Creaking hinge is 'Within Specification'?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by TheBritishBloke, Jun 28, 2010.

1. TheBritishBloke macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Spoke to someone in Apple CR.. They're convinced that a very creaky hinge is within specification? Surely if an issue isn't widespread, it's not acceptable and should be fixed...

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It was not on the MBAir, it was finally determined to be an issue because over time the lid would open further and further back. I'd press on about it if I were you.
    Creaking hinges usually mean something is too tight and bound to break. Get your calls and visits in now to document the issue in hopes they can't equate it to abuse.

3. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Shall I mention this is my 4th display with a problem in under 6 months.

4. Dooger macrumors 6502

I'd keep that bit quiet. They'll tag you as either an OCD PITA or incredibly unlucky. Neither of these conditions are much use when dealing with tech support.

5. NStocks macrumors 65816

I had the same issues on my old 2009 15" Unibody. I sent it in and they gave me a screen assembly which didn't fix the problem. Moreover, the screen came back slightly crooked and there were scratches all over the casing... Lucky for me Apple replaced it...

I wouldn't settle for it though. Although when I had the issue it was intermittent, it still annoyed me a lot and I thought to myself “I’m dealing with a solid computer here and a company that puts itself above the rest when it comes to quality..."

Send it in if it bothers you...

Oh I heard from the Service provider that it's caused when the factory tighten the screws too much!

6. chrisbb macrumors member

I had the same problem on my macbook (first gen Al).
    The screen lost all "normal colours", and I was left with a pink and green screen.

I took it in and then replaced the screen 11 months out of the 12 months warranty :)

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Why is it your 4th display problem? If it was more than dead pixels or anything that is "hyped" then yes. If not, then keep your OCD to yourself. :D

8. grubworth macrumors member

I fixed my incredibly loose, creaky hinge (to a point the plastic was snapping) by simply removing the back casing, removing the plastic covering the hinge, and tightening any loose screws (which may have loosened over time..) with a T6 Torx Screwdriver. It's like new again! a real simple fix.

9. NStocks macrumors 65816

Do you think Apple do this? It's always pondered upon my mind when I'm calling AppleCare what exactly they are reading on the screen (case notes).

10. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

For those saying that I'm OCD:

First display was creaky when I purchased the unit last august, I didn't have time to get it fixed.
    2nd display had a faulty hinge, which meant the display couldn't open.
    3rd Display had a dead pixel in the centre of the screen, and when it arrived to me had a dent in it.
    4th display (this one) has a very creaky hinge.

Just to show i'm not being OCD. I'm just an unlucky bastard.

I've also had:
    1 x Top Case (Palm rest, trackpad, speakers, keyboard)
    1 x Trackpad alone
    1 x Hardrive

11. jolawson macrumors member

With the MBP in my sig, I have a slight creak when opening or closing. It bothers me little to none at all. I have the 3 yr apple care plan anyway, so I'm not worried.

12. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

Mine's not slight though, it was to begin with, but it's just continually getting louder and louder :/

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...with any luck they might replace it after a few more tries...

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

something is wayy to tight, call CR and press for replacement if you have had it in for repair 4 times already.

15. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I asked for a replacement on my 3rd repair and they said a firm No. I have them phoning me back before end of business tomorrow, so I'll see what they say, but I won't accept anything lower than a replacement, as my product just appears to be a lemon :/

16. NStocks macrumors 65816

:eek::eek::eek: . You are going through a similar process that I went through! My 2009 17" had heat issues after repairs the issues still occured. (My thread was "My Macbook Pro reaches 106C!" , 9 pages long!)

I sent my Mac in 6 weeks today. 8 days ago I sent it back to Apple after they agreed to replace it with the latest model. I have called customer relations numerous times and all they are telling me is that “There is a delay”

I've been given a Customer Relations/Replacement’s representatives email and I was told that she is dealing with the replacement ( already had 2 Customer relations Rep's that aren't doing anything, not responding to emails etc.) Applecare told me (on Friday when I rung up again) that I should email the new rep for an update... I also asked about compensation and they said “For sure they can do something, just let Lisa (the rep) know about your frustration"

Well I emailed her on friday afternoon but I've not heared anything back yet. If I don't get a response tomorrow I will DEMAND a full refund.

6 weeks without a Mac is ridiculous. 10 days for a replacement is equally ridiculous, even if it is coming from China. I was told I should have a replacement 3 days after sending my Mac back. No avail. Then I was told I will have it by last Friday, no avail!

17. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

@NStocks I think I remember your thread...
    Another thing is, I asked for compensation ages ago, was told I'd get something, then they said "Oh no, we changed our minds you aren't getting anything"

Guess I'll have to wait for this phone call..

18. NStocks macrumors 65816

Apple are becoming quite rude lately :mad:

10 days ago prior to me shipping the messed up unit, I asked the CR Rep for an Apple Wireless keyboard as a gesture for the past 4 weeks. He replied “I can't really do that, I'm already giving you a new Mac and they won't let me send anything else".

That's fine, I know that a new unit is brilliant, but they only offered me it because the service providers are s**t and there wasn't anything else they could do to fix the issues. It's not as if Apple have given me a replacement as a gesture, but rather because that's the only viable option. Besides, it they didn't offer a replacement by this week, they are breaking the UK Sale Law. The Sales of Goods Act states that if a resolution is not made within 6 weeks, the company must replace the item.

I could even take them to court as its surpassed 6 weeks anyway. I had a 'dream' yesterday about asking for a 24" Cinema Display and they gave me it :p

I see that you too are in the UK. If it get's to week 6 and it's still broke, look up the sales of goods Act.

19. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I'm in the UK too (didn't my name point it out? ;)

Where does the Sales of Goods act state this? I've never seen it, I just know the supply of goods and services act 1982 says that it should be completed within 'a reasonable time'.

20. Norrsund macrumors newbie

Apple generally considers a creaking hinge to be within spec. You are lucky you got the previous ones replaced at all.

21. NStocks macrumors 65816

My mistake, it could be the supply of goods and services act...

You say your Mac is less than 6 months old? If so, the same legislation states that the seller has to prove that the item was not faulty when sold. 6 months is considered a time in which defects occur, hence why the company (Apple) need to prove there wasn't already a fault that has simply developed.

Anyway, I'm probably not the right guy to be speaking about legislation etc. so far I've not needed to use it... But seriously Apple, hurry up with my replacement!

22. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

23. TheBritishBloke thread starter macrumors 68030

TheBritishBloke

I don't want to be touching my Mac when I don't need to. And I don't see how a creaking hinge can be considered normal, I've never owned a laptop from new which has a creaking hinge.

I have had my Mac since end of July 2009.

24. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

creakiness tends to happen anytime you have metal on metal in tight tolerances. Normal solution is provide a little lubrication of some type. A lot of laptops have platic covers and plastic on plastic does not tend to creak but even then I can make it my laptop creak a little with a little pressure.

In your case it could easily be in Specification and you are being OCD about it. I would say a simple solution is put a type of dry lubricate on it. Graphic happens to be a good one. There are many silicon based ones out there that are very good as well.

You put it on and that little lubricate removes the creakiness. You do not have to take it apart to apply it.

25. drambuie macrumors 6502a

Graphite is conductive, and loose powder could cause shorts or leakage between the extremely close circuit board traces. A silicone lubricant would be more appropriate.