Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Setting the scene:
I have an iPhone 4 (Verizon), iPad 2 (Wifi), and a 2011 15" MBP 2.0 i7.
I will be heading off to college in one month and I really don't use my iPad 2 that much. I am going to college on a full scholarship, and I have money to either keep it or my other idea... (more in a few seconds).

Degree: Computer Science (ENGINEERING)

I was thinking with the release of the new MBA, would an 11" very low end model be a good product to use as a second computer in college? Would I use it more than the iPad 2. If I sold the iPad, it would only be about $400 for the MBA and I feel that I would use it a little more than the iPad...? Again I have enough money to do this, but would it be worthwhile? Has anyone gone to college with 2 laptops like this?

I think I could use the Air while I don't need the power of the MBP and can jump back to the Pro when I need it? I don't really know, I was just thinking about it because I really truly don't need the iPad 2 and will probably sell it anyway.

So do you think I could use 2 laptops while at college more successfully than one computer? Thanks for the advice!

EDIT: I would also get the Apple Gift card, overall it would cost me about $500 and then I have the gift card, so $400.

Last edited:

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
If you like to have an Air and want to get rid of your iPad, you can just go ahead with selling your iPad and buying an Air. You can then use your MBP as if it were your desktop computer and carry your Air around if needed.

With two computers in college, you will have sufficient tools in pursuing your first degree. Later on, if you think that you do not need one of your computers, you can then sell it!

Wish you a great success in college!

Vantage Point

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2010
New Jersey
Why not sell the ipad and MBP and just get a 13" MA and an external monitor? I'm not a fan of 11" computers, I prefer 15" but with a 13" Air and an external you can have it all - lightweight, portable, reasonably powerful and a large monitor when you need it. Just a suggestion.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Why not sell the ipad and MBP and just get a 13" MA and an external monitor? I'm not a fan of 11" computers, I prefer 15" but with a 13" Air and an external you can have it all - lightweight, portable, reasonably powerful and a large monitor when you need it. Just a suggestion.

I don't think that would be my ideal situation... for several reasons... the only option other than just bring what I have now, is what I have said above... :\ Thanks for the idea though!

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Overall, I think the question you need to ask yourself is... why?

You have a 15" MBP... do you think you're going to find it too bulky to carry and use in class?

If no, then you don't need a second laptop.

If yes, then what is your justification for having the 15" MBP?

You need the power? For what? I'm in Bioinformatics, so I think I can speak towards Computer Science needs, but if I need any REAL heavy-lifting done... I use the servers in my department, or I use the cluster that I have available to me at work.

Maybe you're doing a Film/TV/Media degree... okay, I can understand your need/want for extra power, but again... wouldn't most of the REAL heavy lifting again be done by workstations in your computer lab?

Any other degree, I don't think you need that kind of power to get through 4 years of college.

Maybe you like to game? I guess...

This is just my opinion, but I think you purchased your current setup without thinking ahead to what you might actually NEED.

If both portability and power are what you need, then you're probably good with what you have. That said, if you really need to be more portable but still wanted some power for gaming or the occasional CPU-intensive project, then I might have gone for something like an iMac and a refreshed Macbook Air.

Bottom line, IMO... I think two laptops is a very strange setup.

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
A Laptop + iPad combination is more complimentary than a pair of Laptops. I would be leaning toward selling the MBP and getting an Air to complement my iPad.

Yes, anything that can be done on the iPad and much more can be done on a laptop, but some things are just better on a tablet. Of course that is a matter of personal preference. I don't like reading on any computer, but I do like it on the iPad, and I like it even more on a Kindle (for non text/tech books). Maybe you like reading on the computer. Reading is going to be a big part of your life for the next few years.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
A Laptop + iPad combination is more complimentary than a pair of Laptops. I would be leaning toward selling the MBP and getting an Air to complement my iPad.

Yes, anything that can be done on the iPad and much more can be done on a laptop, but some things are just better on a tablet. Of course that is a matter of personal preference. I don't like reading on any computer, but I do like it on the iPad, and I like it even more on a Kindle (for non text/tech books). Maybe you like reading on the computer. Reading is going to be a big part of your life for the next few years.

