Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
First day the M1s dropped my late 2016 i5 16GB/512/Silver was worth $700 in trade. After reading through the threads and how well the M1 is doing with reviews I thought I'd check again and it dropped to $180 to $520!

I fully intend to get the new mythical 14" when it is released, I absolutely HATE the battery life and have grown tired of the butterfly KB on the 2016 i5. Big Sur upgrade literally kills my battery 1.5x post upgrade. I am honestly starting to think I'd be better off getting the M1 and trading out again when the 14 is announced, or will I be in the same exact boat. Speaking of boats, I don't want this become a boat anchor as have no place for an extra laptop with all the other Mac equipment we own.

What do you guys think?

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I see many folks going from the 16” to the 13” M1

What made you pick the 16 over the 13 in the first place, and would you miss it?

sorry I should have been more clear, I currently have the late 2016 13" MB Pro.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Looking at used Macbooks on eBay. Their value has tanked too. More so than the usual generational difference. My 2015 13" is worth less than the 2014 were before the M1 came out.

What one has to consider though is this new Macbook seems very popular right now. The used market is getting flooded. More so than usual.

The question is how much worse will it get? Given that Christmas is coming up. That means after Christmas. There will be a lot more used Macbooks and other Macs on eBay. As people open up their shiny new Macbooks on Christmas. I expect things to get worse in the used market before they get better.

There's also a lot of back orders on custom models of Macbooks. Which means even more used Macbooks are waiting to flood the used market as those come in stock.

Eventually that flood should turn into a trickle. So your used prices may spring back a little. It's just a question if that will happen before the next wave of ARM Macs are released.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
Ya, I noticed after I posted and re-edited. I say go for it.

thanks...I am mainly just using the machine to surf the web all day and music, and offloading pics etc. By rights I should probably just get a MB Air but I am not getting a machine with 8GB of ram, I don't even like the idea of 16GB of RAM to be honest in the event I decide to keep the machine for 10 years. Future-proof is how I am thinking about it, but maybe 16GB will be fine. I am also spoiled with the 4 ports, 2 on each side, and it's the fact they are on each I prefer, not that I need 4. I wish Apple implemented 1 on each side to satisfy those who are married to a charger in different locations....Maybe that won't be an issue as much with the new battery life, which is a big checkbox coming from this Intel hog.

Reactions: Zazoh and alien3dx

alien3dx

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2017
First day the M1s dropped my late 2016 i5 16GB/512/Silver was worth $700 in trade. After reading through the threads and how well the M1 is doing with reviews I thought I'd check again and it dropped to $180 to $520!

I fully intend to get the new mythical 14" when it is released, I absolutely HATE the battery life and have grown tired of the butterfly KB on the 2016 i5. Big Sur upgrade literally kills my battery 1.5x post upgrade. I am honestly starting to think I'd be better off getting the M1 and trading out again when the 14 is announced, or will I be in the same exact boat. Speaking of boats, I don't want this become a boat anchor as have no place for an extra laptop with all the other Mac equipment we own.

What do you guys think?
im in malaysia, in facebook marketplace. Mac price drop a lot and if your spec around 500 to 600 dollar.Here even m1 stock dont appear yet still drop a lot.

** waiting for m1 to order. haish

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Saw the writing on the wall and dumped my 2020 i7/32/2TB at a significant loss for a 2020 M1 MBA.
It's price isn't going any higher. Should've listened to my instincts and never bought my 2020 i7 as I saw the same with my G4 powerbook...

That's what I get for not trusting Apple to get the job done with the M1....

Bug-Creator

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2011
Germany
The question is how much worse will it get?

It won't get better, thats for sure.

Prices will take a fall for all the devices that are replaced (hence the 13" taking a tumble) thats obvious, but with this leap it also effects all the "bigger" units that either are or are close to being outperformed by M1.

Once everything is AS it will settle down (at low level).

Next tumble will be when x86 support is dropped from macOS1? and the deathblow will be 3rd party SW dropping support.

