Crohn's Disease, a poll

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yellow, Feb 5, 2008.

?

Crohn's Disease, ...

1. I have it.

7 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. I am related to someone with it.

18 vote(s)
    12.3%
  3. I know someone with it.

54 vote(s)
    37.0%
  4. I have heard of it.

38 vote(s)
    26.0%
  5. I have never heard of it.

29 vote(s)
    19.9%
  1. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I suffer from Crohn's disease, and there are a few others around the Forum that do as well.

10 years ago, I'd never heard of it. Now, my older sister, me, my cousin, and possibly my nephew all suffer from it. I meet more and more folks who have siblings/friends/relations/significant others who suffer from it, so I started to wonder what percentage of readers might be aware of it.

So here an informal poll on the subject..

2. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

My wife's sister-in-law has it, and a girl I used to work with has it, but I never found out much about what it actually is, so I'm aware it exists, but not really aware of the effects of it.

3. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

my brother and a friend of mine suffer from it-- really sucks!

4. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

Ah, in the interest of full disclosure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn's_disease

That wiki article states that "Crohn's disease affects between 400,000 and 600,000 people in North America", which would put it around 1 in 600 (assuming 500,000 sufferers). It seems to me that, statistically speaking, that the estimate is waaaay off.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Poor Katie's problems got you thinking eh? :(

I've known about Crohn's disease for about 10 years now (spelling aside) when my cousin became mysteriously ill. He was slow at getting to a doctor and the late diagnosis meant that surgery was needed to remove damaged intestine, so it was particularly rough on him. I remember visiting him and being shocked at how much thinner he was and how gray his skin colour was... He's ok now, but I think he needs daily medication and needs to watch what he eats.

6. freeny macrumors 68020

freeny

7. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

What makes you think that the estimate is very far off? Do you think it is more common than 1 in 600, or less? 1 in 600 seems like a reasonably believable ballpark to me.

8. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

It seems unlikely that I've met enough people to account for 1 in 600 number. I think the number of people who have it is a much higher number. Even accounting for '6 degrees of separation', I just haven't met enough people to account for all the folks I know who have or know someone who has Crohn's. Of course, it may be like when you get a new car.. you suddenly start seeing them on the road all the time..

9. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

One of my friends has been hospitalized multiple times due to complications with the disease.

10. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

My cousin was diagnosed with Crohn's a few years ago; however, no one else in our family has ever been diagnosed with it.

Shortly after being diagnosed, she encountered some complications resulting in a surgery to remove her colon. For a long time she had to have a temporary colon which wasn't the most glamorous thing. The disease is now controlled but she has succumbed to much larger issues and has been in and out of rehab due to the large amount of drugs she had to take over the years.

11. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think it may be the latter. Until my sister developed Crohn's (I'm trying to think when it was - it was sometime between 8 and 10 years ago), I'd never heard of it.

Even afterwards, I didn't hear much and would get kind of excited whenever I heard that someone else had it - the more famous the better. It seems that it takes someone well known developing a disease before it gets much press. I was hoping what's-his-name (not Eddie) from Pearl Jam (I think) would be useful, but I think he developed it (or revealed it) a few years too late for his celebrity to count for much. In the last few years I have noticed it more and more, but I don't know if I would have just ignored it had she not developed it.

12. marykay9507 macrumors 6502a

marykay9507

you also have to think about the people who have it, but have not been diagnosed..my bro had it for a while and it took an emergency room visit due to severe pain which resulted in his diagnoses.. he had no symptoms prior to the ER visit

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

My dad and aunt both have it. There is a genetic element to it that skips a generation. So, I guess if I were (god forbid :)) to have kids, they would be at increased risk for developing it.

14. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

In terms of you not hearing about people who have it, it's not exactly the type of thing people want to advertise. And a stomach disease is not the type of thing you can spot like a missing leg or bald chemo head. I'm sure that you know a lot more people who have crohn's (and other disease) than you're aware of.

15. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

A guy I knew during college had it. The only thing I noticed that was different was that he couldn't drink alcohol. I don't know if he had daily medication or not. After reading the wikipedia article it does not sound like any fun :(

16. pickledegg macrumors newbie

Bro in law has it, and so does his uncle, it cuts me up to see how ill he is, as hes only 28 :(

17. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

A friend from school (now in college) has Crohn's but other than that I don't know anyone with it.

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Was diagnosed with CD when I was sixteen (and I'm 37 now). After you've had CD for awhile, you begin to acquire some interesting new skills, such as a sixth sense for being able to quickly find the restrooms in any building.

19. yellow thread starter Moderator emeritus

yellow

LOL! Too true.

20. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

21. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I don't have it and I don't know anyone (in RL) with it. Is it less common in the UK?

22. tkidBOSTON macrumors 6502a

tkidBOSTON

My good friend has it. I hadn't even head of it before she was diagnosed with it though about 4 years ago.

23. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I am "related" to someone with it. My sister-in-law has it. I swear I've never heard about anyone talk about their pooping habits so openly.

24. ::Lisa:: macrumors 6502a

::Lisa::

I've heard of it and I know someone on a different forum with it, just not anyone in real life.
    Is it the one that gives IBS-like symptoms, or am I thinking of something else?

25. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark