Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
It looks like it might have the right features to get some of the market's attention. Android apps to start. Already a developers kit available. Every hardware feature imagined except phone capability (excluding VOIP). GPS, Accelerometer, 10 finger multitouch, WiFi, Bluetooth, two cameras (VGA for video chat and HD for photos and videos), and SDHC up to 32gb slot. Will come with up to 32gb as well. Not as thin or pretty as the Touch though, although still very pocketable with a 3.5" 480 x 320 screen.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
nice post puffnstuff!!!

Creative makes great stuff ;) I have the Vado HD and Zen X-Fi. They both kick some serious _____!!!!

only thing is, if you didn't know. They software does not run on Mac OS! I was told by my techie at work, he thinks it is because someone high up used to work for Apple, and they broke off and started Creative, and more or less...wanted nothing to do with Apple.

anyone know if this is true???

CrackBookPro:cool:

toxictrix

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2009
Texas
Dang that looks nice. Unfortunate it couldn't have 64 gb of internal memory and expandable for even more. I definitely think that if I didn't have an iPhone I would be picking one of these up.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
News to me, everything I've ever had of theirs has been a big steaming pile of...

Still, I'm sure they make some great stuff.

They make great speakers for one. What did you have? I mean, I could say the same about Apple in certain cases, but on the whole Creative makes great products. I do have the high-end items from Creative, so maybe that's the case ;)

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
They make great speakers for one.

No, they don't. Their speakers might be OK if we compare them to some other generic "multimedia-speakers", but if we compare them to proper speakers, they are crap.

on the whole Creative makes great products.

On the whole, Creative makes crap. Their sound-cards are crap (and they used totally unethical means to kill a superior product, and the company behind it. Go read about Aureal Semiconductor), their speakers are crap, their drivers are utter crap, their mp3-players are crap as well.

I do have the high-end items from Creative, so maybe that's the case ;)

Creative does not make "high-end" products. What you have is low-end stuff, maybe average at best.

milk242

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
Now we know where those leaked "iPhone 3GS" bezels were for!

Sweet device, if it was a phone, I would toss my iPhone

Discostu7

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
This is exactly everything everyone wants in an iPod Touch. Creative has obviously "raised the bar" but with the lack of applications that could be a problem for a year or two.

I'd still like to see a lot of these main features in action.

Will Apple fireback and raise the bar higher??????? TBD......

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
No, they don't. Their speakers might be OK if we compare them to some other generic "multimedia-speakers", but if we compare them to proper speakers, they are crap.

On the whole, Creative makes crap. Their sound-cards are crap (and they used totally unethical means to kill a superior product, and the company behind it. Go read about Aureal Semiconductor), their speakers are crap, their drivers are utter crap, their mp3-players are crap as well.

Creative does not make "high-end" products. What you have is low-end stuff, maybe average at best.

I'm sure "average at best" is something you hear a lot - My Vado HD is sick! :cool: ...you should get one!

hahaha...ok, Creative is crap :rolleyes:

your post is bogus!!! :eek:

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
I'm sure "average at best" is something you hear a lot - My Vado HD is sick! :cool: ...you should get one!

hahaha...ok, Creative is crap :rolleyes:

your post is bogus!!! :eek:

What's bogus is to claim that Creative makes "hi-end" stuff. They don't. Hell, even their claim to fame, soundcards, are average at best! Their speakers are nothing to write home about, and I can't understand why you would value them so highly. their business-ethics are appalling (like I said, go read about Aureal Semiconductor) and they just can't write any software. Their mp3-players are just generic "me too!"-garbage.

I honestly can't think of any reason why anyone would consider Creative to be a manufacturer of "hi-end" products... They are the epitome of average-at-best consumer garbage.

Let me guess: you also think that Bose makes "audiophile"-hardware?

Reading you comments makes it seem like that you are at most 15-years old. Am I right? If I am, then you would be excused for having somewhat limited exposure to different products and companies and therefore thinking that Creative is a "hi-end" company.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
What's bogus is to claim that Creative makes "hi-end" stuff. They don't. Hell, even their claim to fame, soundcards, are average at best! Their speakers are nothing to write home about, and I can't understand why you would value them so highly. their business-ethics are appalling (like I said, go read about Aureal Semiconductor) and they just can't write any software. Their mp3-players are just generic "me too!"-garbage.

