Creative Professionals and Snow Leopard - will you be upgrading?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by UltraNEO*, Aug 24, 2009.

?

Creative Professionals, are you worried about upgrading to SL?

  1. Yes.. I'm gonna hold of for now.

    22 vote(s)
    28.9%
  2. Yes.. Still upgrading

    15 vote(s)
    19.7%
  3. No.. Not worried, Apple knows what they're doing.

    27 vote(s)
    35.5%
  4. No.. Not Upgrading.

    6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  5. Errr... What you on about?

    6 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #1
    I know hundreds of users on those forums are looking forward to the forthcoming release of Snow Leopard but how many professional users here will actually be upgrading? Even though they have after-market hardware and peripherals attached.

    ..ain't you worried the upgrade will cause more problems to your work flow than actual good?

    [​IMG]

    Umm.. I am. Cause as usual, I know DigiDesign's ProTools will break, CoreAudio application is already unstable.
    I hate to see what will happen under SL. My internal Raid solution might encounter driver issues
    and I'm not sure about various other peripherals.

    How about you???
     
  2. inigel macrumors regular

    inigel

    Joined:
    Mar 14, 2008
    Location:
    Australia
    #2
    Already pre-ordered it. Although I might wait a week or two until I actually install it cause I am working on a project at the moment.
     
  3. benborman macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    #3
    I pre-ordered SL today, but I will wait awhile before installing it on my main computer (Mac Pro) because I, too, am in the middle of projects.

    I also have an Up-to-date disc coming for my fiancee's 13" MBP; I will install it on that machine right away, just to satisfy my curiosity/excitement.
     
  4. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

    irishgrizzly

    Joined:
    May 15, 2006
    #4
    I'll install it at home, at in work we're still using Tiger – we never had a compelling reason to switch 10.5.
     
  5. Tesselator macrumors 601

    Tesselator

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2008
    Location:
    Japan
    #5
    It's just a slimmed down (not UB) version of 10.5.8 with a few new features and two new frameworks. Upgrading will be as seamless and trouble-free as from 10.5.5 or something to 10.5.8. Not sweating anything here. It's all good.

    OS X is not Windows so new versions are NOT radical departures into the realms of incompatibility like MS OS's are.
     
  6. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

    AdeFowler

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2004
    Location:
    England
    #6
    Sadly it won't work on my beloved G5, so the answer's No (or can't) :eek:

    However, I never update my main machine (even point updates) until a) I'm sure that all my software's compatible, and b) I've got time in my schedule to troubleshoot problems.
     
  7. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

    Boneheadxan

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2009
    #7
    Hopefully this is true and there are no compatibility issues.

    But DigiDesign will definitely break and then take 1 year to upgrade.
    I hope none of my 3rd part VST's and synth softwares break :(
    I will still hold back a month, before the upgrade, for audio atleast.

    I waited a year to jump to Leopard, until all companies supported it :confused:
     
  8. sochet macrumors regular

    sochet

    Joined:
    Nov 1, 2006
    #8
    Core Audio for me has never been unstable.

    Pro tools is absolutely bunk, a lot of larger studios (at least in London) are slowly moving over to Logic.

    I'm sure Logic 9 will work fine with SL, 99% of my third party apps and plugins worked fine with Leopard when I first upgraded (granted this was 10.5.2 but I hadn't upgraded my plugins and apps before that)

    I'm buying a new hd to act as a boot drive and using my one currently as a audio scratch drive. I'll put SL on the new one and transfer the files. If it works, I'll wipe my current one, if not then I'll just wait till it is.
     
  9. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #9
    Given audio use, have you considered going to SSD for random access throughput?
     
  10. giltnerj0 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2009
    #10
    I'll be upgrading Friday

    on my Mac I use for development and Photoshop work that the wife wants me to help with. Will see how it goes before I upgrade wifes Mac.
     
