Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I am planning on purchasing an unopened mid-2012 13" tomorrow from someone who contacted me through craigslist. Is there anything I should look for or be aware of before I make the transaction.

Also, I asked for a serial number, but the person said that since it has not been opened or registered he cannot give me the sn. After some reading it appears that since it is unopened this is actually a good sign.

I plan to open the box before leaving the public meeting place.

thanks in advance! can't wait to have a good mac again!

Raunien

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2011
From what I was told it has not been registered and that's why the person doesnt want to send it to me

Bring an internet device to the place of transaction and check the macbook pro serial number there. It is located either on the box, the bottom aluminum lid of the machine, or in the OS (once booted up).

Bring a usb, and cd to make sure all ports work. Testing the headphone jack would be nice too.

Ask a friend to come along and hold the money until you feel like it's a buy and that it's safe.

Always meet in a public place

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
From what I was told it has not been registered and that's why the person doesnt want to send it to me

I see. If at any point the seller told you that it was unidentifiable though that it is incorrect as it should be on the box and visible even if it's sealed.

If it's unopened, view the specs and all on the box and look for obvious signs to determine as to whether or not it's actually a 2012 model. For example, if you open it up and you find recovery disks then it is obviously not a 2012 model.

If it's alright with the seller, you could even go as far as to start it up and begin creating your user account, ultimately loading into the desktop and checking system profiler and what not. It seems a little extreme or paranoid, and I am not suggesting the seller is not genuine, just that you might as well to be on the safe side. You never know what some people are capable of in terms of scamming someone else. It's unfortunate but true.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Bring an internet device to the place of transaction and check the macbook pro serial number there. It is located either on the box, the bottom aluminum lid of the machine, or in the OS (once booted up).

Bring a usb, and cd to make sure all ports work. Testing the headphone jack would be nice too.

Ask a friend to come along and hold the money until you feel like it's a buy and that it's safe.

Always meet in a public place

ok, that was pretty much my plan, thank you. The guy seems legit, but the serial number thing kind of threw me off

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
The only other thing I would suggest is that you bring a buddy if you can, especially if cash is involved.

afinch1992

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
I see. If at any point the seller told you that it was unidentifiable though that it is incorrect as it should be on the box and visible even if it's sealed.

If it's unopened, view the specs and all on the box and look for obvious signs to determine as to whether or not it's actually a 2012 model. For example, if you open it up and you find recovery disks then it is obviously not a 2012 model.

If it's alright with the seller, you could even go as far as to start it up and begin creating your user account, ultimately loading into the desktop and checking system profiler and what not. It seems a little extreme or paranoid, and I am not suggesting the seller is not genuine, just that you might as well to be on the safe side. You never know what some people are capable of in terms of scamming someone else. It's unfortunate but true.

ah ok, I did not know that they didnt come with a restore disk. thank you for the tip.

It is a base model, so the main thing I'm going to look for is the intel 4000 chip. I dont own any usb 3.0, so that I cant really check

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
Don't worry about the serial not being registered to anyone. The seller is fine for not providing it but you'll be able to see it. You'll be able to tell if the machine is being tampered with by looking at the serial on the machine and on the box. If the machine hasnt been dented or whatever then any ports that didn't work could be a defect from manufacture and apple will take care of that for you.

iLukeJoseph

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Unopened MBP on CL? What's the story? There is only one story I oiled believe (seller got a good deal on it, and is flipping it).

Other than that, be wary that is is stolen. OR, it has been rewrapped. When I worked retail back in the day, there was a couple of guys that could rewrap product and you could never tell it was opened.

Oh and something to keep in mind, if I was a legit seller. I wouldn't allow the buyer the open the box till the cash was in my hand (of course I would wait till he opened it after the fact).

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Unopened MBP on CL? What's the story? There is only one story I oiled believe (seller got a good deal on it, and is flipping it).

Other than that, be wary that is is stolen. OR, it has been rewrapped. When I worked retail back in the day, there was a couple of guys that could rewrap product and you could never tell it was opened.

Oh and something to keep in mind, if I was a legit seller. I wouldn't allow the buyer the open the box till the cash was in my hand (of course I would wait till he opened it after the fact).

Or it could have been a gift and the seller would rather sell it for cash then return it to the Apple (or where ever) for store credit.

Birdmagnus

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2012
Hmm i wonder, can you bring a table and two chairs and sit in front of a police station?