I honestly can't think of any reason why anyone would consider Creative to be a manufacturer of "hi-end" products... They are the epitome of average-at-best consumer garbage.

Let me guess: you also think that Bose makes "audiophile"-hardware?

Reading you comments makes it seem like that you are at most 15-years old. Am I right? If I am, then you would be excused for having somewhat limited exposure to different products and companies and therefore thinking that Creative is a "hi-end" company.

funny stuff...

I would agree with you if you said the software was subpar, but they do make great products...I guess, I should say hardware more or less...so you don't start smashin' the keyboard with your paws :cool:

Let the thread take its' course, the OP is trying to get some positive feedback, and there is some to be had on this new Creative Zii!

puffnstuff

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 2, 2008
The thing that got me the most excited about this was "open source" no worries about having to go through the store.

dark-saito

macrumors regular
Not sure if it's been said already...

Doesn't this look ALOT like the frame the new iphone was supposedly to have? Just speculation... if someone would like to look for the pic, would be great, but I'm a bit of a noob, so I would probably give up on the first attempt to type it in the search bar.:p

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Doesn't this look ALOT like the frame the new iphone was supposedly to have? Just speculation... if someone would like to look for the pic, would be great, but I'm a bit of a noob, so I would probably give up on the first attempt to type it in the search bar.:p

Yes you said it and I don't care. It's rather amazing and I do want one.
My Creative Zen was rather awesome. I just needed to be cool and own an iPod back around the 4G days.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
funny stuff...

I would agree with you if you said the software was subpar, but they do make great products.

They make average products at best, hardware or software. And since their hardware relies on software to work, their subpar software drags their hardware down as well.

Let the thread take its' course, the OP is trying to get some positive feedback, and there is some to be had on this new Creative Zii!

While it looks interesting on the surface, it doesn't really look that much different from all those other players that were supposed to "kill" the iPod, and ended up going nowhere. Companies like Creative, Cowon, Archos and others that on the surface looked like solid competitors to the iPod, yet they ended up being relegated to a niche of a niche, since in real-life use they weren't that good.

crackbookpro

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2009
Om nom nom nom
They make average products at best, hardware or software. And since their hardware relies on software to work, their subpar software drags their hardware down as well.

ok, we get it :rolleyes: ...you don't think highly of Creative, no matter what they come out with :confused:

Is there anything positive about this Creative Zii on your end?

Chaszmyr

macrumors 601
Aug 9, 2002
News to me, everything I've ever had of theirs has been a big steaming pile of...

Still, I'm sure they make some great stuff.

I've had a number of Creative products over the years, of all different types. Every single one of them has sucked.
Admittedly, I gave up on their products years ago, so who knows what they have done recently.

Evangelion

macrumors 68040
Jan 10, 2005
ok, we get it :rolleyes: ...you don't think highly of Creative, no matter what they come out with :confused:

I will think highly of them when they actually come out with some good products. But as things are right now, their products are nothing to write home about. Why exactly should I be praising them? Should they be praised for killing superior products, while peddling mediocre crap to consumers?

It would also help if they apologized for the fact that they retarded the audio-technology in computers by years by killing off Aureal. I'm not holding my breath for THAT....

Is there anything positive about this Creative Zii on your end?

To me Zii is just a bunch of vaporware. I remember when they released it by claiming how it's going to change everything. That was (IIRC) 1.5 years ago. Nothing much has come of it.

As to the product now being demoed.... I fail to see much difference between it and those other "iPod-killers" that are routinely demoed, yet end up going nowhere. Sure, they are released, but then people find out that they aren't nearly as good or cool as marketdroids claimed they would be. I remember when this was touted as "THE iPod-killer", yet reality turned out to be something totally different. Know anyone with Cowon S9? Me neither...

tabasco70

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2009
Japan
wow. that thing is beautiful.
and being open source, the possibilities are endless. no more jailbreaking necessary.
unless Apple steps its game up this September (excited for the updates) then i might have to get myself a zii egg plaszma.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.