Crucial 4GB Memory Upgrade Problem: Potential Apple Issue?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by rcdhogan, Feb 17, 2008.

1. rcdhogan macrumors newbie

I have a new Santa Rosa Macbook 13" 2.2 Intel. I purchased the Crucial 4GB (2x2GB memory set) as listed from their advisor. When I installed both chips, the Macbook will not boot. When I have one of the factory 512 MB chips installed along with either of the 2GB chips, it boots and recognizes the additional memory. I emailed Crucial and their response is below.

Thank you for contacting sales and support. We are aware that this is happening and Apple is working on getting this resolved. This is compatible memory for your MacBook 2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo (13-inch White) MB062LL/B, so what I would suggest is using one 2GB module with one of your original memory to see if that temporarily works. You could contact Apple to see if they have any resolutions yet. If that works, we could do a return for the other 2GB module. Please let us know what you want to happen. Thank you.

Is anyone aware of this issue? Is it a firmware problem? I purchased the Macbook 2 weeks ago from the Apple store.

Is anyone else having problems with other brands of memory? I thought Crucial was one of the better brands, and it was slightly more expensive than the memory from OWC.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

I've had 4 GB for almost two months now. I wonder what the problem is with Crucial.

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

someone had this problem earlier last week, we just thought it was bad chips, but they worked when used together with one of the original sticks...crucial is crap i never buy crucial anymore, i stick with OCZ ive never had a bad stick of OCZ thats what im using in my MBP

4. rcdhogan thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you think I should just return the Crucial memory and just get another brand? If so, what should I buy....name brand only

5. goose1873 macrumors member

I used g skill from newegg...easy install and works perfectly (~80-100 bucks).

6. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

7. r76h23h78 macrumors newbie

I think it just may be a bad batch of crucial memory. I ended up getting OWC memory from macsales.com

Should be here tuesday when my new macbook comes.

8. Fezzasus macrumors regular

I am running 4 GB of crucial memory that was bought a few months ago - no problems. As mentioned, it could just be a bad batch.

9. marchu macrumors newbie

I've got the same problem. I bought a 4GB kit for my new iMac 24". The original memory that came with the system is 1GB.
    After installing the 4GB memory in the system following the instructions from Apple, my system wouldn't boot. Black screen and no response. After few attempts to make sure I have the memory modules firmly plugged in, I wasn't able to make it work. Then, I put back the original 1GB memory module back and it worked just fine.

I contacted Crucial via email, and got this reply :

"Thanks for contacting us. We have seen issues with this system. We have also contacted Apple about this and they are aware of the problem. They will be releasing a firmware update that should resolve this issue. We have found that you can install one of the 2GB modules along side the 1GB module you currently have installed. If you wish at that point you could return one of the modules and receive a credit."

According to the email, it seems that Apple is aware of the problem and releasing a patch. I am not sure if this is believable or just a pre-canned response or an attempt to point finger to someone else.
    Before trying their solution of using only one module, I called their support line, and the person insisted that I try the one module first before attempting to get the Return Authorization Number. And, I waited about 30minutes on the phone.

At this point, I am really inclined to return the memories and get somewhere else.

10. superleccy macrumors 6502a

superleccy

Oooh... sux. :mad:

Hope this doesn't happen to me, I've got 2x2GB sticks from crucial (UK) coming for my MBP Tomorrow.

This is a nice little getout clause from Crucial. They can point the finger at Apple because they know perfectly well that Apple won't lift a finger to help a customer who's dared to install 3rd party memory (gasp!) in a Mac.

SL

EDIT: It arrived at it works fine. Oooo 4GB feels nice. Smooooooth. :D

11. undaunted macrumors newbie

Yes I was also told this by Crucial (see original thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=434242)

I should be receiving a new batch of memory this week. As Dorv pointed out - the second batch seemed to work so I doubt that it would really be Apple's fault in this case.

12. marchu macrumors newbie

I just want to follow up on this and close it.

After the posting above, I tried each individual module (2GB) plus the original (1GB) for a total of 3GB in the system. Each module worked fine individually but not at the same time in the system.
    I contacted crucial and explained about the situation. The technical support person explained that they would send me another 4GB kit but he's not sure if they are going to work or not. I had accepted the offer and returned my kit via FedEx in two days ( I could opted for them to send the kit right away incurring another charge which they would refund upon receipt of my original modules. I didn't opt for this). I got the new memory kit in about 5 days after their receipt of the memory (from tracking system). I plugged these new memories in the system, and voila, it worked.

In summary, I can't tell if the problem is in the firmware that needs to be updated or in the memories themselves. In my case, new memories worked without any update in the firmware. Overall experience with crucial was all good except for the waiting on the phone (~30min 1st time, ~15min 2nd time). The most recent call, the technical person was corteous and helpful. And, the process of getting RMA, returning the memories and getting them back went quite smooth. Bummer it didn't work for the first time, my first bad impression was erased by their follow up on the exchange process and I'll give Crucial a second chance in my next purchase.

13. brandon.vong macrumors regular

Is 4GB sufficient for most people here? Just curious because I do not consider myself a heavy user but I looked at iStat and I had like 94MB of RAM free.

14. Lyshen macrumors 6502

I put 4 GB (2x 2GB) into my new Penryn MBP and it works fine. Bought mine from Newegg though, not from Crucial.

Brandon.vong,
    4GB is easily sufficient for most people. Not sure you can really increase it over 4GB in a laptop... I don't know of any manufacturers that sell 4GB sticks, and if they did... it would be super expensive.

15. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

For now, yes, 4GB sticks...well, I don't think anyone even sells them. The motherboard, however, does support more than 4GB if I remember correctly.

16. Lyshen macrumors 6502

Yeah the motherboard chipset does support more than 4 GB, just no supplier... :(

17. phatcat macrumors regular

18. Viper2005 macrumors 6502

Viper2005

I'm glad I ordered my RAM from OWC..
    I just installed their 4GB kit and having no troubles so far.

19. Brewhaus macrumors newbie

Ordered mine Saturday and should get here same time as my MBP. They were OOS for a while, I wonder if it was the mad rush or they found something.

Ships Mar 3-5 As of 3/2 rdy to ship!!!
    Delivery Mar 5-11

20. Dsr1205 macrumors 6502

i just put 2 kensington 2gig sticks in a MBP and they were the most expensive certifyed for apple on newegg but they worked perfectly.

21. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

22. Lyshen macrumors 6502

23. MagnumJoe macrumors regular

Yea I ordered it Friday I believe 2 sticks
    $99.98 with 2x15.00 rebate.

24. pompadork macrumors newbie

I'm thinking of going with 4gb of Corsair from newegg, only because the videos i saw of MBP boot camp gaming was done with it, haha.

25. rcdhogan thread starter macrumors newbie

Just received the replacement memory from Crucial, popped the 2x2GB sticks in and it worked just fine. Apparently the supposed "Apple" problem is really just a problem with certain lot numbers of memory Crucial has been selling.