Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I have Jailbroken my touch and everything worked without crashing until I installed Summerboard. After that, it would randomly crash while playing music, watching video, whatever. So I went to uninstall Summerboard. My dock got locked up at the top.

As a result, I restored the iPod, re-jailbroke it (all on a Windows machine mind you) and re-installed all of the other applications, minus Summerboard. Everything runs just fine, no crashes.

I hope this helps narrow down what is plaguing you. My personal thought is that it is the alpha version of Summerboard.

Agreed. I'm putting my money on Summerboard. I uninstalled it and everything works great so far. No crashes or anything for anything. Theme might be gone but thats a small price to pay for it being stable.

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Agreed. I'm putting my money on Summerboard. I uninstalled it and everything works great so far. No crashes or anything for anything. Theme might be gone but thats a small price to pay for it being stable.

I just restored my iPod, in the process of putting the Applications back. I am straying away from SummerBoard for the moment and sticking with only Trip1Pogo and the other Applications. Let's see if this results in less crashes.

adamsweeting

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2007
The problem is if you have pogo and summerboard installed.

I had the same problem, now I'm just running summerboard and it's fine now.
Some people have said that just uninstalling pogo screws up your ipod so you have to restore. So I restored, re-jailbroke, and installed summerboard instead of pogo.

Chris F

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2007
If you are crashing constantly something is wrong, likely you either messed something up or a 3rd party application is behaving badly.

If you plan on running Summerboard only use the 1.1.1 alpha version.

Look at the RSS feed on touchdev.net for updated pages they often have incompatibility tips and stuff like that.

Since the 1.1.1 jailbreaks are still very fresh there are going to be alot of incompatibility problems. Best to jailbreak get yourself a known working basic configuration (say jailbreak + iPhone apps + installer.app + springboard mod) and run with that for a few days to ensure stability. Once you know its good then you at least can attribute instability to some 3rd party instead of your jailbreak/setup.

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
The problem is if you have pogo and summerboard installed.

I had the same problem, now I'm just running summerboard and it's fine now.
Some people have said that just uninstalling pogo screws up your ipod so you have to restore. So I restored, re-jailbroke, and installed summerboard instead of pogo.

That wasn't the problem. I had only SummerBoard (the one from the website) installed; I skipped Trip1Pogo during the manual jailbreak.

Anyways, I am now running Trip1Pogo instead of SummerBoard, and there are no crashes. So I guess SummerBoard is still too alpha.

bwanac

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2006
my problem proved to be the swedishviking hack to improve my app capacity. check out the post in there, about how it should be done on the touch to make it work correctly! :p

thesdx

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2007
Ever since I've installed Summerboard, Safari likes to crash ALOT. It seems to happen in bunches. Sometimes it never crashes, but other times it crashes 8 times in a row, all in a 1 minute period.

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
my problem proved to be the swedishviking hack to improve my app capacity. check out the post in there, about how it should be done on the touch to make it work correctly! :p

I never tried that hack, but this might be useful to some users out there.

Cache

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2007
No crashes whatsoever, used planetbeings 1-click touchfree program (the one without auto summerboard installment) like 5 days ago I think. Then I manually installed the alpha summerboard and haven't experienced any crashes or lockups. Well one time it reset, but that was because of TTR. :p

Weird so many people have problems, while some have none. :(

I'm not complaining though. :p

notation

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
Safari crashes constantly on me. I can't go 3 minutes without Safari crashing and closing. Also, when I'm playing music while web browsing, the first song that plays will always stop less than a minute later. If I try to restart the song by pressing the home button twice, Safari and the song will crash.

I've jailbroken my Touch using touchfree, and the only programs I've installed are the Calender fix and Community Sources, all through the Installer. I've tried restoring my Touch, but the same problems still occur.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, or if I should take my Touch in for a replacement.

On a related note I can't connect with my Touch, even after going through 4 different FTP programs. They all time out. I've made sure the IP address and user/pass are correct, but no luck.

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
Safari crashes constantly on me. I can't go 3 minutes without Safari crashing and closing. Also, when I'm playing music while web browsing, the first song that plays will always stop less than a minute later. If I try to restart the song by pressing the home button twice, Safari and the song will crash.

I've jailbroken my Touch using touchfree, and the only programs I've installed are the Calender fix and Community Sources, all through the Installer. I've tried restoring my Touch, but the same problems still occur.

I'm not sure if this is a common problem, or if I should take my Touch in for a replacement.