I think that would be a lot safer than having a few friends with you lol, not sure if you can do it though.

SavMBP15

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2010
1. Highly suspect that this is what he says it is.
a. It is either stolen
b. or it has been rewrapped and not what he claims it to be

Remember that the serial number in the OS can be spoofed. The biggest thing is what the system profiler says. I would also check the wireless, sound, usb ports as well.

2. Only meet in a crowded location, like a starbucks or something like that (with free wifi).

3. Get their 30 minutes early to make sure you are not being set up

4. Have your friend waiting nearby, watching you, with your money. Only when you call him over, should he come with the money.

5. If anything looks bad, terminate the transaction. DO NOT LEAVE the store right away. The seller will just rob you in the parking lot. Wait at least an hour.

If things feel really bad, you feel threatened just call the police.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Holy crap Sav are you kidding? This is not a big drug exchange with the mob, it's just a laptop.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff off CL. What I would do:

Ask, "Why is it unopened and being sold?" That's a fair question. Ask if he has a receipt. I bet he says no. In which case you will have to run the serial number. Tell him you want to buy but you need to check the serial number IN PERSON at an Apple store to ensure the warranty is valid. If it checks out then you will buy it for sure with cash.

Can you register at an Apple store? I don't know to be honest. But you can still lay the question on him to see how he reacts. Do you have a real phone number and name that checks out?

If he backs down in any way then the deal is wrong and you should walk away. Of course, then somebody else will get a sweet deal on a stolen laptop but at least your conscience will be clear.

xxcysxx

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
what does it mean when a mac laptop is stolen?
does apple backlist the serial number and refuse to offer warranty support for it or something?
they have so many macs, how do they know which one is stolen to backlist the serial number?

MaxPower72

macrumors 6502
does apple backlist the serial number and refuse to offer warranty support for it or something?
they have so many macs, how do they know which one is stolen to backlist the serial number?

A special team of Geniuses will come to your house in the middle of the night and you won't be seen or heard of again....

Tcache

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Holy crap Sav are you kidding? This is not a big drug exchange with the mob, it's just a laptop.

I have bought and sold a lot of stuff off CL. What I would do:

Ask, "Why is it unopened and being sold?" That's a fair question. Ask if he has a receipt. I bet he says no. In which case you will have to run the serial number. Tell him you want to buy but you need to check the serial number IN PERSON at an Apple store to ensure the warranty is valid. If it checks out then you will buy it for sure with cash.

Can you register at an Apple store? I don't know to be honest. But you can still lay the question on him to see how he reacts. Do you have a real phone number and name that checks out?

If he backs down in any way then the deal is wrong and you should walk away. Of course, then somebody else will get a sweet deal on a stolen laptop but at least your conscience will be clear.

a. It is either stolen

Remember that the serial number in the OS can be spoofed. The biggest thing is what the system profiler says. I would also check the wireless, sound, usb ports as well.

2. Only meet in a crowded location, like a starbucks or something like that (with free wifi).

4. Have your friend waiting nearby, watching you, with your money. Only when you call him over, should he come with the money.

5. If anything looks bad, terminate the transaction. DO NOT LEAVE the store right away. The seller will just rob you in the parking lot. Wait at least an hour.

I actually agree with Sav, granted this might not be a mob transaction you still need to be aware and have your street smarts ready. Anytime you go over the $100 via CL, you should always be cautious and I'm assuming this is well over $500+.

If you can, the best thing you can do is meet at an Apple store and make a genius bar appointment ahead of time. I've done this twice as a seller to make the buyer feel good about buying a Mac from me.

Good luck.

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
i paid for my rMBP on CL for only $2000. Did the transaction inside a Chase bank where video will be recorded and logged.

A lot of people get them as gifts and want to sell them. Or their workplace gave it to them. But you still have to use street smarts.

I am loving my rMBP.

Puevlo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2011

Apple won't do anything. They won't flag a product as stolen and they'll happily service it. Unless you steal it from an actual Retail Store that is.

ramram55

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
Testing should be done like DVD rom working, sign in to browse internet,
check the hard drive capacity match with the box description.
Serial numbers should match, just like VIN on car, make sure the serial numbers match on box, the lower lid and apple menu > about this mac > more info.
Lastly check your machine under bright in broad day light at a public place, if it is an honest seller things should go right.

rgr555

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
a. It is either stolen

lol what a girl

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.