Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Law enforcement officials are revisiting proposals that would require tech companies to build backdoor access into electronic devices to allow for better access to data in criminal investigations, reports The New York Times.

This is an issue that was heavily debated following the 2016 legal dispute between Apple and the FBI over the iPhone 5c that belonged to San Bernardino shooter Syed Farook. The government wanted Apple to create software that would allow them to access data on the device, which Apple refused to do.

applefbi-800x453.jpg

In response to rumors over renewed efforts to build such a tool, Apple software engineering chief Craig Federighi told The New York Times that weakening security protections in iOS devices would be a grave mistake, maintaining Apple's stance on the issue.
"Proposals that involve giving the keys to customers' device data to anyone but the customer inject new and dangerous weaknesses into product security," he said in a statement. "Weakening security makes no sense when you consider that customers rely on our products to keep their personal information safe, run their businesses or even manage vital infrastructure like power grids and transportation systems."
Apple has continually argued for the need for improvements to device security to stay ahead of hackers and other bad actors who exploit security vulnerabilities in iOS devices. During the dispute over the San Bernardino device, Apple refused to build a backdoor tool into its devices and argued that if such a tool existed, it could easily end up in non-government hands.

Federighi has previously spoken passionately on the issue, and in early 2016, he published an op-ed in The Washington Post using the same argument he reiterated in his statement to The New York Times. iOS devices, he said, are "part of the security perimeter that protects your family and co-workers." From Federighi in 2016:
To get around Apple's safeguards, the FBI wants us to create a backdoor in the form of special software that bypasses passcode protections, intentionally creating a vulnerability that would let the government force its way into an iPhone. Once created, this software -- which law enforcement has conceded it wants to apply to many iPhones -- would become a weakness that hackers and criminals could use to wreak havoc on the privacy and personal safety of us all.
According to The New York Times, FBI and DOJ officials have been "quietly" meeting with security researchers to work on approaches that would provide "extraordinary access" to encrypted devices like the iPhone. Based on this research, DOJ officials "are convinced" there's a way to create a backdoor to access data without weakening a device's defense against hacking.

One method under discussion involves a special access key that would be generated when a device encrypts itself, allowing data to be unlocked without a user's passcode. The key would be stored on the device itself, in a part of the hard drive that would be encrypted separately. Only the device manufacturer, with a court order, would be able to access it.

Susan Landau, a computer security professor at Tufts University, told The New York Times that this would create "significant additional security risks" given that "so many more tech companies" would need to access these keys to comply with the inevitable flood of law enforcement access requests.

Talks inside the executive branch have reportedly been renewed over whether to ask Congress to enact legislation that would require tech companies to create a new access mechanisms for law enforcement officials. The talks are said to be in a preliminary stage with no imminent request for legislation ready at this time.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: Craig Federighi on Renewed Government Push for Backdoor Device Access: 'Weakening Security Makes No Sense'

iObama

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2008
This whole Facebook thing has me really 'doubling down,' to use Tim's phrase, on my privacy online. Am I willing to sacrifice ease of use for privacy? I was two weeks ago. Now? I'm not so sure.

Suffering through ProtonMail (it's good, but it's no Gmail), DuckDuckGo, Ghostery, and meticulously staying on top of which apps have permissions for what.

TheShadowKnows!

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2014
National Capital Region
Asymmetric encryption (public key encryption) is so last century (invented by Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir and Len Adleman at MIT in 1977).

From the same genesis, MIT, PKE will be obsoleted once governments (or a few deep-pocketed bad actors) develop a usable Quantum computer running Shor's algorithm.

http://news.mit.edu/2016/quantum-computer-end-encryption-schemes-0303

Much ado nothing: the end of "Too Many Secrets".

Reactions: simonmet

justiny

Contributor
Jul 28, 2008
Bubbletucky
Perhaps if lawmakers and government officials would stop being lazy and do their jobs, the need to hack into a mobile device after a tragedy/criminal act wouldn’t become the paramount necessity to conduct a proper investigation.

The level of incompetence is astounding; government information on all levels is leaked out on a daily basis, and they believe the public would trust them to hack into devices while respecting privacy responsibly? What about the devices belonging to victims and witnesses?

The precedence of this is terrifying. Not no, but hell no.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
‘But what if we didn’t just have a backdoor, but instead was a really really secure backdoor?! Surely that would be ok!?’
:rolleyes:

Reactions: ILikeAllOS and SqB

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
The government couldn't care less about the larger disruptions that would be caused by creating a backdoor. They have the shortsighted goal of obtaining evidence against suspects over the likelihood that countless people would end up having their identities stolen and their private personal communications posted online. The Russians and Chinese will have these keys no more than a few weeks after they are created. Our government simply can't keep secrets.

mariusignorello

Suspended
Jun 9, 2013
This whole Facebook thing has me really 'doubling down,' to use Tim's phrase, on my privacy online. Am I willing to sacrifice ease of use for privacy? I was two weeks ago. Now? I'm not so sure.

Suffering through ProtonMail (it's good, but it's no Gmail), DuckDuckGo, Ghostery, and meticulously staying on top of which apps have permissions for what.
I use ProtonMail and won’t turn back. It’s been rock solid.

JRobinsonJr

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2015
Arlington, Texas
Not this again. I thought we were over this already. The worse part is with the appointees from current administration, I wouldn't be surprised if they actually went ahead with it.
smh

One minor change: The worst part is with appointees from ANY administration"! :). Appointees aren't elected and thus aren't on the same short leash.

Reactions: The Barron

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
Oh, the irony... so the government wants to investigate/regulate FB and social media because they're concerned about user privacy but they want to seriously compromise people's data that's far more sensitive than who our friends are, where we went for vacay and what movie we watched this weekend? SMH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.