At that point we'd be at a similar point as to when I bought lots of PPC after 2010 (for use with MorphOS), that stuff was cheap, often only 50% of what 1gen Intel was (even though those were also dropped with Lion at that time).

Or in short, the "perfect" window for selling x86 Macs closed 3 months ago and will never be reopened.

Reactions: ECJ

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
It won't get better, thats for sure.

Prices will take a fall for all the devices that are replaced (hence the 13" taking a tumble) thats obvious, but with this leap it also effects all the "bigger" units that either are or are close to being outperformed by M1.

Once everything is AS it will settle down (at low level).

Next tumble will be when x86 support is dropped from macOS1? and the deathblow will be 3rd party SW dropping support.

At that point we'd be at a similar point as to when I bought lots of PPC after 2010 (for use with MorphOS), that stuff was cheap, often only 50% of what 1gen Intel was (even though those were also dropped with Lion at that time).

Or in short, the "perfect" window for selling x86 Macs closed 3 months ago and will never be reopened.
This is true for my 2019 MBP 16 as it's price also has significantly plummeted. It's street value is about the same as the 2020 MBP 13's!

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
thanks...I am mainly just using the machine to surf the web all day and music, and offloading pics etc. By rights I should probably just get a MB Air but I am not getting a machine with 8GB of ram, I don't even like the idea of 16GB of RAM to be honest in the event I decide to keep the machine for 10 years. Future-proof is how I am thinking about it, but maybe 16GB will be fine. I am also spoiled with the 4 ports, 2 on each side, and it's the fact they are on each I prefer, not that I need 4. I wish Apple implemented 1 on each side to satisfy those who are married to a charger in different locations....Maybe that won't be an issue as much with the new battery life, which is a big checkbox coming from this Intel hog.

They probably expect people who utilize the ports to use a charging dock. Which really does make life much easier. As you just use the one plug and all your peripherals are available.

As you're looking to dump a four year old machine which is fine for your described uses. Why would you expect to keep your next one for ten years? In four years time the Macbooks will be much better. Given that TSMC is on track for better process nodes (3nm). Next gen LCD fabs are coming online (Micro LED and OLED). PCIe 4.0 penetration and PCIe 5.0 (faster Thunderbolt and SSD). Higher RAM limits and faster RAM. Support for multiple external displays will most likely return. Perhaps Face ID for Macs.

anubis1980

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
I was very lucky and sold my 2015 fully specced map for a decent price the day after m1 came out. Almost felt guilty. I wouldn't wait on it, id sell as the prices won't be rising.

Reactions: Paul1980

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
Unless you truly need Intel / legacy

The Intel MBP13's were available in both two-port lower-tier and four-port higher-tier configurations.

Only the two-port models are transitioned to Apple Silicon so far. The four-port Intel models remain available for purchase. Presumably they will transition in the future.

IMHO "future proofing" is a waste of money - buy what you need for your current and (honestly) expected needs for the foreseeable time of ownership. Any more than that is usually just throwing money away - better to save the money for a future system purchase.

Zazoh

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
thanks...I am mainly just using the machine to surf the web all day and music, and offloading pics etc. By rights I should probably just get a MB Air but I am not getting a machine with 8GB of ram, I don't even like the idea of 16GB of RAM to be honest in the event I decide to keep the machine for 10 years.
10 years!? Wanna bet? You’ll get the 14 when it drops.

For what it is worth. I’m a developer, I use VM Ware Horizon to connect to work, Zoom Calls while opening nearly every Mac app and editing a photo, memory pressure never got above 2gb on the graph. Can’t think in terms of window memory with these M1s.

