t need a script. He keeps everything authentic and as is. Good or bad.

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
View attachment 2113447 Of course Feedback is a crap.
Several times I faced a situation that FW / SW I used and wanted to post a feedback / bug report was not implemented in drop-down menu…

Like with AirPods last FW where I had to manually type latest version… if this comes to FO there is unnecessary waste of time…

Example:
This is exactly what I was going to post. Why do you have to go through the Spanish Inquisition for an annoyance bug. Shouldn't it know some of the answers based on logs or such??

I submitted a bug recently for iOS 16.2 and noticed I still had unanswered feedback dating back to 2011 lol. If anything, just select all and mark them closed. Guess I won't bother submitting feedback if they admit that they all go unanswered. What's the point of the feedback app then? 🤔
If I were you I would copy Craig and email him personally. See what type of response you get. 10+ years is a long time. Maybe he will respond to you personally.

orbital~debris

macrumors 68020
Mar 3, 2004
UK, Europe
It takes balls to admit this after so many years of worthless public beta program.

At this point, it honestly feels like Apple's public beta programme gives the most benefit to news outlets like '9to5Mac' – and, to some extent, MacRumors – who create 'news' posts about new features, talking about them like they're available to everyone and confusing more casual readers in the process.

I can remember the Mac OS X Public Beta was exciting! Buying the folio containing a CD-ROM, installing it on my iMac… 🤩💿

compwiz1202

macrumors 604
May 20, 2010
PEBKAC problem, also known as a 1D10T error.

No you don't get to say "everything is wrong and this is correct" in beta testing. That is alpha testing, not beta.

We had this same issue in the World of Warcraft alpha vs beta. Best friends and streamers come in for alpha testing and don't want a dang thing changed because they're afraid of losing their "alpha tester" status. Beta is the bug fixers, where tons of users devour the content and look for bugs/issues.

The problem lies with the alpha testers, just like with Warcraft. You need new alpha testers and not your best friends.
Yea even in beta they never get a broad enough audience. Live is out for like 4s, and someone finds a way to break or exploit something

Alexwastaken

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2015
Minneapolis,MN
we could see an updated approach for next year's batch of new updates, which will include iOS 17 and macOS 14.
That's not what was said or even alluded to at all. He stated they're aware it's not the way users would prefer. It wasn't an interview or exchange with anyone notable, it was a reader. He didn't want to offend them by saying this is by design. Let them worry about bugs, as opposed to adding features that .0001% of the users would use, they already have trouble with that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.