Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juarez7514

macrumors member
Mar 17, 2009
i got off the phone with an apple sales supervisor and he stated that when you reserve the phone, that is when you will be charged. so if you reserve it tomorrow online, then you will be charged tomorrow.

hope that helps

John T

macrumors 68020
Mar 18, 2006
UK.
This subject was covered pretty comprehensively yesterday!

The difference between a Credit and a Debit cards is pretty simple and obvious.

Money used to purchase an item using a Credit Card is credited from an account held by the card company (Visa, Mastercard etc) on behalf of the client. Purchases are "credited" to the client up to a pre-arranged limit.

Money drawn on a Debit Card is taken (debited) from a bank account held in the client's name. Should there be insufficient funds in the bank account at the time of purchase, the request will obviously be refused. A Debit Card is in essence, a plastic cheque.

Many (the majority) of companies will NOT accept pre-orders on a Debit Card simply because they have no idea if sufficient funds will be in the account when the payment is due. However, some companies overcome this problem by withdrawing the remittence before the pre-ordered item is available.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
i got off the phone with an apple sales supervisor and he stated that when you reserve the phone, that is when you will be charged. so if you reserve it tomorrow online, then you will be charged tomorrow.

hope that helps

Let's pay attention to semantics here. There IS a difference between "reserve" and "preorder." Reserving for store pickup should not require any financial transaction and the customer pays at the time he/she picks up the merchandise. Preordering will require putting in financial details and an authorization right then and there, with charging the account done at shipping.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008

Money used to purchase an item using a Credit Card is credited from an account held by the card company (Visa, Mastercard etc) on behalf of the client. Purchases are "credited" to the client up to a pre-arranged limit.

Money drawn on a Debit Card is taken (debited) from a bank account held in the client's name. Should there be insufficient funds in the bank account at the time of purchase, the request will obviously be refused. A Debit Card is in essence, a plastic cheque.

Many (the majority) of companies will NOT accept pre-orders on a Debit Card simply because they have no idea if sufficient funds will be in the account when the payment is due. However, some companies overcome this problem by withdrawing the remittence before the pre-ordered item is available.

well since my card has a visa logo on it, and its connected to my bank account does that make it a debit or can i use it as both?

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
So, let's say I won't have the appropriate funds into my account until Thursday. Would I be alright preordering tomorrow as long as the funds are in the account by the shipping date?

You might have to wait till Thursday. It might show that you have insignificant funds in your account (if we are talking about a debit card here). You shouldn't have to worry though, as I'm pretty sure you will still be able to order by Thursday without them running out of stock and causing a delay in shipping.

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
I've spoken to two apple reps so far from the stores, working on my third one. This is what they said:

If you pre-order and have it shipped to your house/business whether you do this at your home or at the apple store, you will be charged that day.

If you go online and reserve/choose the option to go pick it up at the Apple store you will not be charged at all. One rep also said that when reserving you will not be asked any credit card info, you will be charged once you go to pick it up at the store on the 24th

And both of these options are available on the website.

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I've spoken to two apple reps so far from the stores, working on my third one. This is what they said:

If you pre-order and have it shipped to your house/business whether you do this at your home or at the apple store, you will be charged that day.

If you go online and reserve/choose the option to go pick it up at the Apple store you will not be charged at all. One rep also said that when reserving you will not be asked any credit card info, you will be charged once you go to pick it up at the store on the 24th

And both of these options are available on the website.

Yes, that is the way things were handled for the iPad launch.

Amblinman

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2007

This is simply not true. Debit cards with Visa or MC logos are treated as credit cards in terms of universal acceptance. The scenario you're outlining above could easily happen with a credit card - they authorize the amount and the person can then max out the card later one. The same thing would happen to the debit purchase as it would the credit in that instance - it would be declined. Debit cards hold no more of a risk to merchants than credit cards do. In fact, merchants love when people use debit cards because the process to chargeback is much, much more difficult with a debit than it is a CC. And rates charged for debits are lower than what the CC companies charge.

Before you insist otherwise, please know that I've worked closely with all the major card companies for years as part of my employment. What I'm saying here isn't opinion, it's fact.

Olivia23

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2008
around
Okay I have a question about reserving instead of pre-ordering. If I go online to "reserve" the iPhone 4g, does that actually mean I am guaranteed an iPhone 4g on release day the 24th, or is it just a bunch of bs because Apple thinks they will not run out?

I want to pre-order but I'm afraid I will not have the funds in time. I transferred some money from my bank account to my paypal account. I have a paypal debit card and I was going to use that so I would not have to worry about the funds not being there in my banking account. Well paypal is saying the expected clear date for the fund transfer is on the 16th!!! I initiated the transfer Friday morning, I cannot believe it's taking this long!

elypcool

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2009
hey guys, out of the topic but do you know if we can get student discount on the pre-orders? probably not but just wondering

quaterbyadime

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2010
This is going back and forth. You can use your debit card and run it as credit, but can I use my debit and run it as debit on apple's site?

Thanks

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
Okay I have a question about reserving instead of pre-ordering. If I go online to "reserve" the iPhone 4g, does that actually mean I am guaranteed an iPhone 4g on release day the 24th, or is it just a bunch of bs because Apple thinks they will not run out?

I want to pre-order but I'm afraid I will not have the funds in time. I transferred some money from my bank account to my paypal account. I have a paypal debit card and I was going to use that so I would not have to worry about the funds not being there in my banking account. Well paypal is saying the expected clear date for the fund transfer is on the 16th!!! I initiated the transfer Friday morning, I cannot believe it's taking this long!

My experience with the iPad was that I reserved the WiFi 64 GB and then on Launch Day went over to the Apple store and got in the line for those who had placed a reserve. Apple store employee came around, checked with me to find out my name and what I had placed an order on. Went into the store and an employee assisted me, grabbing the box from the pile of boxes of 64 GB ones, and after I'd selected a couple of accessories, he completed the transaction with his iPod Touch POS device and voila -- I was the happy new owner of an iPad.

I didn't need to make any sort of payment at all until that point, the day of the launch, when I was actually in the store with the iPad box in my hand. So, yes, if someone is concerned about not having the funds actually available right away, but would have the money available by Launch Day, then making a reservation for in-store pickup probably would be better than placing a pre-order tomorrow, as with the pre-order one would have to provide a credit card number and the purchase would have to be pre-authorized, etc.

The Apple store would have the appropriate number of iPhones in each color and capacity available according to the number of reservations that were made, and they also will have additional inventory for those who did not make any previous arrangements. However, with the iPad it was made clear that I would need to pick mine up before 3:00 PM, as after that it would be released for general inventory, available to anyone. In my case, no problem, as I was there very early on the morning of Launch Day anyway.

Hope this helps!

phas3

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 5, 2008
another question if I am upgrading will an apple rep be able to help me with that and also will they be able to change my number?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.