If you are doing Pixar Video editing or 3D rendering, you may need more memory. If you are not on the fringe you won’t need it. If you are, I’d wait till they release the machine you need.

deeddawg

macrumors G4
Jun 14, 2010
US
I was very lucky and sold my 2015 fully specced map for a decent price the day after m1 came out. Almost felt guilty. I wouldn't wait on it, id sell as the prices won't be rising.
Agreed - Intel MacBook resale prices aren't going anywhere but down. If one of the M1 systems meets one's needs and there's not a dependency on Intel / legacy software or OS, then it's a good time to jump. Sold my 2018 MBP15 ASAP and was able to get a decent price.

pugxiwawa

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
I just sold my 1 month old 16" i9 1TB MBP for $250 loss to 'upgrade' to MBA, but I'm glad I did. M1 really is generational upgrades if you don't care about gaming/windows/16" screen. I sold mine on FB market place, but igotoffer was quoting a pretty respectful number for my machine. I was tempting to use them if my FB sale didn't go through. You should give that a try instead of trade-in to Apple. Good luck.

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
10 years!? Wanna bet? You’ll get the 14 when it drops.

For what it is worth. I’m a developer, I use VM Ware Horizon to connect to work, Zoom Calls while opening nearly every Mac app and editing a photo, memory pressure never got above 2gb on the graph. Can’t think in terms of window memory with these M1s.

If you are doing Pixar Video editing or 3D rendering, you may need more memory. If you are not on the fringe you won’t need it. If you are, I’d wait till they release the machine you need.

Thanks...Yeah I say 10 years because I kept my white MB for 10 years and replaced with this machine. It's unlikely I will keep it that long but I think I suffer from the old PC mentality of buying more than you need for future. I just can't stand the battery life any longer and my uses now require alot more mobility than they once did and that is about to increase with me being on the road more (real estate) for work. Big Sur has literally cut my battery life to maybe 3 hours with normal video and web surf activity.

acidfast7_redux

Suspended
Nov 10, 2020
uk
I’m in the computers are a disposable device camp. Buy and trade often. As long as you still have money to feed the kids, go for it.
Yeah, but that attitude does result in a lot of eWaste, which I try to avoid.

I understand that everyone else won't have this as a priority, but I, and my family, will.

Reactions: applefan19

digitalbreak

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2016

What do you guys think?
I traded my 2017 15” i7 16GB/256GB MBP with butterfly keyboard for a M1 MacBook Air 16GB/1TB. I also have the M1 8GB and can confidently say 8GB will be great for almost whatever you throw at it. I went with 16GB so I can push the machine further with Final Cut Pro editing/rendering.

My 2017 MBP with butterfly keyboard and 256GB storage space was getting bit outdated. Folks think twice already if you have the butterfly keyboard as it’s prone to failures and 256GB was already running out of space so I decided to upgrade.

Reactions: skids929

skids929

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 24, 2011
I traded my 2017 15” i7 16GB/256GB MBP with butterfly keyboard for a M1 MacBook Air 16GB/1TB. I also have the M1 8GB and can confidently say 8GB will be great for almost whatever you throw at it. I went with 16GB so I can push the machine further with Final Cut Pro editing/rendering.

My 2017 MBP with butterfly keyboard and 256GB storage space was getting bit outdated. Folks think twice already if you have the butterfly keyboard as it’s prone to failures and 256GB was already running out of space so I decided to upgrade.

Yes! Thats a point I forgot to mention as well, I get two of the same letter at times as well. Since Big Sur has not been much of an issue though I have to say. At the expense of battery.

4sallypat

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
I just sold my 1 month old 16" i9 1TB MBP for $250 loss to 'upgrade' to MBA, but I'm glad I did. M1 really is generational upgrades if you don't care about gaming/windows/16" screen. I sold mine on FB market place, but igotoffer was quoting a pretty respectful number for my machine. I was tempting to use them if my FB sale didn't go through. You should give that a try instead of trade-in to Apple. Good luck.
Wow, that was good resale on the 16" MBP!
I can't seem to let my 1 year old base i7 6 core 16" MBP - it's quoting $1260 on Apple trade in !
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.53.40 AM.png

Can't do that low after spending $2500 including AppleCare+ ! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.