I would say I don't have a particular preference towards reading on an iPad versus a laptop.

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
Would you keep the iPad around for fun or sell it for a rainy day?

Computer Science ,ENG
That's entirely up to you. :)

I do know that if you don't feel like you need the iPad to get by, you could either save for a rainy day... or pay for some really nice upgrades/accessories your 15" MBP.

- SSD
- more RAM (you didn't say if you had maxed your MBP out already)
- external monitor (for watching movies and gaming)
- Optibay + 1TB drive

All of that is probably do-able with the proceeds from selling your iPad. Might even have enough left over for some nice headphones.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
That's entirely up to you. :)

I do know that if you don't feel like you need the iPad to get by, you could either save for a rainy day... or pay for some really nice upgrades/accessories your 15" MBP.

- SSD
- more RAM (you didn't say if you had maxed your MBP out already)
- external monitor (for watching movies and gaming)
- Optibay + 1TB drive

All of that is probably do-able with the proceeds from selling your iPad. Might even have enough left over for some nice headphones.

RAM is upgraded to 8GB... And I'm not convinced that I need a SSD/ or optibay.. I will be buying a tv (or my roomie) for movies/tv/xbox/etc...

stonyc

macrumors 65816
Feb 15, 2005
Michigan
RAM is upgraded to 8GB... And I'm not convinced that I need a SSD/ or optibay.. I will be buying a tv (or my roomie) for movies/tv/xbox/etc...
~$500+ can buy plenty of EtOH.

DISCLAIMER: The above statement was a statement of fact. The poster does not condone the consumption or purchase of alcohol by minors and accepts no responsibility for any acts by third-parties subsequent to the reading of this post.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
~$500+ can buy plenty of EtOH.

DISCLAIMER: The above statement was a statement of fact. The poster does not condone the consumption or purchase of alcohol by minors and accepts no responsibility for any acts by third-parties subsequent to the reading of this post.

I said money wasn't that big of a deal.. so is there anything that would be 'beneficial' to purchase? i.e. MBA, SSD, something else?

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I had an iPad my first semester and got my Macbook at the end of the same.
Ultimately I ended up selling the iPad; it was great for what it did but I just felt better while using an actual computer. You can get more done (you can actually "do" things with the computer) and the MBP/MBA isn't far behind in terms of portability.

I just sold my MB and will hopefully get a MBA tomorrow; I think a 15 inch MBP to use at home with an 11 inch to use when out in class would be great.

Epic Xbox Revie

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I just sold my MB and will hopefully get a MBA tomorrow; I think a 15 inch MBP to use at home with an 11 inch to use when out in class would be great.

My thoughts, except I'm living in a dorm less than 5 blocks from all of my classes, and less than a mile from everything on campus.. Hmmmm

I don't know if I would use them both!

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
My thoughts, except I'm living in a dorm less than 5 blocks from all of my classes, and less than a mile from everything on campus.. Hmmmm

I don't know if I would use them both!

Oh so you don't mind carrying your 15 inch with you? Of course if that's the case, I don't see why you would need to sell the iPad and get a MBA. I don't really like carrying a heavy bag; last semester I had the ~5lb MB, the charger, and a whole bunch of folders/text books that I had to carry with me during the day. I also didn't like taking that with me down the street to the coffee shop and having to walk back late at night with that on my back.

If you can manage with what you have, keep it or sell the iPad to fund for future things. I myself couldn't find a real use for the iPad and ended up selling it.

I mean, ultimately it's answerable to you only. You know how much you like to carry and what you can do with the iPad. I think a better question for you to ask is, what all can the MBA do better than the iPad?

You asked if it would be a good second machine, and ultimately that depends on what you're going to use it for and the situations you're in. I think we can only suggest how it performs and you'd have to decide what you want. We can't really help you in that department.

T-bag

Jan 20, 2011
I'm in a similar situation. I got myself the 17" MBP back in february, and loved having it for my bachelor degree thesis in engineering. I needed a portable computer to bring to different locations, and the big highres screen made my life easier in Autocad/Revit, to say the least. I also do some photo editing and plan to dig into video soon. Back then it was the mac best suited for me.

