Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zarniwoop

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2009
West coast, Finland
All the FBI would need to do is to build a social media app that everyone loves to use, an app that promises users privacy and - no ads! After that all they need to do is to sit down and watch how the data flows...

Last edited:
Reactions: nt5672

nt5672

macrumors 68040
Jun 30, 2007
Midwest USA
. . .

I think we need to find a balanced approach. There has to be a good compromise.

Those who flatly oppose it, just think about it for a minute. What if your daughter or son was kidnapped and the FBI had the phone, which may contain details on where they are located, but cannot access it. Would you want them to gain access and save your kids?

Of course you would...

. . . .

Then you don't let your kids drive a car, or go out late at night, etc. do you. We know there are risks in the world. Those risks do not change when we ask every other person in the world to be at risk for criminals just in case, using your example, someone's daughter is kidnapped.

Do we remove locks on doors just in case someone is trapped in a burning building. Nope, yet hundreds of people have died this way. What if your daughter is locked in a burning building?

Do we remove locks on doors just in case someone is in a car wreck so its easier to open the door to save a life, etc. Nope, but what if your daughter is trapped in the car? Sure, bring on the jaws of life, but that takes longer and there is more chance of injury. Surely, you don't want your daughter to have a higher chance of injury.

These last two example are, of course, stupid examples, but your argument that giving the government access makes it safer is just as bogus. It does not change the risk to, using your example, your daughter one bit. It might make you feel better, but thats it. And it puts millions of us in harms way everyday which, of course, does not seem to matter to you.

What this is, is an other example of government scare tactics in order for people to give up their freedoms and allow the government to track and monitor them. The government does not care if you get hacked. The government does not care that criminals might use your hacked phone to arrange the kidnapping of your daughter. The government cannot even keep its illegal NSA code private.

Do you want the government to do everything necessary to find, in this example, your daughter? Of course, but if they cannot unlock the phone, then maybe they should just do their job in other ways. The likelihood of the phone being the key piece in any investigation with time pressure is small because criminal know phones are not safe already. If there is no time pressure, then there are other ways for the government to do its job. Might take longer, might cost more, might require more skill in investigating, etc. but the risk for the original crime does not change.

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Do we remove locks on doors just in case someone is trapped in a burning building. Nope, yet hundreds of people have died this way. What if your daughter is locked in a burning building?

We have keys. That's the point.

tridley68

macrumors 68000
Aug 28, 2014
I support the FBI and fully understand why they want the tools necessary to easily access a locked iPhone. At the same time, I love Apple products partially because of the walled garden and enhanced security. Privacy is important to people.

I think we need to find a balanced approach. There has to be a good compromise.

Those who flatly oppose it, just think about it for a minute. What if your daughter or son was kidnapped and the FBI had the phone, which may contain details on where they are located, but cannot access it. Would you want them to gain access and save your kids?

Of course you would...

You would not sit there talking about privacy. You'd be guessing that damn passwords for 14 hours a day -- as you should. Anyone would, I think.

On the other hand, do you want some hacker to exploit the backdoor or whatever means Apple creates? Probably not... that's not good for you and your privacy. So there has to be some compromise.
Be Strong Apple don't give them a inch .

vvswarup

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
If the US government were able to crack the phones of 9-11 terrorists 3000 Americans might still be walking around, their families wouldn't be heart-broken and the USA and the rest of the world would be a happier, safer place. But Apple profits against world security is a difficult choice.

Did I miss the sarcasm? Quite a few investigations have taken place into 9/11 and I don't think a lack of intelligence much less the ability to crack the phones of the 9/11 hijackers has ever been cited as a contributing factor. On the contrary, intelligence agencies had all the information in the world but the laws prevented them from sharing that information with the FBI in time. There's also the minor detail that smartphones weren't the communication method of choice for most people back then. But keep telling yourself that 9/11 could have been prevented if we had surveillance. London is begging you to move there.

FrankieTDouglas

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
I doubt it's a coincidence that this is occurring simultaneously as many in the country stumble forward with demands that the government "protect" them from guns. The State sees a clear opening while some people foolishly are willing to put all of their trust in a government (that they've repeatedly protested and fly the "RESIST" phrase against).

Reactions: centauratlas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.