Crazy to pay Verizon non-contract iPhone price?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fotomatt1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. fotomatt1 macrumors regular

I'm a current Verizon customer. I switched from AT&T and an iPhone 3gs back in June because I couldn't take the dropped calls on AT&T any longer. I'm now not eligible for an iPhone at the promotional price until 7/21/2011. I really do miss my iPhone compared to Android, and really don't want to wait until July. Am I crazy to spedn $700 on a phone?

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Yes.

3. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

If you have the money, no. If you don't have the money, yes. It's as simple as that.

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I wouldn't pay the non-contract price for the iPhone or any other high-end phone.

5. lolvera007 macrumors newbie

Why don't you just open a new line (new iPhone) and cancel your current line? Probably will be cheaper then buying one off contract.

6. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Seriously. Do you have $700 to blow? Do you have kids to worry about? If your answers were yes and no, I'd say go for it.
    +1

7. doboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

I would wait til July in case Apple releases iPhone 5 with both GSM/CDMA. You can then get the iPhone 5 at discounted price.

8. AlphaDogg macrumors 68040

AlphaDogg

You should just wait until July when the next iPhone comes out. You aren't eligible for an upgrade until then, anyway... Why not just stick with your current phone until the upgrade date? Then when you are eligible for an upgrade, you can just get the next generation...

9. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Verizon won't let you do that.

10. fotomatt1 thread starter macrumors regular

I do have the money to spend..sold a bunch of stuff on ebay and have the $ in my paypal account. Plus you can always sell iPhones at a high price. 3gs's still going for $350 on ebay. If I buy off contract, I don't have to extend and when the next gen comes out, I'll easily be able to sell the iPhone 4 for a hefty price.

Also, I don't have kids to take care of, so I'm not spending my kid's college fund!:)

11. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

There is nothing they can do to stop him. He would basically cancel his current contract, pay ETF. And then open a new contract, which would let him get a subsidized iPhone. The money he can get for eBay'ing his old phone may even cover the ETF.

12. THE dAY macrumors 6502

This is a very good point, by buying the iPhone 4 w/o contract you can then get the next iteration of iPhone with contract price and sell the iPhone 4.

This can be a good plan just in case Verizon too has dibs on this summer's new iPhone.

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I paid full price for my i4 when it came out.
    Sold my 3GS on ebay and only end up paying $250 out of pocket and Im eligable for an upgrade in March of 2011.

14. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

Like I said, they won't let you do that so you can get a new phone at a subsidized price.

Call or try it and find out for yourself.

I'm 99% sure there is a 60/90 day window you have to wait.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think that's true also.
    You will have to either wait or open another account under someone elses name.

16. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yes, crazy, but you can always sell your current phone to offset the charge.

17. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

I have done it. You open a second contract, and then cancel the original one. Do these two things independently of one another. The only thing they CAN do is charge you ETF for the contract you will cancel.

18. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good idea, didnt think of that.
    So it worked for you in the past?

19. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You will stay pay the ETF which will bring the cost of the actual iPhone closer to the retail full price.... plus activation fee, plus other fees for a new line.... upfront for the device it seems lower, but as time goes...

good solution tho.

20. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Yes, although to be fair not with Verizon (never been their customer). But there is nothing they can do to stop this. Some people have multiple phones / multiple contracts - there is nothing illegal or unusual about that.

Yes, that's why you need to do the cost analysis whether subsidized cost + ETF is less than retail price (in just about all cases it is). The activation fees - you'd have to pay regardless of whether you buy an iPhone contract-free or subsidized.

21. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    Even though its doable the amount of effort you got put into it and most likely losing your phone number and getting a new one in the process is not worth the small amount of money you will save.
    Mind as well get one full price and save your upgrade for later.

22. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

Or just never get under contract. These days, I just use GSM iPhone 4 with iPad $25/month data-only plan. VoIP for phone calls. None of this contract nonsense, and savings of $55/month over your typical iPhone voice+data plan :D

23. alectheking macrumors 6502a

Yupp! Called yesterday to verizon since I'm a customer. It's a 90 day window. They don't even let you pay your ETF and keep your same number. If you pay the ETF it will automatically cancel your actual phone number, no ifs ands or buts. If you open a new contract within 90 days it will automatically re open the last line and credit you the ETF you paid. Trust me I called twice just to make sure. The only way to do that is if your on a family plan and have room for 1 more line, then you open it using an existing equipment and take the upgrade from that line, which is what they keep reccomending. but then that lines on contract to. I'm not sure what the ETF for the 2nd line is because idk if they consider it a smart phone or dumb phone contract.

24. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True, that's also a good approach.

The ETF on the 2nd line you open to get the iphone will be obviously the smartphone price since that's what you're getting with that line.
    Transfering it to the other phone number doesnt change the contract terms.

25. Hellishness macrumors 65816

Hellishness

Go for it.