Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Crohn's Disease, ...

• I have it.

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • I am related to someone with it.

Votes: 18 12.3%
  • I know someone with it.

Votes: 54 37.0%
  • I have heard of it.

Votes: 38 26.0%
  • I have never heard of it.

Votes: 29 19.9%

• Total voters

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Is it the one that gives IBS-like symptoms, or am I thinking of something else?

It really depends on where the disease effects you.

For me (and my half-sister) it's a problem with our terminal illium (the end of the small intestine, where it dumps into the large intestine). It swells shut and no food can pass, which is extremely painful not to mention all the food that backs up into the small intestine and stomach (to then be vomited).

Well, I should say.. it used to swell up. I had about 15" of my small intestine removed in late 2006. There's a whole host of issues (and plenty of meds) that I have now because of the surgery, but at least I haven't had to go to the ER to be admitted with an obstruction since 2005!

jzuena

macrumors 65816
Feb 21, 2007
I don't have Crohn's but have had Ulcerative Colitis for about 12 years. I do know 2-3 others that have Crohn's, though.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I have a very mild case of it, I take a few big ass blue pills a day and have no symptoms :)

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
Never heard of it but ulcerative colitis runs in the family which is very similar, my mother died of bowel cancer that developed as a result of it.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
cant eat wheat and gluten

Sounds like he has Crohn's AND Celiac. Man, that's tough.

Having suffered with this disease, I can't imagine how rough it would be to be diagnosed in one's teens! Talk about a depressing disease in a depressing and difficult time of life!

latergator116

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2003
Providence, RI
Definitely... and if that's not enough he's also a vegan (although he's recently started eating cheese). Already restrictive and picky diet + Chron's/Celiac = not fun!

exegete77

macrumors 6502a
Feb 12, 2008
I've known about Crohn's disease for about 10 years now (spelling aside) when my cousin became mysteriously ill. He was slow at getting to a doctor and the late diagnosis meant that surgery was needed to remove damaged intestine, so it was particularly rough on him. I remember visiting him and being shocked at how much thinner he was and how gray his skin colour was... He's ok now, but I think he needs daily medication and needs to watch what he eats.

My younger brother was diagnosed when he was 28, but the doctor had never encountered (small town). He eventually was diagnosed at Mayo Clinic and had some of both the large and small intestines removed, plus the valve between. That was 26 years ago, and while he has some bouts with it, he is doing remarkable well. When he has a flair up, the doctors put him on prednisone for a few months (with its accompanying side effects).

And yes, he could find the nearest bathroom quite quickly - almost as easily as a pregnant woman! :)

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Wirelessly posted (BB-8830: BlackBerry8830/4.2.2 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/105)

Prednisone. That crap is the reason I quit smoking cold turkey after 20 years. If quitting smoking kept me out of the ER/Hospital and therefore off of prednisone, then quit smoking I shall.
Hell, I haven't taken prednisone in 5 months. That's the longest I've been without it since 2004.
Previous record: 3 weeks

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Prednisone. That crap is the reason I quit smoking cold turkey after 20 years. If quitting smoking kept me out of the ER/Hospital and therefore off of prednisone, then quit smoking I shall.
Hell, I haven't taken prednisone in 5 months. That's the longest I've been without it since 2004.
Previous record: 3 weeks

Prednisone vs. being crumpled in pain and puking. It's basically a tie.

And actually, it's more like:
Prednisone yet still having some pain and nausea vs. being crumpled in pain and puking.

Hankster

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2008
Washington DC
I know a little about this illness from research. For those who have it or know those who do, how does it effect relationship?

iAthena

macrumors regular
Jan 22, 2008
USA
A friend of mine has it. Although he's had some medical emergencies because of it, he's still living a full life at the age of 48.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
And actually, it's more like:
Prednisone yet still having some pain and nausea vs. being crumpled in pain and puking.

I don't know.. I was literally on between 80mg and 20mg everyday for 3 years. Every time I'd get below ~15mg, I'd start having nausea and vomiting and pain and swelling. But.. that much prednisone for that long.. there are a lot of nasty side effects that really compound themselves when you take it for a long time.

I know a little about this illness from research. For those who have it or know those who do, how does it effect relationship?

I think it's tough. I'm lucky. My wife is wonderful and supportive. Some folks I know, not so lucky. Ultimately though.. IMO, finding a person who is understanding and supportive of an illness is the right kind of person for me anyway.

For instance, here's a link that I just stumbled upon.

Wormwood.. interesting.

motulist

macrumors 601
Dec 2, 2003
Wow, google's contextual ads are really on target! Look at the google text ads on this page, they're all about crohn's disease!

And if you try any alternative treatments like wormwood, definitely keep us updated and tell us if it does anything or not.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
(I don't see ads)

Will definitely keep folks up to date.

I am also going to try and identify a pattern with what I eat, which mean food journals. Boring and time consuming, but helpful.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
UPDATE:

Well, I've been on Remicade for a few years now and it's really helped control the disease. I haven't had a flare up in years.

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Very glad to hear that Remicade worked for you, yellow. I was allergic to Remicade, but was on Humira for several years with very good results (e.g. haven't been on Prednisone in years now). I've recently switched to Cimzia because the Humira wasn't working so well anymore.

SLC Flyfishing

Suspended
Nov 19, 2007
Portland, OR
My brother-in-law has it, as does a past coworker. I do not wish this malady on anybody!

Watch your health, don't you get flare-ups when your immune system is activated (when you get sick etc)?

SLC

Lyle

macrumors 68000
Jun 11, 2003
Madison, Alabama
Don't you get flare-ups when your immune system is activated (when you get sick etc)?
Yes, that tends to aggravate it for me.

Is this a well known remedy? The ones I know that have it have never mentioned anything that helps other than surgery.
Remicade and other anti-TNF meds like Humira and Cimzia are fairly "new" treatments (i.e. about ten years old) for Crohn's Disease. They're for moderate to severe CD. Surgery used to be the only option for the more severe cases, and in some cases it still is the best option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.