Cried for GPS on Apple Watch, but I don't use it

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by marine0816, Sep 19, 2016.

1. marine0816 macrumors 6502a

marine0816

No GPS on the original Apple Watch was a serious deal breaker for me. When they announced support for the feature in series 2, I was excited. I was surprised to see that since I got my watch I still use my flipbelt for iPhone 6 Plus for runs , I need a phone in case of an emergency.

So its like you want the car with the turbo engine but you know you won't use it, you just want it in case you need it or to brag to say you have it.

2. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Totally opposite for me. I tried running with my phone once, and would never do it again .. especially given the size of phones today .. I have a 6 Plus also.

My Series 2 is replacing my Garmin watch which I was wearing along with the original AW. Until recently no one ran with their phone and managed fine in case of an emergency .. so I don't worry about that much. But I certainly understand those who feel more secure running with their phone.

3. barjam macrumors regular

Thats why I always argued that this was a non feature (for me). I would never, ever, ever consider running/biking without a phone and unless you are running around the block no one else should either. I have had to be picked up due to equipment failure, storms and so on.

4. idealcheese macrumors member

I love running without my huge iPhone. Game changer. I can even see a map of my route which is color coded to show when I ran faster and slower.

5. barjam macrumors regular

We used to not have antibiotics either and I wouldn't want to be without them, would you?. Being 50 miles away from your home on a bike or 8 miles away from your home on a run without a phone just isn't smart.

6. Bob190 macrumors 6502

Well .. considering 98% of everyone else is walking around with a phone in their pocket, you can always ask to borrow one if need be. I have been running for the better part of thirty years and it never seemed like a big deal to not have a phone strapped to me. Personally, I don't need to be constantly connected .. but that's me .. I can understand those who feel it's necessary.

On bike rides, I always carry my phone mainly because it isn't noticeable in a back jersey pocket and to your point I get much further from home.

7. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

I'd have to agree that today's phones aren't great for running. I used to run with the iPhone when it was 3.5" screen size but running with my iPhone 6s Plus now is a joke, even with an arm band. I'd rather risk leaving my home without a phone than have to carry my bulky 5.5" device.

8. frumpy16 macrumors 6502a

frumpy16

Yet somehow as a society we have made it to this very day despite the vast majority of history being in times WITHOUT cellular phones.

9. matrix07, Sep 19, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2016

matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

I always prefer running without a phone. That way the taptic feedback will come only from my work out, not all those Instagram notifications that coming through.

10. marine0816 thread starter macrumors 6502a

marine0816

I guess when the series 3 that will hopefully include LTE will finally satisfy everyone
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    Heart attacks, malfunctions, criminals etc.. so many reasons to need a phone while running. Just put it on "do not disturb" and get away

11. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I now run with a cheap flip phone. Can call 911 if needed. Everything else gets to wait.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 19, 2016 ---
    If we are taking it this far, might as well go without the watch too. People ran marathons before hackers as well. Cars have also gotten safer and etc.

obviously anyone is free to run wothout a phone. Not many want to or feel safe doing so.

12. satchmo macrumors 68000

Where are you guys running that's so dangerous?

When I trained for marathons, I'd run either with a group (no one had a phone back then) and always in the daytime, in a good part of town.

And if I had to do a long run alone, I'd just do multiple loops in an area close to home.

13. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

It's not about inherent danger. It's just that anything can happen and I have a phone so I'd rather take it.

I've never been in a car accident either but I'm not about to remove my airbags or other safety features.

I run alone and it's often early in the morning or at night. Simply don't have the time during the day. If possible I like to head into the wooded paths. I've currently changed footwear to be minimalist and movin from a heel strike paten too; boy has that taken effort and stamina.

I did almost get hit by a car running three years ago Though. Kind of rolled over the hood, skinned my knee and hand, and messed up my iPhone case. Car pulled out in front of me. Didn't need to call emergency. Just brushed it off. But it certainly established the "anything can happen" mentality.

As a slight caveat I think phones have increased the distractions drivers face as well. Drivers are much more distracted now than they were years prior.

14. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

About 4 months ago about ½ mile from my house on a trail that is below street level and next to a national forest on a Monday a lady came around the corner right in from of me on a bike and slide down. Broke her ankle and the only saver was that I was running with my iPhone. If not I would have had to leave her and run up hill about ½ miles and then find a phone. "Danger" can be anywhere and any how.

15. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I always run with my phone in a belt around my waist (much more comfortable than an arm band) because I run "off the beaten track" a lot and need it in case of emergencies. I used to have a 6S+ which was a bit big, but I've now got an SE and find it a non-issue to run with it.

I was considering upgrading my watch, but because of the fact I always have my phone with me, I don't see a compelling need for GPS and will wait and see what the next generation brings

16. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

I'm going to disagree with you. I run a lot (in college, it was like 100-140 miles/week, now 70-80) and not one time in my 10+ year, several hundred thousand mile running career running career have I needed to be picked up. If I lived and trained in rural Montana, sure, it's possible, and it'd be silly to run without some lifeline. But if you live in a city, it's probably more likely that your phone will be a) smashed or b) stolen than you ever, ever needing it.

Is it a bad thing to bring? No. But there's no reason to worry people that they absolutely have to bring it.

17. Bob190 macrumors 6502

And then you have this .. which I unfortunately see all the time now.

The other day I was running on a multi-use path in a nearby public park. And there's this 30-something women, running .. albeit slowly .. and yakking on the phone at the same time (and definitely not calling for help in an emergency) while basically weaving all over the path. My only thought was how sad that someone can't unplug long enough to enjoy nature and running for the pure joy of it.

18. scriptkitten macrumors regular

scriptkitten

^^^ well, you can't really judge. Maybe she is a serious runner and a mom but the babysitter called with some problem she had to talk her through, and didn't want to fully stop running. It's hard to fully disconnect when you are a parent.

I run with my phone for safety. As a woman, the chances of being attacked are always playing in your mind... whether running trails or city streets.

I ordered the series 2 but I don't know if I'll ever use the GPS independent of the phone

19. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

Good point - there are all runners of all backgrounds. In my case, I'd never bring my phone. But others do. Cheers.

20. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

I plan on using the gps and Apple Music sync to run without my plus. It's the main reason I purchased the new Apple Watch.

That being said, running with my phone isn't much of a burden. I use a flip belt, which holds it firm against my waste. So, if my runs drain the battery too quickly, I'll continue to bring my phone.

21. lordofthereef, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016

lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

First of all your experiences don't dictate how the world works solely. Again, people have driven hundreds of thousands, in some cases millions, of miles and never gotten in an accident. That doesn't mean we should all decide to remove safety features because some guy somewhere never had to use them. That's not the point of a safety feature.

Further, you seem to misunderstand my stance. I'm neither trying to dictate nor do I really care what others do. Run naked. Honestly. I would be the last person to tell you how to live your live. I'm only here to explain why I find value in the things I find value in. I won't disagree with with you because I can't. Your experiences are not mine. Nor are mine yours. You're the one who entered the cinvesation claiming not to understand why people might want to run with a phone. This was explained to you and you're saying they're wrong. Huh?!

Your stance seems to be relying on the goodwill of others in the case you need to. That's a wonderful view of the world (no sarcasm here st all so please don't read it that way) but when I can have a tiny flip phone in a belt with my ID as a backup to said goodwill of others in happy to do that.

I'll end this statement by saying anyone who runs or bikes in Boston likely knows exactly where I'm coming from. A duck boat just this last summer killed a pedestrian. Someone in Cambridge just got hit by a car on his bike. Drivers are maniacs and pedestrians are insane. And so I will continue running with a phone. Live your life and I will continue to live mine.

Good day sir!

22. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Im guessing the OP is an active duty Marine, it is bad juju if the boss knows you have a phone and you don't answer it. That is why GPS meant nothing to me to begin with, i need my phone with me almost all the time because I want to know if there is an emergency with my kid or something

23. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

When I was active duty, the two best reasons for not answering a phone were because we were driving or doing PT.

Of course, we usually told each other, "Hey, I'm gonna go PT," and something was really that important, word got around to us anyway.

24. oftheheavens macrumors 68000

Yeah about the same. Us gym rats got a little extra chain for being "unreachable" and if word that really was an emergency got passed you would be found quick like no matter where you were. I don't miss that aspect of military life at all.

25. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I'm not sure what to think yet (I've only been out since the end of January), but I'm already missing the lack of communication in some civilian groups, at least compared to the unit I was in. I ended up passing word around in one of my classes because not everybody was checking Slack for last-minute schedule changes.