Craked White iPhone..anyone else?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jsimpson, Jul 13, 2008.

1. jsimpson macrumors regular

jsimpson

I noticed yesterday that my White iPhone has 3 tiny tiny cracks in the case around the vibrate switch, volume key, and one on the top left corner. I felt the one on the top left corner Friday while trying to activate it but kind of blew it off because you couldn't really "see" it but as I have used it it seems the oil from my fingers has made them "show" up. The 2 around switches are tiny and i had to really get down and inspect to see them but they are there. I made a appt at the Genius bar tomorrow after work so we will what they do. Oh and for the record....the phone rocks, I love it! White is THE way to go IMO, awesome looking...even with small cracks!! :)

Anyone else seen this on theirs?

2. mustang_dvs macrumors 6502a

mustang_dvs

Are they visible in photos? If so, please post.

3. Waterpolo820 macrumors regular

no cracks on mine, you made me nervous for a second.

4. ScottSFA macrumors member

5. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Yesterday i saw a post similar to this. A cracked white one. He brought it back to Apple and they said he must have dropped it and there is nothing they can do about it. Not a good solution from Apple!!! Not sure if any other progress was made. If he went back and talked to anyone or made any phone calls.

6. billyripkin macrumors 6502

billyripkin

7. Churc22 macrumors member

Same here...

8. ikare macrumors member

I don't have any cracks on my white....I don't know how you do:confused:

9. jsimpson thread starter macrumors regular

jsimpson

Hard to get a clear close up shot but if you look close you can see the tiny line on the corner. The others are so tiny the camera won't pick them up so I didn't bother posting them.

Attached Files:

10. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

hope its not the same plastic that they made the white macbooks with, mine has various lines that appear to be crack around the exhaust ports, its only nearly 3 months old :eek:

11. toss002 macrumors regular

OUCH!!! Blurry but I could see it.

I really feel for you.:(

Return it.

12. Meow??? macrumors newbie

I've got two cracks in my white plastic as well. They're between the bezel and the SIM card slot. They're pretty small, like 1mm long, but once you notice them they're really annoying. Mine look exactly like the picture you posted. I'm gonna stop by the apple store to see if anything can be done. This really sucks especially since I had to line up twice at 4 in the morning to get my iPhone. Let me know if you get any progress at the apple store. When's your appointment?

13. peterhenley macrumors member

you shoulda got the black one
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

14. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

why?
    its the same material either way
    so that wouldnt make a diffrence

unless you mean theyre more visible on white?

15. jsimpson thread starter macrumors regular

jsimpson

My appt is at 6:45pm tomorrow evening. I have had issues with things before and they have been very nice and went the extra mile. I hope tomorrow is the same. I plan to take the box and everything else as well. I haven't even used the earbuds as i had some from my ipod I have been using. Hopefully I will leave without my blood pressure going through the roof. LOL

16. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

[​IMG] is your friend.

17. Meow??? macrumors newbie

So I stopped by the apple store today and they pretty much said they could switch it for me, I just needed a genius bar appointment, which I didn't have so they put me on stand-by. I didn't have time to wait so I made an appointment for tuesday. The only issue I have is that I bought it at att because I couldn't get it at an apple store, so they couldn't so a straight exchange. I'd have to go to an att store for that, which I might try to do, but it doesn't look like they'll have any stock. If you get any problems at the genius bar, I recommend saying that you just want to do an even exchange with the same model. They can't argue that since it's still within the return window, provided you got it at an apple store. Good luck and keep me posted!

18. jsimpson thread starter macrumors regular

jsimpson

Yeah I know, it was on Macro, I think it was dang white case casing the issue, the camera would not get a good focus close enough to see it clearly. Sorry for the poor pic but you all get the idea ;)

I do have an update, I called Applecare to kind of get ahead of things....I spoke with a lady that was extremely nice and she assigned me a case # and said it should be issue for me to get the phone exchanged. She even told me that if they did not want to exchange it for some reason to call Applecare back while in the store and they would make it happen. I also told her some others had mentioned they had cracked cases and she did not seem surprised. I guess you can read whatever you want into that. I will update everyone on what happens tomorrow evening.

19. jsimpson thread starter macrumors regular

jsimpson

Ok, I am back from the APple Store and the Genuis said he would repalce the phone. He said it was first one he had seen like that and of course he asked if I had dropped it.... I told him no and he looked it over pretty good and said the replacement should be here in hopefully 3 days. Thanks Apple!

20. harodude macrumors regular

years ago I used a white iBook and it showed signs of cracks so easily... Also, internally the case was just painted, so if it ever got scraped, then there would be a line that showed up

21. SqB macrumors 6502

Get a genius bar appointment and take it in. I just had the bezel and keyboard panel replaced on my 13 month old white macbook due to cracks where the case closed, near the palm rest area. They did it under warranty. It took a week, but my MB looks like new. No need to go around with a busted computer :)

22. Meow??? macrumors newbie

Cool sounds like they're taking pretty good care of the situation. I'm wondering though why didn't they replace it right away. Did they just not have any white iPhone's in stock?

23. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

I will do, its just I use the macbook regularly and the nearest Apple store is miles away so need to plan the visit :)