iPhone X Creaking iPhone X

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by serialtoon, Nov 11, 2017.

1. serialtoon macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

anyone have a slight creaking sound when flexing the iPhone X a tiny bit? If you hold it landscape and gently twist I get a creaking sound in my unit. If I hold it horizontally and press in the upper left side (screen facing you) I get a creaking sound as well. Anyone else?

2. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

No. Probably because I’m not twisting my $1,150 phone.

3. ejfontenot macrumors 6502

ejfontenot

4. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Why would you even twist it lol.

5. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I haven’t been twisting mine, but did notice a slight creak when I had squeezed the sides of it while holding it in my hand. I can squeeze the sides, then slightly squeeze the front and back and get the creak. Honestly, I had the same thing with my 6s and it was a non-issue, so I’m treating this the exact same way.

6. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

My 7+ Creaked and made sounds when I was holding it sometimes. Told Apple, they said it was within the boundaries of normal, and would not replace my unit. They would replace my screen. Tried that, still creaky, and there was adhesive seeping out.

I then emailed Tim Cook with a video of the noise, and pics of the glue. I got a call from executive team and they had already reserved my walk-in replacement at the local store.

7. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

I’m not intentionally twisting it. I discovered it when I was taking to someone on the phone and noticed it creak. So I then proceeded to inspect it and that’s when I slightly flexed it. Don’t be such fanboys everyone. I’m asking a simple question if not so I can exchange it. Thanks

8. rkoshack macrumors regular

9. reyalP macrumors 6502

reyalP

I remember this whole debacle with the iPhone 7 Plus. I remember the fix was to tighten the screws at the lightning port. Did not work for me as I had to loosen my screws to get the creaking to stop.

10. jgelin macrumors 6502a

jgelin

Everyone told me the same thing “don’t twist it” that’s not the point of the matter. There’s something wrong with the enclosure that is allowing movement. On a “water resistant” device that is not cool.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

What you might be hearing with the flexing is something is not fully seated with the display And the adhesive, causing the creaking. If you're noticing it before you started twisting it, then it shouldn't be doing it.

12. Another Day macrumors regular

No creaking with my X, my 7+ had a creak though.

13. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Definitely. I started to notice it when i was on a call and in quiet rooms when i press the power button i hold the phone a certain way which causes me to put pressure on the top left of the phone and subsequently hear the creak.

14. macher macrumors 65816

macher

Wow shouldn’t be. I would bring it in to the Genius Bar

15. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Yea that was going to be my last resort because trying to explain this to a genius bar employee will be...interesting to say the least. I might just return and wait for them to come back into stock via walk ins. Thanks everyone.

16. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

17. appleincognito macrumors regular

For what it’s worth, this happened with my iPhone 7. Almost like a popping sound every time. My iPhone X does NOT do this and is rock solid with zero flex. However there is dust under the camera so I am returning it anyway.

18. DDustiNN macrumors 68000

DDustiNN

Why would you do that? Don’t do that.

Watch here at the 6:00 mark to see what you’re probably hearing:

19. camhabib macrumors regular

Read another post on this, and my first phone (returned because it was DOA) did this to a minor extent. New one is solid though. Don’t think it’s really a huge problem, probably just not quite enough adhesive holding the battery down or something, the phone itself is shut using screws.

20. chadmclark macrumors member

chadmclark

I hear a little when putting the case on or off. Also, if I press on the center back it creaks a bit (I suspect it’s the charging coil behind the glass).

I went through this crap with many 7’s and eventually gave up playing the return lottery; usually you end up with something far worse, like the X’s with the green line on the screen, ugh!

21. Zune55 macrumors 6502a

Zune55

That’s what happened to the people when they pay thousand dollars for the phone.

22. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Then you didn't read the post further down, because the OP stated they were not bending it to look for the issue, they located the concern when they were talking on the phone, which lead the OP to inspect it further. That's not something somebody should notice when you're simply just talking on the phone, there's something more going on here in all likeliness.

23. serialtoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

serialtoon

Hey everyone, thanks for the responses. I decided im going to return the device and wait for the availability to be better.

24. Jmausmuc macrumors 6502a

Jmausmuc

Same issue. Genius gave me two replacement phones, same issue on both. Very annoying for the price.

Has anyone fixed this by tightening the screws?