craigslist macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mrstaolin, Jun 26, 2010.

1. mrstaolin macrumors newbie

http://lansing.craigslist.org/sys/1812439854.html

does this seem legit?
    this is my first time buying anything from craigslist
    i'm going to meet him and test it out and stuff, but does the price seem right?
    he said that he has all of the discs and stuff

have you ever known or have you personally ever been scammed? i don't know i'm scared or something that i'm going to get scammed

2. claus1225 macrumors member

there's always certain amount of risk buying off craig's list

personally i wouldn't do it

rather spend a couple hundred more than to lose a grand

3. xpected_one macrumors regular

xpected_one

I would buy from CL... I think however that the asking price is a little steep.
    Mac2sell quotes it at 520$ assuming its a 160GB HDD and has a superdrive. If that is indeed the config I would definitely try to get a lower price IMO!

4. SPNarwhal macrumors 65816

SPNarwhal

definitely steep.
    i've seen the unibody models sell for as low as 600 over here.
    (not always startoff price, but i've talked people down to 600 before, and then decided not to buy it.)

especially since that whole microcenter deal.
    i wouldn't buy an old macbook, but that's just me. personally i wouldn't be able to live without the new multitouch trackpad. i hate the button ones.
    which is why i didn't buy a laptop until the new trackpad models were released.

5. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

too expensive. just scored on ebay a one month old macbook 2.4ghz with the 10hr battery life for $805. You can get a better deal or offer $400 for it.

6. 1rottenapple macrumors 65816

BTW, I personally have no issues buying off of ebay or craigslist used products. Just make sure it has a warranty left via the the serial number and you should be ok. I would not buy an out of warranty product, however, that just me, unless if its discounted a lot and the risk outweigh the reward. Like for that, if it was $350 it may be worth it. For $650, definitely offer a lower amount or pass.

7. macrumorsMaster macrumors 6502

DEFINTELY not worth it.

For the main reason that you can get a brand new refurb with a 1 year warranty, (with better specs) for $759 (when it shows up) + tax.

So for a little less than $200 more, you can a NEWER mb with better specs WITH a 1 yr warranty(that you can always upgrade to 3 years).

Hmmm....Easy decision! :p

I'll never understand why some CL and ebay people think they can get so much money for old tech, just cuz it's Apple.