  11. Cynicalone macrumors 68040

    Cynicalone

    Joined:
    Jul 9, 2008
    Location:
    Okie land
    #11
    I don't know yet. I usually wait a while and see what problems start appearing online. I'm hoping that since this is just a better version of Leopard, that everything that works in Leopard will work in Snow Leopard.
     
  12. iBeard macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 4, 2005
    #12
    I've been told to NOT upgrade to SL if you are running FCP7.

    I don't know about older versions (I run 6), but I'm not chancing it. I will stay w/ Leopard until I get the all clear.
     
  13. Boneheadxan macrumors regular

    Boneheadxan

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2009
    #13
    Logic 9 will definitely run :cool:
    Yeah, most studios in UK are running Logic now. I just wish Logic could be slaved to Ableton Live.

    Would be interesting to see CPU usage differences in Logic with SL.

    I hope Ableton doesn't break under SL. :(
     
  14. FSMBP macrumors 68020

    FSMBP

    Joined:
    Jan 22, 2009
    #14
    Where did you hear that?

    If anything, I'd expect Apple's FCS3 suite to work flawlessly since it was released a month ago (aka, I'm sure Apple had Snow Leopard in mind while making it, minus the 64 Bit code)
     
  15. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2008
    Location:
    Thule GL @ the TOW
    #15
    ...I'll upgrade my whitebook and check it out, then go my iMac if I like it...
     
  16. brock2621 macrumors 6502a

    brock2621

    Joined:
    Jun 8, 2007
    Location:
    Kentucky
    #16
    Ordered it yesterday but definitely going to have to wait for a month or 2... in the middle of editing a film...
     
  17. UltraNEO* thread starter macrumors 601

    UltraNEO*

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2007
    Location:
    近畿日本
    #17
    I'm not using FCP but I am using PP CS4 and i'm thinking it'll break!!
     
  18. kxfrog macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2009
    Location:
    UK
    #18
    I'm got 2 copies of SL on preorder one for my mac pro and one for my macbook still deciding if to upgrade from tiger on my imac. Just hope cs4 and all my projects are safe, and please let FCP7 work!
     
  19. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

    Sean Dempsey

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2006
    #19
    Graphic Design and Web Pro here.


    Quad 2.66 2006 Mac Pro (THE ORIGINAL!!!!!!!)


    I will be upgrading right away. I have everything backed up and bootable externals of my OS, I have nothing to fear but fear itself. Frankly, I welcome our new Snow Leopard Overlords.
     
  20. SteveK1230 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Aug 25, 2009
    #20
    not yet.

    I work with FCP and (Gasp!!!) Avid Media Composer. While I haven't heard of any adverse effects upgrading with FCP Studio 2, my Avid console still has to run on a Tiger (10.4). So now Avid will be two upgrades behind...But if your not sleeping with the enemy (I can't help its still about 90% of the industry), you should be fine.
     
  21. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

    TheStrudel

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2008
    #21
    If CS3 isn't broken (I don't want to upgrade until CS5), I will. Who told you not to upgrade if you were using FCP7?
     
  22. benborman macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 28, 2008
    #22
  23. RebootD macrumors 6502a

    RebootD

    Joined:
    Jan 27, 2009
    Location:
    NW Indiana
    #23
    Adobe put out an official PDF/letter stating that CS4 will work (too bad for CS3 users I guess?) http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/files/Adobe-SnowLeopard_FAQ.pdf

    Now if someone can tell me if my new NEC Spectraview II software will work I will happily upgrade! (I pre-ordered it but I won't install it until I know for sure since it would be a deal breaker)
     
  24. okrelayer macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 25, 2008
    #24
    Ive had loads of issues with Logic Studio 9 thus far(most of it was my fault loll) , so i am using a clean install of snow leopard to get everything intact.

    A few apps i use are on that list, but none of them for music production. Just tiny apps that i use every so often. I am sure they will be updated when i plan to use them next.
     
  25. lemonade-maker macrumors 6502

    lemonade-maker

    Joined:
    Jun 20, 2009

Share This Page