Craig Federighi Succeeding Bertrand Serlet as Apple's Chief of Mac Software

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 23, 2011.

1. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Yes, I believe he has a glass eye.

2. SPUY767 macrumors 68020

SPUY767

That's because, One) All the people you hear about are department heads, and when you're in charge of a segment of a large corporation you're typically a Vice President, and Two) Apple doesn't just throw people into a position as a filler. When you are put in charge of a division of Apple, you're there because you've done good things in the past and they expect you to be there for the long haul.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

He did give a reason

MacRumors: Apple Mac Rumors and News You Care About.

Obviously you don't care about this but don't you think that the "senior vice president of Mac Software Engineering" who has been a part of previous keynote speechs consitutites news about Apple.

4. Thunderhawks Suspended

That's so he can look through it!

Seriously, that's worth mentioning?

5. Simiber macrumors newbie

6. saxofunk macrumors regular

saxofunk

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Nooooooooo! Bertrand was my favorite SVP, no corporate BS spewing from his mouth, just good old honesty and genuine pride about how great things were and how bad everyone else was :) I will forever miss his accent at the keynotes. I'm guessing they asked him to talk in a keynote about the 'magic' of Lion, so he left in pursuit of science!

7. ma5ter5 macrumors member

ma5ter5

kinda has that terminator look to it.

8. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

Someone asked about it so I responded?

It's just an ocular prosthesis for those that are missing an eye/eyes.

9. zin macrumors 6502

He got fed up of Apple concentrating too much on iOS. :rolleyes:

10. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

Huh? You dont find the head of software engineering to be leaving the company to be relevent? Since the current OS has roots in NeXT its safe to say that this guy played a huge role in the most important part of the Mac.

I find this a lot more or at least equaly relevent to the Mac world as the Itoys

11. Tailpike1153 macrumors 6502a

Tailpike1153

Thank you for all you've done, Bertrand Serlet! Now Mr Federighi, it's show time. SHow me what ya got!

12. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

that looks like he's demoing leopard because he's using an old cinema display and the "Aurora"

13. rmwebs macrumors 68040

Its never a good thing when the guy behind the reason we buy Mac's leaves. :(

For the user who mentioned that he was behind OS X flaws (you mentioned iTunes bloat) - you are wrong. iTunes isn't run directly by the Mac OS development team, it has its own department. There's probably a little crossover however generally he wouldn't have much input on iTunes.

14. Chrisdanger macrumors newbie

It looks like the field of potential "heirs" to Steve-O's throne is reduced. I will say the Steve Austin robot eye didnt win him any favors. Sad to see him go, bring on the next contestant

15. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

It's Snow Leopard.

16. ny3ranger macrumors regular

Cycle of life.

17. Blakeco123 macrumors regular

Blakeco123

Ya I got that. I didnt read every comment before posting, sorry. I was actually going to edit it.

18. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

It is kind of sad but I'm sure Apple will do okay. And there are a bunch of reasons why I buy Macs. Software is a big part but the design was another (having solidly built hardware is nice). If software was the only reason I'd be using Windows because at this point Windows 7 isn't bad and they frankly have more software for less (the Mac App Store game section compared to Steam is a great example of how little software there is and how we're generally getting ripped off...it isn't just games with this problem either).

19. Mr. Chewbacca macrumors 6502a

Mr. Chewbacca

I was wondering if it was a functioning implant designed to restore sight or a non-functioning cosmetic replacement for a lost eye. I did a quick look and it seems the functioning kind are pretty rare so prob not.

I am impressed that someone with limited sight and/or no depth perception would be so good at designing things.

Scientific research is a pretty awesome goal, I hope he enjoys it.

20. Hildron101010 macrumors member

Hildron101010

Caption

Haha, the caption for the picture is wrong. It says he is demoing Lion, but he's really showing Snow Leopard.

21. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Ahh the man with the shaky hand from the Lion demonstration.

22. ppdix macrumors 6502a

ppdix

What a portrait!

Looks like the admission photo for a gay club... :p

23. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

Aww man, I loved that guy's voice. His presentation of Snow Leopard was amazing, too. :D

24. Schizoid macrumors 6502a

Schizoid

"Disk Defragmentation! No end user should ever haff to know about zat!"