Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's current focus with Face ID is on single-user authentication, suggesting support for multiple faces won't be added in the near future, according to an email from the company's software engineering chief Craig Federighi.

touch-id-vs-face-id.jpg

By comparison, Touch ID can store up to five fingerprints, and each of those fingerprints can belong to a different person. This allows a married couple, for example, to be able to securely authenticate a single iPhone.

In an email to a customer, however, Federighi admitted that Touch ID's multi-finger support has always been intended for a single iPhone owner to authenticate with a finger or thumb on both the left and right hand if desired.

Federighi added that Face ID could eventually authenticate multiple faces as the system evolves in the future, but his email makes it clear that Apple doesn't have any immediate plans to implement said functionality.

MacRumors since publishing this article has received full headers that verify this email, originally shared on Reddit. We can confirm the email originates from Apple's servers at its headquarters in Cupertino, California.

email-craig-face-id-touch-id.jpg
A screenshot of Craig Federighi's alleged email response to a customer

Apple says Face ID has a one in 1,000,000 chance of a false match, compared to one in 50,000 for Touch ID, although the probability is higher among identical twins, siblings who look alike, and children.

Vietnamese security firm Bkav has also been able to spoof Face ID twice with 3D printed masks, but the steps involved are quite complex and this isn't something the average user should be very concerned about.

In practical, real-world usage, Face ID has proved to be very secure and reliable. But, at least for now, it appears that iPhone X owners won't be able to extend this convenience to their trusted family members or friends.

Article Link: Craig Federighi: Apple Focused on Single-User Face ID, Touch ID Was Never Intended for Multiple Users

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The couple should create a less complex password unless he works in one of the rare sensitive positions where high security is required. If he is in such a position, then *he* shouldn't be using FaceID either.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Touch ID was never intended for multiple users? That's B.S. They built Touch ID to support five fingers. Who is going to register five of their own fingers for Touch ID?!

Somebody with more than four fingers, I'd imagine. That about covers most of Apple's customers.

Up to five fingers. They gave the option. It wasn't mandatory to register five and it doesn't imply it was meant for multiple users.

If humans had three heads, I imagine Face ID would also support multiple faces, but not for the intended purpose of being used by multiple users.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Touch ID was never intended for multiple users? That's B.S. They built Touch ID to support five fingers. Who is going to register five of their own fingers for Touch ID?!
If that was a real question - I guess you mean me? I have had four different fingers registered since I first started using a 5s. Fifth position is for my nose. (Yes, my nose), when I have my furry gloves on. :D

Leonard1818

macrumors 68020
Nov 15, 2011
WOW! I wondered but figured that you could do multiple faces on the iPhone X. Chalk that up to one more regression. I'm in the same boat as the email sender. My wife and I (even my daughter) access each other's phones for various reasons. Not being able to quickly access one or the other device in an emergency when you're flustered is not cool. Touch ID was superior in this regard.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Lmaooo is this guy serious? Give me a break. What does he do that he needs such a long complex passcode?

And why doesn’t he just disable attention awareness and his wife can just hold the phone towards his face to unlock it.

This is such a nonissue it’s hilarious. How many times do they REALLY need to get into each other’s phone? Might as well share a phone number and iCloud account too.

Amazing Iceman

macrumors 603
Nov 8, 2008
Florida, U.S.A.
Excuses from people who just want to have their minute of fame.
Anyway, they can set a 10 digit password, it would be like memorizing another phone number.
A wireless phone is a personal device, just like underwear or a toothbrush. You don't go sharing it with other people.
And all three may carry viruses and bacteria.

outskirtsofinfinity

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2017
Calgary
When enabling Touch ID for my mobile banking app, I had to sign a declaration stating that I am the only person whose fingerprint is registered on the phone. It's part of the bank's Terms of Service. I haven't checked Apple's own Terms yet. But I'd be horrified if it allowed a different person's fingerprint on one's phone.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Not being able to quickly access one or the other device in an emergency when you're flustered is not cool. Touch ID was superior in this regard.

Emergency being...? You can still emergency call when the phone is locked. I can't think of a scenario that would constitute an emergency but involves unlocking their phone to resolve the emergency. That scenario also involving you not having your own phone.

blackcrayon

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2003
Apple probably wouldn't do this, but there is a solution that wouldn't need any advances in the FaceID tech.

Simply have a screen where you first tap the user you want to authenticate as, then FaceID only has to attempt a match vs. that person's face instead of trying to decide among a list of different possible faces.

Don't see much use for an iPhone anyway, but possibly for an iPad and definitely if FaceID comes to the Mac. Also, I think if you have two people unlocking a phone, the second person is probably not the primary user and it wouldn't be a big deal for that person to use the passcode.

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
Don't see much use for an iPhone anyway, but possibly for an iPad and definitely if FaceID comes to the Mac. Also, I think if you have two people unlocking a phone, the second person is probably not the primary user and it wouldn't be a big deal for that person to use the passcode.

This. I can understand why they wouldn't do it on the iPhone but I'd argue multiple users/authentication on iPads & Macs is a must. We'll find out when Face ID comes to iPad I suppose.

Reactions: TMRJIJ
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.