Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tivoli2

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
My own little world...
I'm sure there are experts who can give me a clue about this CRASH SCREENSHOT. What's it look like to you? Please explain but be gentle with the horrid news!

http://www.victrolux.com//images/nav/page_elements/page/posts/G5aCrash_080306/G5a-crash_screenshot.htm

Thanks

oof - that looks tough! I don't know what's going on with that, but I'd pull it and block out your IP and ethernet address in that screenshot... I don't know that you want that posted. Maybe it doesn't matter, (I'm not a big tech guy, or anything) but unscrupulous people seem to be able to do a lot with very little.

Outside of that, have you been able to reboot, or is your computer kaput?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
oof - that looks tough! I don't know what's going on with that, but I'd pull it and block out your IP and ethernet address in that screenshot... I don't know that you want that posted.

Nah - that IP address range is assigned for private IPs (192.168.xxx.xxx) - that is not a publicly reachable IP so have no fear!

cmturner2

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2008
Apex, NC
From some detailed study of the screenshot it appears that you will need to purchase yourself a fresh new Mac Pro!

So lucky, I always have to hunt for some unbelievable excuse to purchase new gear! :D

tivoli2

macrumors regular
May 29, 2007
My own little world...
Nah - that IP address range is assigned for private IPs (192.168.xxx.xxx) - that is not a publicly reachable IP so have no fear!

ok - I apologize for the false alarm. Thanks - that's good to know.

I'm still wondering if he was able to reboot from that...

the screensaver idea is pretty good.

rpaloalto

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
Palo Alto CA.
What were you doing before this crash, can you duplicate it?
Try to repair permisions and verify disk structer from install disk.
Try apple hardware test.

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
It is a form of kernel panic most probably pertaining to a hardware error however could just be a bad driver that cause it to flip out.

Run the hardware test on the install disks (hold down D on boot) and see if it reports anything.

Also check your logs for any further details as to what may have caused the error.

UltraNEO*

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2007
近畿日本
Unbelievable, I got this yesterday while trashing the trash.. :eek:
Lost a few hours of work! So annoying. :mad: My first! This year! Phew...

victrolux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
SOME BACKGROUND ON THE CRASH:

I had been having Display issues for about 2 weeks (dimmed top half of Cinema display). So I had been assuming that I needed new bulbs or a new inverter (power supply?). Fine. But then a day or 2 ago it began failing to boot... no chimes, a short amount of startup activity then blank display, no activity and 3 short flashes repeating of the LED on the monitor and box. The Apple store guy said that 3 short flashes could mean a memory issue. So I opened up the box, unseated and then firmly re-seated my memory sticks (BTW the mem is not new... and has been in there and stable for 3 years with no issues). And boom, it rebooted just fine! At that point I thought the problem was solved. But since then i still get occasional non-boots and then I got that (kernal panic?) message after unsleeping the computer. BTW it has subsequently restarted just fine.

Does anybody know if a failing cinema display can cause this issue or even damage the computer?

Thanks for your help!

~vi

xUKHCx

Administrator emeritus
Jan 15, 2006
The Kop
failing cinema display or failing graphics card ?

at this point i'd start looking at the graphics card as the potential source of the crashes.

Have you tried the hardware test?

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
Does anybody know if a failing cinema display can cause this issue or even damage the computer?

Failing display will/should not cause the computer to fail in the ways you describe. You definitely have a hardware issue - bad memory/board/cpu/gpu etc. anything is possible.

Have it checked by Apple or someone qualified.

bigbird

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2007
Canada
I've seen that error message before on an iMac G4. The problem was one of the two sticks of RAM was intermittently failing. Check your RAM with a thorough test.

bluedoggiant

macrumors 68030
Jul 13, 2007
MD & ATL,GA
Unbelievable, I got this yesterday while trashing the trash.. :eek:
Lost a few hours of work! So annoying. :mad: My first! This year! Phew...

Nothing scary, just a Kernel Panic, happens rarely, but it is known, the OP's problem seems extremely rare and serious, that kernal panic happens, its known, and is rare.

Reach

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Norway
hehe Haven't seen that in years.. Got some of those on the first OSX that came, on my G4.. When I say "of those", I just mean crash with text on the screen like that, no idea what's causing it..

Good luck! :)

benpatient

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2003
is there some reason that mac people like to call the motherboard a "logic board"?

nobody outside of apple-land calls them that...i think it confuses people, too, because they think you must be talking about something else...like some sort of mac-only daughter card that does mac-only things...

but it is just a motherboard. Since the switch to x86, it isn't even much of a custom one...

just curious...

victrolux

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Maybe your gfx card was fried and your screen was fine all along? Check the monitor with another computer if possible...

yeah I did a the extended HARDWARE TEST when I had it booted up one time. it said "no prob".

I also swapped displays with my other G5 and the screen looked normal. i even swapped video cards with the other G5 with the problem display connected and the display showed the same problem. so i concluded that it was the display having an issue and it was not the video card.

part of what's weird is that the apparent muthaboard issue came right on the heels of the apparent display issue. i dunno... maybe I should be grateful that I didn't go out and get the display repaired just in time for the muthaf*nboard to die. i suspect that, over time, the intermittent reboot issues with become less "inter" and more "mittent" until I have to turn my G5 into a litter box for kitty.

BTW I assume the cost of a muthaboard repair is barely worth it compared to a new IntelMacPro... and a sparkling new display... or at least not worth it compared to an adequate or refurbed slower equivalent late G5 or early IntelMac... right?

krye

macrumors 68000
Aug 21, 2007
USA
I'd at least try it with another monitor and see if you have the same results. That will rule out your Cinema Diaply. Most likely, it is your machine. Hopefully it is only the graphics card. You have maybe have the Apple guys try it with a new card to rule out the logicboard. What ever you do, for peace of mind at least, is find out if it is the logicboard or graphics card. You can live with a graphics card replacement, but replacing the logicborad w/o Apple care is pretty much like buying a new machine. Do you have Apple Care? Is it less then 1 year old?

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
is there some reason that mac people like to call the motherboard a "logic board"?

nobody outside of apple-land calls them that...i think it confuses people, too, because they think you must be talking about something else...like some sort of mac-only daughter card that does mac-only things...

but it is just a motherboard. Since the switch to x86, it isn't even much of a custom one...

just curious...

Because that's what Apple calls them :)

pastrychef

macrumors 601
Sep 15, 2006
New York City, NY

just curious...

As far as I know, Apple has always called them "main logic boards"... Personally, I consider them synonyms.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.