Credit card only for pre-orders?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by phas3, Jun 8, 2010.

1. phas3 macrumors 65816

Is this how it's going to be on June 15th? No debit visas?

2. elephunkman macrumors 65816

From AT&T's press release, I think if you plan on preordering from AT&T, it is credit card only, no debit.

3. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

You could probably go in store with a debit card though. Try calling Apple / ATT.

4. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I hate ATT reps, what about the Apple store do we have any info on that?

I was at an ATT store yesterday asking them questions about the new Iphone 4 (I was monitoring the WWDC Live feed word for word mind you) they didn't even know that it uses a Micro-Sim. Then the rep proceeds to tell me that both APPLE AND ATT stores will have a credit card only pre-order system and that they are only going to ship it to your house and you can't pick it up in store.

5. schwell macrumors regular

Do you really think a rep in an AT&T store is going to know all the details of a new iPhone? They sell other phones as well. They probably do not spend 10 hours each week on MacRumors perusing the latest iPhone specs.

I bet they will allow you to pick up in store for pre-orders.

6. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

I just talked to ATT and Apple and they both said you can pre order for delivery at home with credit or debit.

7. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

Most "debits" function as credits nowadays as "check" cards. Basically they're accepted as credits but withdraw your cash instantly.

8. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

thank you now me and the gf are going to have two iphones delivered on the 24th! w00000000000 I want her to get the white one so I can get the black haha

9. Nicolecat macrumors 6502a

Nicolecat

Can't you normally run your debit card as credit?...

nm, I see the above post now...blind moment. :)

10. elephunkman macrumors 65816

11. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

Most debit cards can be ran as credit cards....I don't understand

12. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

+1

I think AT&T is referring to "ATM" cards, which as the name implies, are only used for withdrawing cash at ATM's and occasionally can be ran as debits (but never credits)

13. phrint macrumors 6502

Debit cards run on two networks: Credit (logo on your card) and debit (Novus, etc.). You can process a purchase as debit by entering your PIN and it will piggyback off of a few different networks. The credit purchase eliminates a majority of the secondary clearing companies which is why banks incent their customers to use their debit cards as credit cards. This reduces the fees the banks have to pay the clearing debit networks.

Anyway, I would not recommend that you use your debit card because the amount of the phone would be "held" until the purchase clears meaning that the $199 or $299 would show as pending on your account for a week and a half. This applies to using your debit card at hotels as well. They hold a certain amount of money on your card and that stays on for 10 days. The sucky thing is that the hold goes against your available balance. It would be wise to borrow a credit card if you can.

14. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

I've got a Bank of America debit card, can't I use that as credit?

15. pound4pound30 macrumors 6502

pound4pound30

Exactly

16. zizo79 macrumors 6502a

zizo79

I will be using mine

17. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

As long as it has a Visa/Mastercard logo then yes you can.

18. elfxmilhouse macrumors 6502a

if it has a visa/discover/mastercard logo on it then yes.

19. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

20. mloffa macrumors 6502a

mloffa

This thread had me worried.
    I'll be using my Chase/Visa debit card and, just to make sure, it WILL work, right?

21. Carlos E macrumors 6502

Carlos E

If it has the Mastercard or Visa logo on it, yes.

22. phas3 thread starter macrumors 65816

okay so I'm still confused i've got a Bank of America debit card that has the visa logo on it. And from what I understand I can use that as credit? Will they hold my money or will it just be charged on the day it ships?

Since I can upgrade to the iphone 4 can I pre-order on the apple website or do I have to do it through the att website?

23. cgentry macrumors member

I'm also curious about when my card will be charged. I tried searching and didn't find anything. Does anyone know if I'll be charged at the time of preorder or if I'll be charged when it ships?

24. rjohnstone macrumors 68040

rjohnstone

Typically the merchant doesn't withdraw the money until they are ready to ship. They put a temporary "hold" on the funds.
    In other words the funds for the purchase will be frozen in your account until the transaction is completed.

If you cancel your order before shipment, the freeze/hold is removed.

25. cgentry macrumors member

So, let's say I won't have the appropriate funds into my account until Thursday. Would I be alright preordering tomorrow as long as the funds are in the account by the shipping date?