Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Every time i try and watch a youtube video safari crashes. When i try to watch something on VLC it crashes. when i try to watch a video podcast Guess what Itunes crashes. Right now safari is using 1400MB of RAM (yes it mad) with only this window open. the fans are on full speed and the laptop is starting to burn my legs. I was finishing an essay on iwork it crashed and i lost all my work. round about 6 pages of work. Oh also the most anoying thing is seeing that Beach Ball coming up every second. What should i do? if this caries on im going to have to switch back to the PC. Also this is the 5th time i have had to type this out bicause the other 4 times it crashed.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Reinstall OS X, and if it keeps up the crashing after that, take it to the genius bar. If a reinstall fixes it, it was a software problem. If it keeps up, it's a hardware problem (could be faulty ram or something).

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
Reinstall OS X, and if it keeps up the crashing after that, take it to the genius bar. If a reinstall fixes it, it was a software problem. If it keeps up, it's a hardware problem (could be faulty ram or something).

I dont think its the ram.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
have you tried a different browser?
and about iWork. save incrementally and you won't have to worry if it crashes :rolleyes:

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
I dont think its the ram.

what makes you so sure?

repair permissions and clear your cache if you haven't already.

have you installed any new software recently?

if those don't solve anything then reinstall OS X

macrumors member
Feb 3, 2007
I just reinstalled OS X, and it runs 1000x better. I love my macbook again, i was so close to selling it, but now ill be keeping it. Just try reinstalling OS X

Nicolasdec

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 7, 2006
São Paulo
what makes you so sure?

repair permissions and clear your cache if you haven't already.

have you installed any new software recently?

if those don't solve anything then reinstall OS X

Im allways installing news apps. how do i cleare the cache and repair the permissions?

skubish

macrumors 68030
Feb 2, 2005
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Every time i try and watch a youtube video safari crashes. When i try to watch something on VLC it crashes. when i try to watch a video podcast Guess what Itunes crashes. Right now safari is using 1400MB of RAM (yes it mad) with only this window open. the fans are on full speed and the laptop is starting to burn my legs. I was finishing an essay on iwork it crashed and i lost all my work. round about 6 pages of work. Oh also the most anoying thing is seeing that Beach Ball coming up every second. What should i do? if this caries on im going to have to switch back to the PC. Also this is the 5th time i have had to type this out bicause the other 4 times it crashed.

How long have you had the computer? If less than a year, just take it back to Apple.

chex

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
if its a software problem as i suspect they won't give you anything, they'll probably just reinstall OS X and send it back to you.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
do you think they will give me a core 2 duo?
On a first repair? No.

Regardless, no one is even sure what the problem actually is. I'd suggest backing up the machine and reinstalling OSX. That'll let you know whether it's a software problem or a hardware problem. Most likely, I'd think the reinstall would fix whatever glitch you've come across. If it doesn't, however, that's when you should call Apple.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
On a first repair? No.

Regardless, no one is even sure what the problem actually is. I'd suggest backing up the machine and reinstalling OSX. That'll let you know whether it's a software problem or a hardware problem. Most likely, I'd think the reinstall would fix whatever glitch you've come across. If it doesn't, however, that's when you should call Apple.

This not a very sound diagnostic methodology, starting with the most drastic solution. Yes, you can often discover what the problem actually is. It could be as simple as a directory error on the hard drive, in which case a good commercial disk utility would probably fix it. Then you know the source of the problem, and you've saved yourself a reinstall of OSX.

3nm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2006
take it to apple before the warranty expires.

for the record, vlc crashes on mine quite often as well. i think that's actually normal.

xfiftyfour

macrumors 68030
Apr 14, 2006
Clemson, SC
This not a very sound diagnostic methodology, starting with the most drastic solution. Yes, you can often discover what the problem actually is. It could be as simple as a directory error on the hard drive, in which case a good commercial disk utility would probably fix it. Then you know the source of the problem, and you've saved yourself a reinstall of OSX.
No, I know it shouldn't be the first thing you try, but considering the OP doesn't sound like a technician - nor am I - I tend to go to this to fix pesky software issues. To me, it's not that big of a deal if you properly back up, and it can save you a ton of diagnostic time.

elithrar

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2007
Whoops, haha, I'm too used to pressing Option as my PTT key in VoIP programs! I basically Cmd + S every paragraph, if not even more often, because any text-editor (whether an office suite/html editor/etc) shouldn't even lag for a second when saving.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
No, I know it shouldn't be the first thing you try, but considering the OP doesn't sound like a technician - nor am I - I tend to go to this to fix pesky software issues. To me, it's not that big of a deal if you properly back up, and it can save you a ton of diagnostic time.

Running a disk diagnostic application requires far less technical knowledge and far less time than successfully restoring a Mac after a clean install.

robertwhyte

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2007
Reinstalling latest acrobat prevents PDF crash

Safari 3 was crashing on my G4 laptop when attempting to view PDFs. I used appzapper to uninstall acrobat, then installed latest acrobat 8.1 (as of Thursday, 14 June 2007) quit safari and restarted safari -— now PDFs work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.