On a related note I can't connect with my Touch, even after going through 4 different FTP programs. They all time out. I've made sure the IP address and user/pass are correct, but no luck.

Which version of the touchFree program did you use? Version 5 installs SummerBoard automatically.

It would be hilarious to take your Touch in for a replacement though.
"Hi, I would like a replacement for my iPod Touch. I can't seem to hack it right."

notation

macrumors newbie
Apr 12, 2007
Which version of the touchFree program did you use? Version 5 installs SummerBoard automatically.

It would be hilarious to take your Touch in for a replacement though.
"Hi, I would like a replacement for my iPod Touch. I can't seem to hack it right."

I used ver 0.6. Looking at the page it says it installs an alpha version of Summerboard. Can I use Touchfree without installing Summerboard?

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I used ver 0.6. Looking at the page it says it installs an alpha version of Summerboard. Can I use Touchfree without installing Summerboard?

If you can get your hands on the older versions, they don't install SummerBoard. You can also just do a manual jailbreak, this way you can understand the steps better. The instructions are pretty easy to follow:
http://www.touchdev.net/wiki/Windows_jailbreak

ywc19

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2007
I have Jailbroken my touch and everything worked without crashing until I installed Summerboard. After that, it would randomly crash while playing music, watching video, whatever. So I went to uninstall Summerboard. My dock got locked up at the top.

As a result, I restored the iPod, re-jailbroke it (all on a Windows machine mind you) and re-installed all of the other applications, minus Summerboard. Everything runs just fine, no crashes.

I hope this helps narrow down what is plaguing you. My personal thought is that it is the alpha version of Summerboard.

Regarding my post #22, I did not install Summerboard, and after reading this, I won't.

dellavoce

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
I have a similar problem. A certain program will shut itself down repeatedly then go to a wake screen. Then fine. Its not bad enough yet to warrant doing anything but I feel better knowing I'm not the only one

sibilly

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/3A110a Safari/419.3)

I used the fully automatic jailbreak all you hafta do is reset a few times, i used windows,never crashed mine,try restoring n use that jailbreak, i think its called touchfree or jailfree,its super easy!!'

solyd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 15, 2007
I'm 99.9% sure that SummerBoard is causing all the crashes. I restored my iPod and am now using only Trip1Pogo, I am getting no crashes whatsoever. I do miss the eyecandy and some of the customization, but I'd rather wait for a more stable release than have my iPod crash all the time.

lordjonny

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2006
use ijailbreak its awesome and super easy as i have no crashes here just a quick tip though apparently the summerboard installer app isnt up to date and doesnt work so you have to manually install, there are guides somewhere, i fiddled with old and new summerboard components dodgy i know but now works amazingly, maps, mail, NES, notes the whole lot its AWESOME:D just follow guides for iphone apps etc that is the main source of crashes due to missing frameworks along with summerboard which once working is good but missing alot of the old feaures i noticed when it didnt work and but the dock at the top :S but...

NO CRASHES:D
GD nite
lordjonny:apple:

Aaleck

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2007
Michigan, USA
I'm 99.9% sure that SummerBoard is causing all the crashes. I restored my iPod and am now using only Trip1Pogo, I am getting no crashes whatsoever. I do miss the eyecandy and some of the customization, but I'd rather wait for a more stable release than have my iPod crash all the time.

Yep. Agreed.

querino

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2010
hi, mine crashes out all the time now since i updated 3.1
then i waited for 3.1.1 and thought this might sort the problem out, it did for about an hour now its doing the same thing, ive had it 8 months, well pissed with it...feel like chucking it on the floor and smashing it to pieces sometimes..it wont even reset, when i try to the apple pops up then just crashes out..grrrrr!!! **** pod!!

camaro3de

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2010
ipod touch shuts off

Hi I am not happy. I got my Ipod for xmas and everything was good. till two weeks ago when it started just shutting of with little lines as if a glitch. if i tried to search it would go off. so i reset, restored, etc and no luck. i never upgraded nor jailbreak. I wonder if it has something to do with an app cause battery is good and plenty of memory. I took it to apple they could not fix it so they replaced it. Then i tried to use backup and i have no saved games and its doing the same thing the last one did. even worse it wont even come on. What is going on? Could it be a bug from computer or app? maybe i shouldnt off restored apps from old one cause thats where the error may be.

Please help me!
My email chevy3de@yahoo.com

Sincerely,

Shannon

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.