I thought I wanted to finish my education with a masters degree in engineering. I changed my mind and now I'm heading for a innovation/technology management degree. Bottom line, I wont do a lot of demanding tasks away from home for a while.

And since I'm going abroad to study after christmas, I figured a MBA would be the ideal choice for me. Ordered one today actually. I might be selling my MBP, mostly because it feels right only having one laptop. But I haven't decided on that yet. Considering my current needs, the MBA will probably take the role as my main computer, while the MBP should be sold so I can get an iMac for my desk when I need more juice.

If I was you, I would just get the Air and use it for a while. You can always change your mind and sell it later. Macs are usually easy to resell. Maybe the MBP + 11" MBA combo is the best bet for you? I suggest making a list describing your needs from a computer, considering all options and so on. And regarding the iPad - it seems that you (like me) can't get much use out of it. I'd sell it.

Edited

Last edited:

THX1139

macrumors 68000
Mar 4, 2006
When you are on campus, lugging around books and other crap, you'll love the idea of pulling out the iPad between classes. Go to a campus commons area, find a quite spot to study or watch videos on your iPad. You could do it on a laptop, but that just adds extra weight to carry around. You can also use your iPad during lectures to type notes silently without taking up all your desktop space. It's also faster and easier to take it in and out of your backpack in large lecture halls. It's a great companion to having a laptop or desktop back in your dorm room where you get the bulk of your homework done.

Johnny Who

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2011
When you are on campus, lugging around books and other crap, you'll love the idea of pulling out the iPad between classes. Go to a campus commons area, find a quite spot to study or watch videos on your iPad. You could do it on a laptop, but that just adds extra weight to carry around. You can also use your iPad during lectures to type notes silently without taking up all your desktop space. It's also faster and easier to take it in and out of your backpack in large lecture halls. It's a great companion to having a laptop or desktop back in your dorm room where you get the bulk of your homework done.

I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree. Taking notes on an iPad is just not feasible unless you have a real keyboard.

I don't see how so many people have an issue with carrying around a laptop. I could understand for a 17", but the 15" is fine, really. All this talk about extra-portability is nonsense, you're at the prime age of your life and you can't handle and extra kilo or two on your back ? Seriously ?

My 2 cents is that your current configuration is fine: I just don't see how having a MBA is going to make your life better at this point. Have your MBP for notes etc and just grab your synched iPad for when all you have to do is reading.

Paulywauly

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2009
Durham, UK
To The OP,

what are you going to be using your MBP for? What are your needs exactly? We can talk all day about what would suit us, but everyones needs are different and it would be helpful if you could give us an insight into how you plan to use whatever device you plan on using?

Personally, if it was me and i didnt use the iPad i'd use the money i got from its sale to soup up my MBP, more RAM, SSD. and usablilty items such as: an external monitor, a good laptop bag, external backup drive, possibly a tv tuner, a stand and speakers for the dorm room :D

gmans46

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
yea I'm going to college this fall, i got an iPad the day it came out and my mbp about a month ago i just don't use the iPad currently and I'm hoping that will change, but as of now I'm thinking I'm gonna sell it.

Young Spade

macrumors 68020
Mar 31, 2011
Tallahassee, Florida
I'm sorry but I have to strongly disagree. Taking notes on an iPad is just not feasible unless you have a real keyboard.

I don't see how so many people have an issue with carrying around a laptop. I could understand for a 17", but the 15" is fine, really. All this talk about extra-portability is nonsense, you're at the prime age of your life and you can't handle and extra kilo or two on your back ? Seriously ?

My 2 cents is that your current configuration is fine: I just don't see how having a MBA is going to make your life better at this point. Have your MBP for notes etc and just grab your synched iPad for when all you have to do is reading.

^This. I got into all of the hype and really thought about getting the new MBA 13 inch. With it being 1250 with education pricing as opposed to 1090 of the MBP (which is upgradable), I realized that it's only ______ thinner and overall, is weaker in the spec department.

Whenever I end up getting the money, I'll probably go for the 13 inch Pro. Maybe.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.